White waterhose for waterfilters

Thian

When nobody was home for some days our waterhose suddenly broke so the kitchen flooded. 

The white thin waterhose going to the waterfilter was broken, that hose is 5 years old and from Homepro or Homeworks.

I already thought that the hose looked crap because it's all plastic with plastic connectors but amazingly it never leaked in 5 years.

Is there a brand for this hose? A qualitybrand i mean...How can they sell such louse quality waterhose, it even never got to see sunshine and just collapsed suddenly.

So i'm searching for a high quality hose that lasts 20 year or more, and you guys better check your hoses as well every year or so.

Good luck finding a brand name that will last longer than any other.  I bought a bunch of hoses and fittings and pumps for a low pressure (150 PSI) misting system from Lazada.

Depending on what size you need...  Most of what I bought was black, but that's for irrigation, not for drinking water.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ro-pe-14-2-5-i101741079-s101936899.html

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/pe-38-3-5-i130188311-s348275801.html

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/20-20-4-mist-micro-sprinkler-set-20m-20head-4mm-hose-i168890220-s209397950.html

56 minutes ago, Thian said:

When nobody was home for some days our waterhose suddenly broke so the kitchen flooded. 

The RO unit (cheap) I use has a tap control to turn off when not in use to avoid that possibility, although have not used that option as area has drains so would not be major issue.  Maybe will. or then again maybe not.

6 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

The RO unit (cheap) I use has a tap control to turn off when not in use to avoid that possibility, although have not used that option as area has drains so would not be major issue.  Maybe will. or then again maybe not.

Such incidents seem to happen when nobody's home...law of Murphy i guess.

But closing that tap all the time is no option for us, also the icemaker needs that water nonstop. The washing and dishwashingmachine also are constantly connected to the watertap.

We need a quality hose from Japan or so.

Actually expect they are all of the same quality - Japan imports most such things from China these days.  Are you sure a rat did not take a bite out of it?  Or came out of connector?  It is really quite thick plastic so do not see a quality issue in the units I have.   I suspect any alternative would not fit connectors.

I realize that I'm a bit of a control freak, but... when leaving home for more than 24 hours I always turn water off at the mains. Also power at switch box, except for the fridge.

But hey.... that's just me.

On 7/9/2018 at 3:41 AM, malt25 said:

I realize that I'm a bit of a control freak, but... when leaving home for more than 24 hours I always turn water off at the mains. Also power at switch box, except for the fridge.

But hey.... that's just me.

Yes that's a smart thing to do but i don't like it. Our fridge needs constant water for the icemaker anyway.

I also wonder how long those blue waterpipes can stand sunshine before they collapse...has anybody experience with those? We have a waterpump so they are always under pressure.

34 minutes ago, Thian said:

Yes that's a smart thing to do but i don't like it. Our fridge needs constant water for the icemaker anyway.

I also wonder how long those blue waterpipes can stand sunshine before they collapse...has anybody experience with those? We have a waterpump so they are always under pressure.

It rather depends on if you got the cheaper one or the 13.5 psi version, the lowest pressure version (there are 3) will go brittle in about 5 years DAMHIKT.

28 minutes ago, Thian said:

Issue 2 first. I've had the blue PVC pipes exposed to all the elements at the pump, filter & storage tank now for over 5 years. No sign of any deterioration.

Re the fridge ice maker. Your comment has me wondering. I'm not familiar with ice makers.... but. Surely there must be some control device, cut out switch. If you are away & not using the ice, I can't imagine the fridge will keep producing ice once the ice receptacle is full. If it were me I'd be checking with Mr Google as to the operation of your particular model fridge to ascertain the operation function of the ice maker. If NO control & the ice maker continued on its merry way making ice.... imagine what would happen when you eventually opened the fridge door.

With modern devices these days there's always safety controls. My Samsung washing machine for example. I usually  turn off the power & water after use. Yeah, I know, control freak. I sometimes turn on the power & set the program but overlook turning water supply on. No problem. The machine won't operate. As soon as I turn water on, machine starts immediately.

I'll be interested in knowing how you get on with the ice maker.

Cheers.....     Mal.

11 minutes ago, malt25 said:

Issue 2 first. I've had the blue PVC pipes exposed to all the elements at the pump, filter & storage tank now for over 5 years. No sign of any deterioration.

Re the fridge ice maker. Your comment has me wondering. I'm not familiar with ice makers.... but. Surely there must be some control device, cut out switch. If you are away & not using the ice, I can't imagine the fridge will keep producing ice once the ice receptacle is full. If it were me I'd be checking with Mr Google as to the operation of your particular model fridge to ascertain the operation function of the ice maker. If NO control & the ice maker continued on its merry way making ice.... imagine what would happen when you eventually opened the fridge door.

With modern devices these days there's always safety controls. My Samsung washing machine for example. I usually  turn off the power & water after use. Yeah, I know, control freak. I sometimes turn on the power & set the program but overlook turning water supply on. No problem. The machine won't operate. As soon as I turn water on, machine starts immediately.

I'll be interested in knowing how you get on with the ice maker.

Cheers.....     Mal.

An icemaking fridge just drinks out of the tap, when the bucket is full it stops making ice. That doesn't change if you place a waterfilter in the waterline.

26 minutes ago, Thian said:

An icemaking fridge just drinks out of the tap, when the bucket is full it stops making ice. That doesn't change if you place a waterfilter in the waterline.

Now you have me puzzled. My original comment was about turning off water supply if leaving the house for 24 hours or so. Then you replied that you didn't like that idea coz your fridge needs water supply for the ice maker. I queried about water supply to fridge for ice maker, continuing along the line of  ice maker continuing to operate, assuming you will be absent as was my original reason for turning off the water supply. Then you comment that you are aware the ice maker will stop producing once bucket is full. So what don't you like about my original idea of turning off water supply when vacating the house for extended period ?

What am I missing ???

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It rather depends on if you got the cheaper one or the 13.5 psi version, the lowest pressure version (there are 3) will go brittle in about 5 years DAMHIKT.

dead easy to tell; the grade 5 cheapo best Thai builders version will have gone from blue to white in 12 months through solar breakdown. Often looks a mess because all the fittings, bends etc are grade 13.5 and still in the shop bought blue.

Its not often a problem as mains pipework is usually inside the house but if your man arrives with the new soil pipe in grade 5, you can stand on it and sever it; its no chance with a bit of ground heave!

34 minutes ago, malt25 said:

Now you have me puzzled. My original comment was about turning off water supply if leaving the house for 24 hours or so. Then you replied that you didn't like that idea coz your fridge needs water supply for the ice maker. I queried about water supply to fridge for ice maker, continuing along the line of  ice maker continuing to operate, assuming you will be absent as was my original reason for turning off the water supply. Then you comment that you are aware the ice maker will stop producing once bucket is full. So what don't you like about my original idea of turning off water supply when vacating the house for extended period ?

What am I missing ???

That an icemachine only stops working when the bucket is full....and if you turn off the water the icemaker will wait for it and might get jammed if there's no water available. In that case we have to defrost it.