Exit Thailand by Boat? Just curious

Hello, 

This is just an idea I am curious about, not something I am trying to do.  I looked for info but couldn't find any.  Sorry if this has been discussed.  

I am new to the idea of doing visa runs. I understand you simply need to be stamped out and back into Thailand.

I was thinking about tourists who leave Thailand via ship in places like Laem Chabang Port.  I assume they must get stamped out of the Kingdom when boarding and thus there must be an immigration office there, I have dropped friends and relatives off who are going on cruise ships and don't plan to return to Thailand.

Has anyone ever considered if a boat could pick up a group of visa runners, sail out to international waters then come back?  Or even if you could stamp in and out there without actually getting on a boat?

International waters, from what I understand are 12 nautical miles from the coast, so seems the boat wouldn't have to go too far.  

My only thought is that maybe you are required to enter a different country?  

Thanks for your feedback

12 minutes ago, action said:

My only thought is that maybe you are required to enter a different country?   

You are required.

Your idea does not work.

At least by theory.

And even practically, wouldn't they wonder why this "cruise ship" comes back in the afternoon.

"by boat" in general is not unknown.

There is at least one checkpoint in the south where you go on a small boat and do a short ride to a small Malaysian island(?).

But all with full stamp out/in/out/in.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Thanks kindly for the quick reply.  I knew my "idea doesn't work"  tried my best to make that clear.  Just wasn't sure why.  Maybe if Thailand would sell Koh Larn to another nation we'd be in luck!  ?  

Edited by action
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

And even practically, wouldn't they wonder why this "cruise ship" comes back in the afternoon.

If the idea worked (legally) there would be no reason for them to wonder anything.  Such as the place in the south you mention.