Sharing custody of my wives children

junglechef

Preliminary research by my wife shows that for me to adopt her children she needs to give up her parental rights.

The children have lived with us in Thailand for most of their lives and their biological father has moved on with his new family and we he expect would not object.

My wife has never lived outside the country and only holds a Thai citizenship.

Our third child we had together is both Thai, and as I am, American. I am his biological and legal father in both countries. 

Trying to think out of the box, is their another avenue for legal co-parenting as a family? 

To me the rules don't make sense so possibly we are getting hung up with the wrong legal term etc,  of course possibly not too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

the way the laws are stated, in practice, when you have completed the process for adoption, you now have parental rights. Normally, when the child is adopted by someone already, the kid cannot be adopted by anyone else.

However, the law does allow for your situation as well. Your wife can co-adopt her children through your right as the adopter. This would result in joint custody of the children and the closest to your desired outcome.

I hope this reply helps you, we consider it our duty to help many happy families.

Regards,

Troi Family Lawyers

12 minutes ago, TroiFamilyLaw said:

Hi Jonathan,

the way the laws are stated, in practice, when you have completed the process for adoption, you now have parental rights. Normally, when the child is adopted by someone already, the kid cannot be adopted by anyone else.

However, the law does allow for your situation as well. Your wife can co-adopt her children through your right as the adopter. This would result in joint custody of the children and the closest to your desired outcome.

I hope this reply helps you, we consider it our duty to help many happy families.

Regards,

Troi Family Lawyers

Thank you for reply, it gives us hope and a direction forward. 

As I heard that we could co-adopt an unrelated child I'm happy to hear it's also a possibility with my wife's children. 

Archived