Thaksin Rumoured To Have Rented Satellite

george

Thaksin was ousted by a military coup in September but remains worrisome for the people in power in Bangkok as he continue with his relentless attacks against the government from various cities around the world.

Thaksin is reportedly in the process of setting up a China-based satellite television network to sustain his assault against the government.

"Relentless attacks"? How many relentless attacks has he made?...really, how many?...and "attacks"....let's reproduce some of the text here and let everyone judge if his comments can reasonably be considered "attacks"...or if they are just personal views and commentary. The military dictatorship of Thailand might not allow free speech here but it is surprising that they expect every gov't everywhere to deny free speech which I would like to remind the posters here (since it seems that many of them have forgotten) is a basic human right!!!

Of course I don't expect that many here will actually welcome the presentation here of the text of Toxin's "relentless attacks" because then their posture would be seen as knee jerk and mindless.

Chownah

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can’t believe Thaksin’s gall. I can easily visualize him just slamming away with a sledge hammer just hitting harder and harder to get his way. He is ramping up there is no doubt at all. I just wonder how far he will go.

He has what is known as 'small man complex' ...like Alexander the Great, Hitler, Napoleon Bonaparte.

I think he'd like to be some kind of Emperor.

He was regarded some years back as heir presumptive to the 'leadership' of ASEAN.

I totally agree with you Barney. The fall from power has hurt him the most. I am not sure if ‘small man complex’ is the proper term here, that is more like a puffer fish. This is more like a bubble that has been popped.

I think that there is enough going on to establish a future time line here. The day Thaksin sees as court day for him is the day in his mind he must be in control again.

Emperor Thaksin, oh no doubt at all. The question in his mind is that above or below a monarchy. Or why even stop there, he can rule the world.

Edited by John K

Thaksin was ousted by a military coup in September but remains worrisome for the people in power in Bangkok as he continue with his relentless attacks against the government from various cities around the world.

Thaksin is reportedly in the process of setting up a China-based satellite television network to sustain his assault against the government.

"Relentless attacks"? How many relentless attacks has he made?...really, how many?...and "attacks"....let's reproduce some of the text here and let everyone judge if his comments can reasonably be considered "attacks"...or if they are just personal views and commentary. The military dictatorship of Thailand might not allow free speech here but it is surprising that they expect every gov't everywhere to deny free speech which I would like to remind the posters here (since it seems that many of them have forgotten) is a basic human right!!!

Of course I don't expect that many here will actually welcome the presentation here of the text of Toxin's "relentless attacks" because then their posture would be seen as knee jerk and mindless.

Chownah

I think you will find surprisingly few countries in the world allow real free speech. Idealistically it may be considered a basic human right but in practice it is not a human right extended to many if any. However, it is good to see you consider the defence of free speech such an important issue. I am therefore sure then you will be first to point out the irony in comments by/on Thaksin and free speech, a potentially basic human right denied many under his rule, which was considered a period of unusually restricted free speech for Thailand's recent history. Of course that is not to say that restrictions now are good, but before we get off on yet another set of pro or anti-Thaksin diatribes we should step back and and realise that freedom of expression is not something that either the Junta allow now or Thaksin allowed before. By international measure Thailand had its freeest period under Chuan Two. It will probably be some time before we get back to anywhere near the level of freedom at this not so distant time.

Peace

"Relentless attacks"? How many relentless attacks has he made?...really, how many?...and "attacks"....let's reproduce some of the text here and let everyone judge if his comments can reasonably be considered "attacks"..

Chownah

I'm too lazy to fetch exact quotes for you.

He gave at least four interviews to international media in just a couple of weeks and shows no sign of stopping. Does it qualify as relentless?

He indeed attacked the current economic policies (deservedly so) but extending his criticism to sufficiency economy was a blow below the belt. Also reference to the monarchy's support for the coup can lead to all sorts of speculations over what he really meant, by Thai rules it's also not permissible.

