Need advice to clarify purchase.

8 minutes ago, tacoofthehillpeople said:

Thank you for your reply. I do not mind constructive criticism. I welcome it. I am willing to learn. 

Hence my posting here. 

You think that comment of mine was addressed to you?  Can't you see that I was responding to someone else by the fact that I quoted his remark?

Edited by Just Weird

7 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

You think that comment of mine was addressed to you?  Can't you see that I was responding to someone else by the fact that I quoted his remark?

I know who you were replying too. I am thanking you for it.  It is the polite course of action.

I literally do not mind critical comments. His was just ignorant trolling. You acknowledged that. And I appreciate it. My comment is a sincere thank you. I was raised that way. One sends thank you notes. One acknowledges gifts. 

• Like 1

My many thanks to all those posting in a kind or helpful fashion. I will attempt to reply to all comments. If I link your comment you make to another. It is as thanks acknowledging your post. 

Troll posts will be acknowledged as well. In the manner they are recieved. 

I have been a member of this forum a few years now as a wallflower. Enjoying it as it is informative and sometimes entertaining. I am new to posting. Because I am at the point to seriously network. And I know that many here have traversed obstacles I shall surely encounter. Make logical sense to use what resources are available. And Thaivisa is a resource. As well as the numerous people who post here.

I do have another question.  I get an email from thaivisa daily. Somedays more than one a day. But at least daily.  The search function, does it not work? Today there was a forum topic that seems to be along the same lines. American guy looking to buy in Thailand. Yet the link goes to swimming in Rama 4. And a search for that title gets an error 524 message. This is the second time I have seen that message. And I copied and pasted the title into the search bar. Is it an issue due to my being on the other side of the world? Is the post closed? Just curious.

Thanks again for the replies.

12 hours ago, Nick ZepTepi said:

You probably have more rights as an illegal Mexican in the USA, than a legal expat in Thailand. ???emoji23.png

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm afraid that the only legal right expats here have, is the right to leave, once the cash melted away in the hot sun and Somchai's daughter has a new house and "her brother" a new Honda CBR 150. ?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

I'm afraid that the only legal right expats here have, is the right to leave, once the cash melted away in the hot sun and Somchai's daughter has a new house and "her brother" a new Honda CBR 150. ?

Thank you for the reply. It seems inaccurate. But as a cautionary tale I do note them. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tacoofthehillpeople said:

Another posted a link noting the possibility via a 1.2 million dollar investment into Thailand. So the possibility is there it seems. The feasibility is the issues.

YMMV but I'm about as likely to invest 1.2M$ in Thailand as I am to walk on the moon, not least because I will never have any right of abode here and will always be dependant on some sort of permission to stay. If I could easily afford to lose 1.2M$ then the answer might be different, but I am not in that situation. 10% of my net worth is as far as I am prepared to go, as if it all goes wrong here I can just walk away without losing any sleep.

As far as I'm concerned there is no practical way of owning a house and land in Thailand in your own name but by all means carry on looking if you like.

11 hours ago, tacoofthehillpeople said:

But OTB is going through the state legislature. Not likely to pass the first or second time. But they will not want to lose the revenue. So eventually I see it passing. Corruption amongst politicians is comforting. You can count on it.

Most of my neighbors are nice. While we do not socialize daily. There are several events throughout the year. And of course see them out in restaurants.

The 10k an acre can still be had. Spartanburg SC is about 30 minutes away. Greenville, SC is about 45 minutes. Their outlying suburbs have much in that range. Even less if one travels further south. Union county in SC has a listing for 347 acres. You can buy it for 140k. The only problem nothing there. 70% of the populace leaves the county for work. 

And I have a ketch rigged sloop in Charleston, SC. I grew up in Chicago sailing on Lake Michigan. Started with a Sunfish.  Maybe find a nicer group of people. Most sailors are nice. I do not own a mega yacht. So you may be speaking of the those in stratified air. Guys with 30 to 50 foot boats here are pretty nice. Happy to take people out. Any excuse to sail. About a third are live aboard  their boats in the marina. The only reason I live where I do is the ex. Her family is from the upstate. And she likes horses. I prefer the water myself. 

