Agoda - is this reasonable advertising?

Wuvu2

I recently booked a room at this hotel only to learn that the pool in the photo is actually the public pool once city block away. The pool is well loved and used by the local community which is great - but very crowded much of the time and difficult to swim laps much of the day. There is no mention in the Agoda hotel listing that informs that it is not the hotel's pool.  The advertising tactic worked on me because I like to swim for health daily, but this seems deceptive. 

When I brought it to Agoda's attention they defended the advertisement because the hotel provides a voucher to the public pool. I pushed a bit with Agoda saying that they should remove the pool photo from their promo - or at least require a caption that note's it isn't the hotel's property. Agoda refused and agreed to close my account instead.   I wasn't after a refund - just get straight on their advertising practices.

Is this reasonable advertising practice of Agoda to keep this advertising as is? 

image.png.bd9933c1db5dcf76a2b10f25e84e5b75.png

Yes but if Agoda wants to be recognised as a highly credible booking agency they should ensure errors / tricky wording / lack of warning (Such as this case) are removed from their site quickly.

I'm aware of another case (different agency) where the key opening words indicates clearly  that the hotel is at Suvarnabhumi airport, further checking of the small details shows that's it's a 20 minute taxi ride to the airport.

2 minutes ago, JWRC said:

Isn't it the hotel itself that places the advertising? not agoda.

Ya, But once Agoda knows it is deceptive isn't it their responsibility to protect AGODA customers?  Agoda bills my credit card so I'm Agoda's customer first. I think their duty is to protect their customer - not their advertisers.

I wasn't after a refund and told Agoda the same. The right answer would have been "Thank you for bringing this to our attention we will follow up and make sure the advertising is more clear". 

Agoda pointed out the "no refund" policy of the hotel even though I didn't request a refund. There must be some fair advertising limits somewhere. Can I post a photo of the Hyatt pool and claim it as part of my crappy guest house? What if I post photos of a Marriot room in the room description of my crappy guest house? I'd probably get a lot of takers but it would not be fair

Isn't it the hotel itself that places the advertising? not agoda.

I would say that both Agoda and the hotel are to blame.  I ran 4 small hotels in Phuket, all listed on Agoda.  But the hotel doesn't have 'free rein' to describe their hotel and facilities on the Agoda website.  The hotel listing configuration is simply a number of check boxes, which don't allow for adding terms such as 'free access to nearby public pool'.

However, those types of comments CAN be added in the additional information section of the listing, but the hotel has to specifically request this to Agoda.

So, in a very similar example, one of my small hotels did not have a swimming pool, but my guests could freely use the small pool at my mad ex's hotel, just 100 metres away.  In order not to mislead my guests, I specifically asked Agoda to add this comment in the additional notes section, (er.. the note about the pool, not about the mad ex!!)

So Agoda is partly to blame for not making their listing configuration more flexible, and the hotel is also to blame for trying to avoid mention in the additional notes section that it is a public pool.

The Agoda add even adds this lovely view of the lap pool with the overlay title "Things You'll Love", and a caption "Swimming Pool" but yet Agoda doesn't seem to notice this is deceiving.  I've been with Agoda something like 15 years and must have spent thousands on business travel with them. It's easy enough to take my business to Expedia or another booking competitor. 

image.png.5839c81524b0d3d7b1f564c1030dcef5.png

2 minutes ago, Wuvu2 said:

The Agoda add even adds this lovely view of the lap pool with the overlay title "Things You'll Love", and a caption "Swimming Pool" but yet Agoda doesn't seem to notice this is deceiving.  I've been with Agoda something like 15 years and must have spent thousands on business travel with them. It's easy enough to take my business to Expedia or another booking competitor. 

image.png.5839c81524b0d3d7b1f564c1030dcef5.png

It's easy enough taking your business "elsewhere", but not much of a difference between most of them. As far as I'm aware ownership of most booking venues is divided between a couple of firms. The "competition" being a bit of a sham.

very few hotels with pools in vientiane, especially in city center.

in addition, Agoda does not provide the Hotel information, the hotel does.

also the top three or 4 reviews clearly point out there is no pool other than the hotel pool

OP, I would have to agree with you based on what you've said.  The response from Agoda, closing your account, is really bad form, moreover that you weren't trying to angle for a refund.  Sure they didn't want you posting a review either.

If you've got some free time, there's always the social media route.   Although I just took a quick look at their Facebook page, overflowing with comments, none of them good, and didn't see any responses from Agoda FB reps = shouting in the dark to yourself. 

I note that Booking.com also does not list the hotel as having a pool.

It may be a recent addition but the Agoda site does now say this:

"Please note that the hotel will provide complimentary coupon for swimming, which located 200 meters far from hotel, once the guest book and stay at hotel."

Many reviews on the Agoda site mention either the lack of a pool or that the pool is public and distant. So the information is not exactly hidden.

Clearly a cheat/misleading by Agoda.

They show it with filter "Pool" on.

Booking.com does not. No word of a pool.

Not listed as hotel with pool.

I avoid Agoda anyway as their "initial" price is also misleading (tax and fees etc. not included). An unfair trick to walk up the lists.

On 7/18/2018 at 4:40 PM, HooHaa said:

also the top three or 4 reviews clearly point out there is no pool other than the hotel pool

Just another proof how Agoda ignores customer comments/complaints as written above.

Archived