I think you will find surprisingly few countries in the world allow real free speech. Idealistically it may be considered a basic human right but in practice it is not a human right extended to many if any. However, it is good to see you consider the defence of free speech such an important issue. I am therefore sure then you will be first to point out the irony in comments by/on Thaksin and free speech, a potentially basic human right denied many under his rule, which was considered a period of unusually restricted free speech for Thailand's recent history. Of course that is not to say that restrictions now are good, but before we get off on yet another set of pro or anti-Thaksin diatribes we should step back and and realise that freedom of expression is not something that either the Junta allow now or Thaksin allowed before. By international measure Thailand had its freeest period under Chuan Two. It will probably be some time before we get back to anywhere near the level of freedom at this not so distant time.

Peace

To truly support freedom of expression then one must do so especially for the forms of expression which one finds most distateful and one must support freedom of expression especially for those who are undeserving of it.

Also, I would like to make a distinction between human rights and civil rights. You commented, "Idealistically it may be considered a basic human right but in practice it is not a human right extended to many if any." My comment is that human rights are rights that every human has intrinsically by the fact that they exist....these rights can not be "exteded" or not "extended" to people. People have this right intrinsically....in the US declaration of independence they wrote that people are "endowed by the creator" with these rights and that no gov't can take these rights away. It might be that a gov't interferes with your human rights but they can not take these rights away. Civil rights are rights that a government extends to its subjects...and can therefore take away.

At least this is my understanding of human rights......and civil rights.

Chownah

"Relentless attacks"? How many relentless attacks has he made?...really, how many?...and "attacks"....let's reproduce some of the text here and let everyone judge if his comments can reasonably be considered "attacks"..

Chownah

He gave at least four interviews to international media in just a couple of weeks and shows no sign of stopping. Does it qualify as relentless?

He indeed attacked the current economic policies (deservedly so) but extending his criticism to sufficiency economy was a blow below the belt. Also reference to the monarchy's support for the coup can lead to all sorts of speculations over what he really meant, by Thai rules it's also not permissible.

Reality check please.Here is a PM who has been illegally removed by a military junta.It's a newsworthy event and international media rightly wish to speak to Thaksin.If say Mrs Aquino was ousted by the military and exiled, it would be the same story.As far as Thaksin's interviews are concerned I have yet to see one objectionable passage, and in fact he has been very careful not to offend.If there is any criticism of the suficiency economy I haven't seen it.He is too much of a politician to criticise this, even though it is ludicrous by any rational standard.As far as the endorsement of the coup is concerned, it was mentioned in passing and simply reflects the facts.You talk about "Thai rules" but the genie is now out of the bottle and "Thai rules" are now being questioned throughout the country if you have the capacity to listen.Notwithstanding the views of a few farang on this forum, the reality is that the old guard committed an act of monumental stupidity and will pay the price.The irony is that the catalyst was such a flawed creature as Thaksin.

Look ahead ten years, and imagine in the judgement of posterity who will be considered to have come out better of all this.

Reality check please.Here is a PM who has been illegally removed by a military junta.It's a newsworthy event and international media rightly wish to speak to Thaksin.If say Mrs Aquino was ousted by the military and exiled, it would be the same story.As far as Thaksin's interviews are concerned I have yet to see one objectionable passage, and in fact he has been very careful not to offend.If there is any criticism of the suficiency economy I haven't seen it.He is too much of a politician to criticise this, even though it is ludicrous by any rational standard.As far as the endorsement of the coup is concerned, it was mentioned in passing and simply reflects the facts.You talk about "Thai rules" but the genie is now out of the bottle and "Thai rules" are now being questioned throughout the country if you have the capacity to listen.Notwithstanding the views of a few farang on this forum, the reality is that the old guard committed an act of monumental stupidity and will pay the price.The irony is that the catalyst was such a flawed creature as Thaksin.

Look ahead ten years, and imagine in the judgement of posterity who will be considered to have come out better of all this.

hear hear. a template reply that i wish could be reproduced at every related thread and it would be end of discussion....but i fear someone else will have something else to add.