I think SC and Utah are about the only States without gamblin'.  My brother was married into a mess like that.  People name their houses..even with five or ten acres and wear sport coats to dinner..in their own home.  Lots of drinking..the trustees are prone to substance abuse, and often lack skills or desire.  But, yes, some easy to get along with people, just lots of hangers on, groupies, and those on the fringe of the big money.  I thought it was better closer to the city, where people commonly had high incomes; not just rich grandma's pulling the strings.

8 hours ago, KittenKong said:

YMMV but I'm about as likely to invest 1.2M$ in Thailand as I am to walk on the moon, not least because I will never have any right of abode here and will always be dependant on some sort of permission to stay. If I could easily afford to lose 1.2M$ then the answer might be different, but I am not in that situation. 10% of my net worth is as far as I am prepared to go, as if it all goes wrong here I can just walk away without losing any sleep.

As far as I'm concerned there is no practical way of owning a house and land in Thailand in your own name but by all means carry on looking if you like.

I too have no desire to lose 1.2 million dollars. That is a lot of money. While I would not be destitute. That would represent a loss of about 1/4 my net worth. And that would hurt, a lot. That is why I said whether or not it is feasible. The investment must be in Thailand. Makes sense I can see the justification  there. And barring a faux company to buy a home. What type of investments seems open. So I can avoid the buy a bar or the missus a little shop investment. Because I will have on going income. And I have a diverse portfolio. I can afford to park the money on a low yield investment. Investing would offset the capital gains I would have on the sale of my home here. And I have no intention of spending near so much on a home in Thailand. So I will have that money to park somewhere. 

Municipal bonds I am looking onto. Though I am not a fan. My most likely investment would be an indexed annuity. Thailand financial institutions have to meet the requirements to be on the boards across the world. It is why Bangkok Bank can have a branch in New York. So the indexed annuity should have the same protections. And I can easily discount percentages. I do not need it to earn beyond costs. Fund management fees and Thai taxes. The more I earn on that the higher my tax burden. So I have my broker here looking into it. I have my accountant doing the same. Bangkok Bank being license to operate in the US is a boon for me. They have to work within US law. So my fund enjoys the safety of the US markets. I am investing in a company that is not a shell to dodge taxes. Therefore no pesky IRS issues. As long as I can get a fund that makes COLA annually I will be happy and content to invest in Thailand.

This is not some spur lark to visit the land of smiles and drown in Thai babes. I may not be versed in Thai law. But I know money. I work damn hard for mine. Literally 70 to 80 hours a week. For the last 15 years. Unless I was on vacation. I have zero intention of losing that effort. 

And I know this shows number of posts. Mine is damn low. But I have been on this site since 2015 I think. Long enough to read countless stories. Some happy, many sad, and lots of trolls. So I have done due diligence. This is a continuation of that diligence. I know there is a law that says I can legally own property there. But is it actually feasible in practice. I will explain what I mean. There are laws on the books in the US that are archaic. One state I can legally beat my wife. As long as it is on the courthouse steps. And I meet the other requirements of that law. Now is it feasible to beat my wife on those steps? Even though it is still technically legal? Of course not I would end up in jail. Lambasted in the local news. Likely the national news as well. And yes I used a gross exaggeration to make the point. But it still stands. Whether it is something that can be done in practice in Thailand. That is why I asked here. This site is filled with Ex Pats and immigrants. And perhaps one of them may have tried this route, successfully or not. Or know someone who has. Perhaps while dealing with the legal quagmire run across it. 

And I am in no hurry. I am in my 30's. So this believe it is a good place to be now. I have several pm's. One my cursory internet search confirms what he said in his post here. His Thai wife is a translator in the legal profession. See a resource acquired. And the gentleman seems to be a generally good person. I would be happy to meet socially with him in Thailand. As well as potentially use his wife's services. Others not so helpful. But that is the same in life everywhere. Another linked an increase in what I thought. I understood it was a quarter rai. Apparently it is one rai. Another positive result obtained.

So again thank you for sharing your thoughts. I do actually consider the points valid to make. It is why I keep saying if practical or feasible. I like you have wants that are definitely not feasible. I would love to have the Sanctuary of Truth for a home. That is not possible. But a 20 or 30 million baht home? Easily doable. So I hope to narrow down things with every step. And believe it. People reminding me to be cautious is something that I am thankful for. 

