Pattaya cabbies demand higher minimum charge

snoop1130

Pattaya cabbies demand higher minimum charge

By Theerawat Thongma, 
Dethawee Theewarangkool 
The Nation

65c37db041351a147d58587373c77c07.jpeg

Major General Popanan Luengpanuwat, head of the National Council for Peace and Order in Chon Buri, called a meeting on Thursday in a bid to tackle the issue of Pattaya taxi drivers allegedly taking advantage of tourists.

There had been complaints, including from foreigners, about drivers refusing to use the taxi meter and charging large amounts for short distances, he told the meeting at Pattaya City Hall.

Representatives of three Pattaya taxi companies, with a total of 500 cabs, explained that the starting price - Bt40 for the first 2km - was not enough for cabbies to cope with high living costs. 

Saying that such action was not right nor legal, Popanan said he would call another meeting on July 26 at the Bang Lamung district office for all taxi operators for their cooperation to adhere to the law. 

Popanan also assigned the Chon Buri Land Transport Office to ask for permission to hike the minimum fare to Bt100 for the first 2km, like on Koh Samui.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30350414

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-7-19
  • Haha 1

So who cares about these jerks, blocking parking space in front of malls, lying around smoking  cigarettes all day. This place got along fine for a long time without them. You can charter a baht bus anywhere for  100, 200 B. Just let them charge these hapless Asian tourists whatever they can get. I could care less. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Not unaware. Avoiding talking about it will avoid loss of face by not admitting it.

Of course they are aware ,but to admit it would loss of face. But to be responsible and ignore it means by default they are not doing thier job =loss of  face . The circle goes on until you form a committee . TI T?????

• Like 2

12 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

But would the charlatans adhere to the new pricing, even if it were agreed?

In a past life I drove a Taxi for 28 years on and off. Many of us drivers complained about price hikes whenever they were imposed.  Reason is simple, the higher the prices went, the less people used Taxis. In fact a lot of us wished to be allowed to charge the same as the public services (busses) and be allowed to "pick up" at bus stops, but because that was not in the government's best interest (competition wise) it was never allowed. We would have made more money being constantly busy because of small fares than waiting for an hour or more at Taxi ranks after evey run.

• Like 2

from  my experience flag a taxi down say where u go.give u a price or you say meter they drive off.how many times has that happened to people or farangs in bkk and pattaya.i don,t know about thais and they experience in a cab.i think they get more in fares than they are letting them know.

• Like 2

i have heard about the islands and the prices they charge tourist.they meet before the high season and make a pact.no movement and you are stuck at a airport and forced to pay the price,they laugh behind your back and you can little about it

• Like 1