Peace

To truly support freedom of expression then one must do so especially for the forms of expression which one finds most distateful and one must support freedom of expression especially for those who are undeserving of it.

Also, I would like to make a distinction between human rights and civil rights. You commented, "Idealistically it may be considered a basic human right but in practice it is not a human right extended to many if any." My comment is that human rights are rights that every human has intrinsically by the fact that they exist....these rights can not be "exteded" or not "extended" to people. People have this right intrinsically....in the US declaration of independence they wrote that people are "endowed by the creator" with these rights and that no gov't can take these rights away. It might be that a gov't interferes with your human rights but they can not take these rights away. Civil rights are rights that a government extends to its subjects...and can therefore take away.

Chownah

Philosophically, it can be argued that there are no such things as human or natural rights as rights are defined or invented by humans and therefore are artificial. But we are getting off topic and should probably leave the subject for another discussion or thread.

My basic point made before remains and if one wants to swop human rights for civil rights I believe my point still stands re Thailand and freedom of expression whichever philosophical tenet one wishes to take.

Peace

Chownah

Philosophically, it can be argued that there are no such things as human or natural rights as rights are defined or invented by humans and therefore are artificial. But we are getting off topic and should probably leave the subject for another discussion or thread.

My basic point made before remains and if one wants to swop human rights for civil rights I believe my point still stands re Thailand and freedom of expression whichever philosophical tenet one wishes to take.

I think that this thread is about a gov't repressing the right of free expression of one of it citizens so I think this concept is on topic. I'm not sure which point you still have standing. Do I have any points standing?

Chownah

Edited by chownah

Reality check please.Here is a PM who has been illegally removed by a military junta.It's a newsworthy event and international media rightly wish to speak to Thaksin.

Come on, it's been four months. NO ONE remembers there was a coup in Thailand. Even when it was newsworthy, right after the coup, no one seeked Thaksin's opinions. Not in New York, not in London. Why now?

"Thai rules" are now being questioned throughout the country if you have the capacity to listen.

Apparently I don't have that capacity. What do you know that I don't? We live in the same country, read the same news, talk to same people. I don't see any significant shift in opinion regarding the coup. Do you? Where?

Chownah

'Young' husband, there is little point in trying to look ahead 10 years, anyone can say anything, let's concentrate on the past and present.

Thaksin committed several illegal acts himself, or do you regard his stuffing millions of his baht in his servants' accounts as an honest, and therefore legal mistake?

You call him too much of a politician to criticise the sufficiency economy, well why did the silly fool dissolve Parliament when he had a 75% majority? Not a bright move politically.

The old guard are reforming the police, rewriting a constitution so abused by Thaksin, elections are promised by the end of the year.Where is the 'act of monumental stupidity'?

Chownah

'Young' husband, there is little point in trying to look ahead 10 years, anyone can say anything, let's concentrate on the past and present.

Thaksin committed several illegal acts himself, or do you regard his stuffing millions of his baht in his servants' accounts as an honest, and therefore legal mistake?

You call him too much of a politician to criticise the sufficiency economy, well why did the silly fool dissolve Parliament when he had a 75% majority? Not a bright move politically.

The old guard are reforming the police, rewriting a constitution so abused by Thaksin, elections are promised by the end of the year.Where is the 'act of monumental stupidity'?

Forgive me but there is every point in looking into the future, and my assesment along with that of many others that in attempting to consolidate its position the Bangkok power elite has in fact planted the seeds of its own demise.For whatever his faults, and they were many, it is self evident that Thaksin was a consumate politician although he was ultimately out manoeuvred by the old guard.I suspect you have not read between the lines of my original post, but unfortunately under the rules of the forum I am unable to spell all the facts out.However the important point is that never again can the Thai people be written out of the political equation.

Please don't fall under the impression incidentally I think Thaksin is an admirable human being.He appals me in many ways but he has been a catalyst for a very profound change.