9 hours ago, moontang said:

I think SC and Utah are about the only States without gamblin'.  My brother was married into a mess like that.  People name their houses..even with five or ten acres and wear sport coats to dinner..in their own home.  Lots of drinking..the trustees are prone to substance abuse, and often lack skills or desire.  But, yes, some easy to get along with people, just lots of hangers on, groupies, and those on the fringe of the big money.  I thought it was better closer to the city, where people commonly had high incomes; not just rich grandma's pulling the strings.

Well I earned my home. I grew up not poor. But definitely not in the neighborhood I live now. Typical solid middle class upbringing. And I do know people like you mean. But as I work a lot. I do not have time for the country club set. As mentioned earlier. My ex liked horses. So horse country was to make her happy not me. This post here. Is so I can do what I want with my life. 

And again, thank you for the missives. Most people here, family included. Are not receptive of SEA as a life choice. It is either I have yellow fever. And honestly lots of attractive Asian ladies. That is just being honest. Or that I just want to screw thai hookers. Pointing out we got thai hookers in the US escapes them. Hell if you want an actual Vietnamese hooker to utter that line from the movie. You can get that in the US too. Pick a country in Asia. US has a working girl from there. I am actually glad I stumbled across Thaivisa. One thing to actually thank fb for. 

With the amount of assets the OP claims to have, I am surprised he is wanting to acquire property in Thailand. There are times when Thailand is not pleasant to live in, e.g. the smoke season of February- March.

In his shoes, I would rent here, Spain, South America - whenever and wherever the season suits. And follow Warren Buffett's advice, park his moolah in an index fund.

5 minutes ago, tacoofthehillpeople said:

Well I earned my home. I grew up not poor. But definitely not in the neighborhood I live now. Typical solid middle class upbringing. And I do know people like you mean. But as I work a lot. I do not have time for the country club set. As mentioned earlier. My ex liked horses. So horse country was to make her happy not me. This post here. Is so I can do what I want with my life. 

And again, thank you for the missives. Most people here, family included. Are not receptive of SEA as a life choice. It is either I have yellow fever. And honestly lots of attractive Asian ladies. That is just being honest. Or that I just want to screw thai hookers. Pointing out we got thai hookers in the US escapes them. Hell if you want an actual Vietnamese hooker to utter that line from the movie. You can get that in the US too. Pick a country in Asia. US has a working girl from there. I am actually glad I stumbled across Thaivisa. One thing to actually thank fb for. 

lots of Koran hookers in the DC area.  Kind of pricey.  A friend used Backpage..she had him meet her at Panda Express..lol.

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

With the amount of assets the OP claims to have, I am surprised he is wanting to acquire property in Thailand. There are times when Thailand is not pleasant to live in, e.g. the smoke season of February- March.

In his shoes, I would rent here, Spain, South America - whenever and wherever the season suits. And follow Warren Buffett's advice, park his moolah in an index fund.

I have been to Europe. Have family there now. I like Asia better. Spain? Record high unemployment. Importing 3rd world refugees. And literally a bankrupt country. Have you seen the news? Paris looks like a third world in places. Not safe for Frenchmen in certain places in their own country. Northern Europe has an ongoing rape crisis. Add in the fact Europe costs many times what SEA does. Over priced and unsafe? I am originally from Chicago, IL. I could just move back home to experience that.

I have indexed funds already. Those in part are why I can look at moving to SEA by age 40. I have mentioned I am looking into whether that would be a qualified investment in Thailand. To satisfy the investment requirement for owning property.

And I have zero intention of just sitting at home sucking in smoke. There are places all over SEA I wish to visit. As well as other countries across Asia. Once situated I would plan accordingly. Thailand is flooding? Go check out India. There this smoke haze. Sounds like a reason to go see Kowloon. And as it takes about 35 hours to get from here to Amanpulo one way. Being based in SEA makes sense. Amanpulo is a couple hours away by puddle jumper from Thailand.

As for Warren Buffett,  I cannot afford a private jet. He can easily do so. And go to Omaha. Warren OWNS his home. He recommends home ownership as a way to increase wealth. If renting was logically the best choice. Why does one of the richest people on the planet own?

Thanks for the input. I will continue to sound out my current plan.

