Angiogram

cysampan

After suspected angina, I have been advised to have a radial approach angiogram. The symptoms typically have gone away! I am otherwise thin and fit in my sixties, (BP a bit high). Is this a sensible option, will it save my life?

Or am I putting myself at unnecessary risk with this procedure , that may include stent placement?  Did anyone else who had this procedure done, feel worried? I presently have no health issues and have been going to the gym and walking uphill, fast, on the treadmill for a couple of miles, and not had a twinge, for a month. I really don't want my heart mucked around with!!

After suspected angina, I have been advised to have a radial approach angiogram. The symptoms typically have gone away! I am otherwise thin and fit in my sixties, (BP a bit high). Is this a sensible option, will it save my life?
Or am I putting myself at unnecessary risk with this procedure , that may include stent placement?  Did anyone else who had this procedure done, feel worried? I presently have no health issues and have been going to the gym and walking uphill, fast, on the treadmill for a couple of miles, and not had a twinge, for a month. I really don't want my heart mucked around with!!
I was offered this and refused when the doctor said "It's very risky, if any part of the heart is touched it will cause a stroke" no thank You!!!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

This, wrist entry, has been the normal procedure here in Thailand for years and is considered safer and less of a bother to patient for those it can be used on.  But suspect they should have you take other tests first to confirm blockage issues are likely.  Perhaps a second opinion would be in order  Both stress test and CT scans I believe are often used.  The procedure itself is quite safe these days.  Have had twice myself - first both balloon and stents and second only dye which indicated blockage was not nearly as bad as stress test indicated and did not justify work as had no angina.  You are fully conscious and only an overnight stay required (to monitor and reduce pressure/remove wrist strap).

More tests first would be usual especially since you don't seem to have other clinical signs. Stress Test for one, possibly calcium scan too. I suggest you consult another cardiologist to conduct/interpret these tests and provide another opinion.

Where in Thailand do you live?

Sheryl is so right possibly start with CT with calcium score and no dye on first CT . You take one test at a time and really investigate using those result to guide you . At the same time radically change your eating to get that blood pressure down and transform your body so test results and later test results can show details and changes when you test again . Also add echocardiogram and exercise stress test if you have not already . I would even preform MRI of heart to cover everything you can to see if angiogram warranted . In the mean time may want to take one baby aspirin a day .