Many Phuket yacht victims died despite wearing life-jackets

rooster59

17 hours ago, happy chappie said:

I've been on 3 boats out here.penang,Surat Thani,phuket to krabi.each time I've stood up top spotted the life jackets and never ventured down below but maybe for the toilet.even in a taxi I sit in the front so I can see what's ahead and can grab the wheel if something goes on.i remember saying years ago to some mates.if there's one thing I do trust it's Asian pilots,they really know how to fly when it comes to a storm and turbulence.within a week or two a one to go plane crash in Phuket due to weather...I still trust them though because I don't do bus or train and have to.

You don't have any options but to trust the pilots. You obviously don't trust taxis etc., because you think you know more.

2 hours ago, tigermoth said:

You don't have any options but to trust the pilots. You obviously don't trust taxis etc., because you think you know more.

Because I think I know more??? I said I do trust pilots if you read my post.they have a great record in my eyes.boats,taxis.well we all know what their records are like.

A boat, full or empty, needs to be capable of handling the sea conditions in the area, at all times! The captain needs to have the seamanship to judge and handle the boat in all conditions! 

For Thailand we know this will never be the case. 

• Like 1

Wearing a life vest / floatation device won't help much against exhaustion from heavy waves constantly crashing into the face.

Exhaustion, shock, dehydration from sea water intake...

Extremely tragic.  I am still very saddened by this event.  RIP

Edited by YTP
sea water intake

On 7/7/2018 at 3:07 PM, robblok said:

Problem is when your wearing a life jacket inside the boat.. if the boat sinks fast and water gets in you will be pushed upwards and might not be able exit the boat. 

True. And there's not a lot of time for anyone to get out once the boat goes down. It implies it must have sunk quite quickly as well.

I vaguely experienced something like this when white-water-rafting: I got stuck under the raft after it capsized and had to feel my way to the edge off the raft after it had cleared the rapids. It was pretty scary and not an experience I wish to repeat. Imagine 20 people doing the same, getting in each others way whilst trying to find a small exit? 

Even if proper Lifejackets are supplied (as on aircraft ) which I doubt due to the expense and required maintenance , if no instruction is given or even diagrams/posters showing how to don a Lifejacket ( and passengers requested to read prior setting off ) then there will just be panic in an emergency .     Also if crotch straps are not fitted and used even Lifejackets can "ride up " and come off .  Lifejackets can also be fitted with "spray hoods " so the wearer can float facing downwind and the hoods help protect the head from spray .   So much that the innocent public are not aware of one they set foot on a boat !!!  

• Like 1