21 minutes ago, moontang said:

lots of Koran hookers in the DC area.  Kind of pricey.  A friend used Backpage..she had him meet her at Panda Express..lol.

I saw on the news. Backpage was shut down. Something about soliciting and trafficking underage girls.

I like Panda Express though. The local one to me does a fairly good job.

1 minute ago, tacoofthehillpeople said:

I saw on the news. Backpage was shut down. Something about soliciting and trafficking underage girls.

I like Panda Express though. The local one to me does a fairly good job.

even most of the stuff on craigs os gone.  Panda was OK in Phoenix.

Just now, moontang said:

even most of the stuff on craigs os gone.  Panda was OK in Phoenix.

I am in the Carolinas as I said. Almost every Asian restaurant within a couple of hours buy from the same distributor. Hard to believe the vast difference in quality amongst the preparation. 

1 minute ago, moontang said:

my nephew said there was a great Thai place close ro the main gate at Shaw AFB...otherwise he liked Nebraska much better.

I have a good Thai place near me. Standard pairing own it. American male and Thai female. Though likely not more than 10 years difference in their ages. I eat there at least once a week. Though you have to ask who is cooking at the time. As they have a Thai and an American who cook. They are definitely not on the same page heatwise. They ask 1 thru 10 how spicy you want it. The Americans 10 is 4 or 5 on the Thais scale. Her 10? Even Thai friends here will say it is too hot. I have tried it. No idea if it tasted good. As mouth is burning and can tell  nothing but hot.

On 7/7/2018 at 11:05 AM, KittenKong said:

Use your money to buy property in a country in which you can legally own it (and ideally in which you have right of abode).

Rent it out.

Take the income from that and rent somewhere in Thailand to live in.

For the visa: join Thai Elite until you are 50, at which point you can get a cheap retirement extension regardless of whether you are retired or not, and regardless of whether you mostly live here or not. The Thai Elite visa allows you to come and go as you wish for at least 5 years, with minimal paperwork requirements. Various price points are available but even the cheapest is quite expensive.

https://www.thailandelite.com/?locate=en

I feel the urge to talk to the OP like a Dutch Uncle: Take the advice of Kitten-Kong seriously. WHY?
Thailand does not offer "Legal-Certainty" as we know it from Farangland.

This not only concerns "property-rights", it extends to Criminal & Civil law plus Immigration matters. The federal-laws (made in Bangkok), are mere recommendations to local power-brokers.

As Kitten-Kong has suggested: There is nothing wrong with owning property in a country where "Legal-Certainty" is assured (not Thailand) and have the rental revenue transferred to Thailand.

A recent case in point: Practically overnight, small Guest-House/Hotel Owners must now aquire a "License". 90% of those owners can not possibly comply with those outlandish demands.
Such "laws" can be implemented overnight with a stroke of a pen. In any country where "Despotism" reighns, it is advisable to limit ones assets to things that can be packed into a suitcase, knowing that ones major assets are located in a country where "legal-certainty" exists.
The more so, as there are certain indications emerging that point to the fact that 3 week tourists are far more desirable guests than long term Farang dwellers. Not saying that the future of long-term Farangs is hopless or worse, just saying that it is likely to become harder and harder to remain as a "long term Farang" in Thailand. This should be included in any sort of Investment Plans.

And the moral of the story: The only thing that is sure in Thailand is that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. Everything else can change overnight with a stroke of a pen.
Investors paradise.
Cheers.

1 hour ago, swissie said:

I feel the urge to talk to the OP like a Dutch Uncle: Take the advice of Kitten-Kong seriously. WHY?
Thailand does not offer "Legal-Certainty" as we know it from Farangland.

This not only concerns "property-rights", it extends to Criminal & Civil law plus Immigration matters. The federal-laws (made in Bangkok), are mere recommendations to local power-brokers.

As Kitten-Kong has suggested: There is nothing wrong with owning property in a country where "Legal-Certainty" is assured (not Thailand) and have the rental revenue transferred to Thailand.

