BBC iPLAYER

andywadsworth

I am registered with BBCiPLAYER with no problem, however I have tried several VPN providers giving me a UK VPN location which have worked in the past, but now not at all. I suspect the BBC now know if one is using a subscription VPN. Does anyone know of a VPN provider that actually works for the BBC iPlayer here in Thailand.

Ivacy is working for me using both the PC app and the Chrome plug-in, sometimes needs a disconect/reconnect to get an IP that the Beeb doesn't recognise.

US$2 per month.

I use Epic browser (free) which has a built in vpn but fairly regularly it stops for a while after it's IP address has been discovered then you have to wait till they change their IP address. I use tvplayer.com through epic as well but tvcatchup.com still works without a vpn.

On 7/10/2018 at 12:51 PM, andywadsworth said:

Does anyone know of a VPN provider that actually works for the BBC iPlayer here in Thailand.

I don't use BBC iPlayer much these days, but when needs must I find SmartDNS works still, even today. Just sign up for a free Smart DNS trial with a new email address and should work for a couple of weeks.

3 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

I don't use BBC iPlayer much these days, but when needs must I find SmartDNS works still, even today. Just sign up for a free Smart DNS trial with a new email address and should work for a couple of weeks.

Yes, as I said earlier in the thread, SmartDNS works fine for me, the single biggest issue can be setting it up though, very difficult if True are the ISP due to their transparent proxy and can require constant refreshing of your activated IP with SmartDNS, otherwise it is good, cheap solution.

1 minute ago, Mattd said:

Yes, as I said earlier in the thread, SmartDNS works fine for me, the single biggest issue can be setting it up though, very difficult if True are the ISP due to their transparent proxy and can require constant refreshing of your activated IP with SmartDNS, otherwise it is good, cheap solution.

I use it and it works well...…………..BUT I have to sign on to my account to reset it (my IP address seems to change) every so often.

Easy to do and a good system IMO.

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I use it and it works well...…………..BUT I have to sign on to my account to reset it (my IP address seems to change) every so often.

Easy to do and a good system IMO.

Yes, if you are using any other ISP apart from True, then it is easy to setup, the pain is having to reactivate the IP, most ISP's do not have fixed IP, so it will change, my 3BB can change 20 times in 8 hours!

18 hours ago, Mattd said:

very difficult if True are the ISP due to their transparent proxy and can require constant refreshing of your activated IP

On the plus side, if with True you can keep getting the free 2 week SmartDNS trials with a new different email address?!

5 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

On the plus side, if with True you can keep getting the free 2 week SmartDNS trials with a new different email address?!

No, SmartDNS will not work at all under normal circumstances due to their transparent proxy setup, all DNS goes via their proxy server, you can get around it, but it involves quite a lot of work and cost.

12 minutes ago, Mattd said:

No, SmartDNS will not work at all under normal circumstances due to their transparent proxy setup, all DNS goes via their proxy server, you can get around it, but it involves quite a lot of work and cost.

I have been a subscriber with Smart DNS Proxy for well over 1 year and it works for me. I stream Netflix US, US TV, BBC IPlayer, 7-Plus from AUS and other geographically restricted web content. I am by no means a computer expert but it only took me about 10 minutes to set-up my laptop. I stream all my content using Google Chrome and have a link to DNS on my browser to access my account.  I don't consider a 10-minute set-up and less than 35 baht a month, a lot of work or cost.  As far as reactivating the ISP address from my experience it is seldom more than once a day and after a power outage.

15 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

I have been a subscriber with Smart DNS Proxy for well over 1 year and it works for me. I stream Netflix US, US TV, BBC IPlayer, 7-Plus from AUS and other geographically restricted web content. I am by no means a computer expert but it only took me about 10 minutes to set-up my laptop. I stream all my content using Google Chrome and have a link to DNS on my browser to access my account.  I don't consider a 10-minute set-up and less than 35 baht a month, a lot of work or cost.  As far as reactivating the ISP address from my experience it is seldom more than once a day and after a power outage.

Yes, it does work well, just not with True as the ISP, especially if using a DOCSIS modem (I believe older True connections are OK), it can't as True force you to use their DNS server and the only way around this is to set up a separate router running DD-WRT and then setting this up such that it bypasses their transparent proxy.

I know because I had to go through all this in my BKK condo, at my house I use 3BB and it is fine, just a case of setting up the DNS server addresses in to the IPv4 settings of your WiFi connection.

The number of reactivation's for the WAN IP address will depend on the ISP as well, the IP address with 3BB can change often, no knowing when, not an issue, just irritating.

Not the same provider, but SmartDNS is affected as well:

https://support.unlocator.com/article/60-list-of-internet-providers-that-do-not-work-with-unlocator-smart-dns

Another thread: 

NordVPN is working fine , I signed up for  a 3 year subscription .   

But you need to switch to a different UK server almost daily , because BBC will try to block them after a while.  

Fortunately , NordVPN is aware of this and will replace their UK servers almost weekly .  

55 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I'm on True DOCSIS modem, signed up for a trial SmartDNS, the SmartDNS says my DNS is active with them and BBC iPlayer works OK.

Then you are very lucky, mine totally refused to work no matter what I did, True are renown for this issue.

22 minutes ago, balo said:

NordVPN is working fine , I signed up for  a 3 year subscription .   

But you need to switch to a different UK server almost daily , because BBC will try to block them after a while.  

Fortunately , NordVPN is aware of this and will replace their UK servers almost weekly .  

Yes, this is the problem lately with a VPN, once BBC or whoever gets to know it is a VPN server, they put it on their blacklist, constant battle.

1 hour ago, Mattd said:

Yes, this is the problem lately with a VPN, once BBC or whoever gets to know it is a VPN server, they put it on their blacklist, constant battle.

True , but one thing that seems to work all the time are the downloads . 

Often when connected to a UK server that for some reason are "black listed " you will get this message trying to play a program "This content doesn't seem to be working"     But when you try to download the same program it works.

So that's why I stick with NordVPN. 

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, markaoffy said:

Smartdns doesn’t have UK proxy option

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You don't need one, you use the nearest to where you are located and then use the setup in your account to tell them where you want to watch the content.

Archived