A recent case in point: Practically overnight, small Guest-House/Hotel Owners must now aquire a "License". 90% of those owners can not possibly comply with those outlandish demands.
Such "laws" can be implemented overnight with a stroke of a pen. In any country where "Despotism" reighns, it is advisable to limit ones assets to things that can be packed into a suitcase, knowing that ones major assets are located in a country where "legal-certainty" exists.
The more so, as there are certain indications emerging that point to the fact that 3 week tourists are far more desirable guests than long term Farang dwellers. Not saying that the future of long-term Farangs is hopless or worse, just saying that it is likely to become harder and harder to remain as a "long term Farang" in Thailand. This should be included in any sort of Investment Plans.

And the moral of the story: The only thing that is sure in Thailand is that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. Everything else can change overnight with a stroke of a pen.
Investors paradise.
Cheers.

A lot of what you say is true. Thailand has corruption. But so does the US. Name a single country that does not. I am from Chicago, IL. originally. Believe me Thailand is no more corrupt than that. Hell maybe less corrupt. Definitely less corrupt than Washington, DC, the United Nations, or the EU. And if you had read my running commentary. I specifically do not want to own a business in Thailand. I want to own a home. A little plot of land with a house.

There are certain things that will remain safe, or as safe as any business will ever be. Pattaya, discounting walking street is an international business hub. That is not going to just change. The Thai government needs that business operating.

The Brits have been there since before the US ended Slavery. And they are still operating in Thailand today.

Bangkok Bank? To operate in NYC and internationally  certain requirements are legally required in the international market place. Thailand does not get a pass and cannot just change those rules.

Your example about guest houses/hotels. Most countries require licensing for them. Not a big stretch to see that happening. In fact it kind of speaks of standards being implemented. And big surprise a government wants to be able to tax and procure more fees, whodathunkit? Still less than taxes they would pay in the US or Europe I bet.

My current inquiries are indexed annuities through Bangkok Bank. As it is a common investment vehicle. Should satisfy the investment requirement to own property. I will see what happens. And because they must meet international agreements and comply with international banking laws, as safe as doing it here in the US. 

Now could they Nationalize everything overnight? Of course they could. But considering the restrictive nature already in place. There is no upside to that scenario for the Thai government. And a hell of a lot of downside. So I am going with more of the same happening. The government continuing blunder about as all governments do.

You have a few thousand posts on Thaivisa. Others have tens of thousands. Some have been in Thailand decades. Others just TV regulars. All still there/here. Some miserable on barstools. Others happily with the little missus for ages. All suffering and enjoying the foibles of life on Terra Firma. Thailand has not run them all off yet. They seem to be getting on with their lives. None fleeing the coming terror. While I appreciate your sentiment. I take it as well intentioned. The hyperbole is ridiculous. For if what you say is true. Why do billion dollar companies risk building there? Why are you "swissie" on Thaivisa and not Swiss Visa? Must be more upside to Thailand for you than down.

And even if you are right. With a stroke of the pen I lose my potential home in Thailand. Exactly how would I be any worse off than paying 30k or 40k baht a month rent? I would still be out the money. But under the most likely scenario. I can under treaty provisions leave it to my heir(s). Who most likely would be half Thai anyway. As I will not be marrying a Hollywood movie star. Because I am not around them to meet. Living in Thailand it would be likely the next Missus Taco would be from where I am living and meeting people, Thailand.

5 hours ago, tacoofthehillpeople said:

And even if you are right. With a stroke of the pen I lose my potential home in Thailand. Exactly how would I be any worse off than paying 30k or 40k baht a month rent? I would still be out the money.

I explained to you way back at the beginning of the thread how to avoid that problem.

Take your money. Buy something that you can legally own in another country, preferably one in which you have right of abode. Rent it out. Use that income to pay your rent here. End of problem.

If you really cant stand the idea of living in rented accommodation, and feel that you must own your home here, just do what everyone else does: buy in company name. It's not legal, it will cost you more than you expect due to yearly company fees and taxes, it will cost you more again when you close the company, and it will probably end up biting you in the *ss at some point when the government finally clamps down on it. But in the meantime you will have the satisfaction of not paying rent and of being able to paint your walls any colour you like.

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I explained to you way back at the beginning of the thread how to avoid that problem.

Take your money. Buy something that you can legally own in another country, preferably one in which you have right of abode. Rent it out. Use that income to pay your rent here. End of problem.

If you really cant stand the idea of living in rented accommodation, and feel that you must own your home here, just do what everyone else does: buy in company name. It's not legal, it will cost you more than you expect due to yearly company fees and taxes, it will cost you more again when you close the company, and it will probably end up biting you in the *ss at some point when the government finally clamps down on it. But in the meantime you will have the satisfaction of not paying rent and of being able to paint your walls any colour you like.

Well a query for you than. If Thailand sucks so bad. Why are you here? Literally a gazillion places on the net you could be. That per you are safer, better, etcetra. Over 200 countries on this planet not named Thailand. See my point? And Multi billion dollar corporations still invest in Thailand. Odds are they know what is going on with the government more than you do. LITERALLY have people on TV in SEA for decades. And besides the girls getting fatter. No real changes most say. Every buffalo is sick or dying still.  But they are still in Thailand. Not scurrying to get back to the west. SO obviously it is not as bad as you make it out to be.

Europe? will be gone as we know it within 2 generations. That is not opinion, That is numbers from the WHO. We in the US have about half the voting population that want to bring in the soaring economies of Cuba and Venezuela to the US. I started out in business in a city infamous for corruption. Made a go of it. I get risk. I understand hesitation. But your advice is punch a clock and never take a chance. WITH i might add no real reason to not try. Phantoms that may never happen?

I have covered various concerns. For two reasons. One to show due consideration to potential issues have been noted. And because My investment does matter to me. Maybe you couldn't make a go of it. Maybe you got played. There is NOTHING I have seen showing the Thai government nationalizing anything more than they already do. They are already have some of the strictest laws in the world. No need to do more. Your well they are now requiring licenses for businesses that operate? That is just bringing them in line with the western world. Hardly the sky falling on Chicken Little. So I do appreciate your trying to be helpful. But your posts are nothing but negative about the place. I could lose what I have invested in the markets tomorrow. I am still keeping my money in.

Do you have some insider knowledge? Pillow talk with an upper level official? If you do, It is precisely why I posted in the first place. TO get as I asked actual knowledge of what is possible. I knew there was a legal avenue to owning land. I asked if anyone knew anything about it. Not heresay. Actually had done it. Or knew someone that had.  My first reply was from a troll. I got others that are even more ignorant of Thai law than I am. 

And again, I have stated repeatedly, IF it is feasible. After all my inquiries. I may not even end up buying a home there. That is literally the point of me posting. To winnow out the chaff. I have looked at Palawan in the Phillipines. As I have stayed in the Sulu Sea before. Conde Nast routinely lists Palawan as a Top Spot.  I know it is cheaper than Thailand. Language is less an issue in PH. As the whole country speaks English. I have a friend who was in Finance here in the States. He is in Vietnam now. I have looked there. Every single point you make. Could be used on any of them. Yet the last visit to Thailand, Krabi was filled with visitors. Same with Boracay in PH. And My very first visit to the Phillipines. Now 12 years ago. No more restrictive. Same as My first and last visits to Thailand. Of course I have never stayed more than a month. But no issues.The Thai police were not stopping me on every corner asking for my papers. So again if you have some concrete information about why I am happy to hear it. Vague hypotheticals I can dream up on my own. 

The guest house thing is more of a positive for the rule of law, than a negative...give people an inch, they take a mile.  Bunkbeds crammed into any firetrap...that is what it became.  The laws were in place for years.  Like squatters, just because you have been illegal for years, does not give you the permanent right.  Almost, none of the guesthouse owners, owned anything, they leased the premises and many were totally illegal...taxes, WP, TM30....fire codes, building codes..But if you look at people that got scammed on real estate..OK, can you really count those who lost due to wife or gf?  Or people who bought land that was actually park land?  Or people, who couldnt get their 30 year leases renewed?  Or people that were biting on the guaranteed returns?  or dealing with dodgy fellow expats?  A few got burned buying off plan, but really not many...and that will happen anytime their is an economic crises...quite a few skeletons in Florida..deposits gone...years of delays...just dont buy off plan.   You will have a very hard time finding a case, where a foreigner bought a used condo, paid at the land office, took it in his name, and got burned...go ahead, show me one such case.

17 hours ago, tacoofthehillpeople said:

I have been to Europe. Have family there now. I like Asia better. Spain? Record high unemployment. Importing 3rd world refugees. And literally a bankrupt country. Have you seen the news? Paris looks like a third world in places. Not safe for Frenchmen in certain places in their own country. Northern Europe has an ongoing rape crisis. Add in the fact Europe costs many times what SEA does. Over priced and unsafe? I am originally from Chicago, IL. I could just move back home to experience that.

I have indexed funds already. Those in part are why I can look at moving to SEA by age 40. I have mentioned I am looking into whether that would be a qualified investment in Thailand. To satisfy the investment requirement for owning property.

And I have zero intention of just sitting at home sucking in smoke. There are places all over SEA I wish to visit. As well as other countries across Asia. Once situated I would plan accordingly. Thailand is flooding? Go check out India. There this smoke haze. Sounds like a reason to go see Kowloon. And as it takes about 35 hours to get from here to Amanpulo one way. Being based in SEA makes sense. Amanpulo is a couple hours away by puddle jumper from Thailand.

As for Warren Buffett,  I cannot afford a private jet. He can easily do so. And go to Omaha. Warren OWNS his home. He recommends home ownership as a way to increase wealth. If renting was logically the best choice. Why does one of the richest people on the planet own?

Thanks for the input. I will continue to sound out my current plan.

The point I was making is renting gives you flexibility. I owned a home in Melbourne, Australia. It became a millstone around my neck - every time I went back, I had to spend 2 - 3 weeks on maintenance.

Today, I was talking to a German guy who owns a very nice house near Chiang Rai. He's selling it way under market value, because a construction company decided to build a cement plant right next door to him. No legal recourse whatsoever. That kind of thing can happen all over Thailand. Like a friend of mine, who built way out in the rice fields near Chiang Mai and had two peaceful years - until a Thai built a warehouse next to him.

The smoke season has no borders. The whole of SEA is covered in smoke during that period. India? They cook their meals with wood and cow dung, over 1 billion of them. A shithole that makes Gary, Indiana look like paradise. North and coastal Vietnam, possibly.

Warren Buffet owns his home because he doesn't move around much. He doesn't need flexibility. AFAIK he still drives an old car. Yes, you build wealth with property - I did. However, in my 70's I regard it as a burden, not an asset.

There are quite a few rich people of all nationalities who don't own any property. They live on cruise ships or shuttle between Hiltons or Sheratons in various capital cities. I'm just saying it's possible to do that on a more modest scale.

I would really recommend coming here and renting for a year or two, until you fully understand what goes on. Google and the Thai Visa forums are not the same as being at the coal face.

Good luck with your move.

3 hours ago, tacoofthehillpeople said:

Well a query for you than. If Thailand sucks so bad. Why are you here? Literally a gazillion places on the net you could be. That per you are safer, better, etcetra. Over 200 countries on this planet not named Thailand. See my point?

Does this have anything to do with your desire to own property here, or the type of visa you can get? Apparently not.

But if you want to turn this topic into a "best place for retirement" discussion, my contribution on the "pro" side would be that by living in Thailand I can avoid income tax, I can live in a fairly inexpensive condo with a good sea view for little yearly cost, and I can easily get a yearly retirement visa extension for very little cost. I would also add the generally low cost of things like insurance, fuel, and domestic services. And not forgetting the infrastructure (roads, electricity, internet) which works quite well at reasonable cost.

The "con" side would include the very sticky climate which I really dont like, the omnipresent noise, the very high cost of imported items, the potentially high cost of medical treatment, the high cost of most manufactured items, the generally poor choice in all shops, the difficulty of communicating with Thais, the heavy and dangerous traffic and the widespread corruption and dishonesty (which is not by any means restricted only to Thais here). If I were a significant consumer of either I would probably also list the high price of alcohol and the poor quality of hookers, but I'm not so it doesn't matter.

So as I mentioned a few pages ago: I look at the bottom line and for me at the moment the bottom line makes Thailand a suitable place to live whilst I travel around. But give it a few more years and I do expect to be somewhere nicer.

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

So as I mentioned a few pages ago: I look at the bottom line and for me at the moment the bottom line makes Thailand a suitable place to live whilst I travel around. But give it a few more years and I do expect to be somewhere nicer.

Where is that somewhere nicer that won't break the bank?