Bars Closed 27th and 28th July ?

GuyDow

Closed the Friday 27th for Asanha Bucha and Saturday 28th for Buddhist Lent. Although the 28th also happens to be the birthday of the recently crowned King Vajiralongkorn - Rama X, that is not the reason for the bar closures that day. 

34 minutes ago, nabbie said:

Coincidence with lunar eclipse?  

Asanha Pucha is always on a full moon not a fixed date.

Lunar eclipse is always on a full moon.

So not really.

Kings birthday is a fixed date, July 28.

And don't forget:

Monday July 30, all government offices and others closed (public holiday).

Substitute for Saturday 28, Kings birthday.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Asanha Pucha is always on a full moon not a fixed date.

Lunar eclipse is always on a full moon.

So not really.

Kings birthday is a fixed date, July 28.

And don't forget:

Monday July 30, all government offices and others closed (public holiday).

Substitute for Saturday 28, Kings birthday.

Do you know if Friday 27 July is also a public holiday?

4 hours ago, BobTH said:

Closed the Friday 27th for Asanha Bucha and Saturday 28th for Buddhist Lent. Although the 28th also happens to be the birthday of the recently crowned King Vajiralongkorn - Rama X, that is not the reason for the bar closures that day. 

So, a quiet weekend at home !

Thanks for the info.

4 hours ago, vincent13 said:

Do you know if Friday 27 July is also a public holiday?

Yes it is.

Important/major Buddhist holiday and so also public holiday.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1014493-thai-holidays-for-2018/

So yet another warning:

July 27 to July 30: 4 day long weekend.

Avoid unnecessary travel (overland).

Extremely busy traffic.

Bangkok might be quiet though, all in Pattaya :biggrin:

57 minutes ago, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

Is this every bar in the whole country? Arriving to BKK the day before and was planning on going out Friday. 

Can you stand the truth?

In general every place countrywide.

Very few exceptions which I am not sure about (international airports and maybe hotel bars?).

3 hours ago, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

Is this every bar in the whole country? Arriving to BKK the day before and was planning on going out Friday. 

It will be every bar in the country except those serving alcohol illegally, which will be many of them.

On 7/20/2018 at 10:48 PM, duanebigsby said:

It will be every bar in the country except those serving alcohol illegally, which will be many of them.

And every Mom and pop shop will be doing a roaring trade

1 hour ago, poohy said:

Not necessarily.  The last time, all the 'mom and pop' shops nearby were warned in advance and they were visited on the day.  

26 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Not necessarily.  The last time, all the 'mom and pop' shops nearby were warned in advance and they were visited on the day.  

Maybe in your neck of the woods. In Chiang Rai every shop other than 7 or Tesco will be selling booze.

5 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

Maybe in your neck of the woods. In Chiang Rai every shop other than 7 or Tesco will be selling booze.

I agree it's not uniform throughout the country.  I'd have said the same thing as you until recently.  Maybe it was a one-off.  We all know how 'crackdowns' work.  We'll see next weekend.

7 minutes ago, HHTel said:

I agree it's not uniform throughout the country.  I'd have said the same thing as you until recently.  Maybe it was a one-off.  We all know how 'crackdowns' work.  We'll see next weekend.

I'm not worrying about it. I'll be buying beer at the local shops and being served at the local bars Friday and Saturday.

On 7/20/2018 at 7:31 PM, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

My sympathies. This is not something the Tourism Authority of Thailand publicizes for obvious reasons.

You can probably get a massage if that is any consolation.

1 hour ago, johng said:

I missed the ceremony ????

Rhetorical question.

Of course not.

But as far as I know with his ascension of the throne (1 DEC 2016, "retroactive" since 13 OCT 2016) he is King of Thailand with full powers.

There is still no date for the crowning known.

15 hours ago, HHTel said:

It's a national ruling enforced by the Army. Its a two day religious observance. 

22 hours ago, poohy said:

Unless the Army arrests them as did in Pattaya. Here even the bars with the best police and army contacts are closing for those two days. Whatever you believe or what ever your opinion it is a very important cultural and religious to people in this country. The regime and related authorities are increasingly reinforcing a myriad of oppressive laws to subjugate the people.  Religion, order, health, food hygiene..Its all about oppression ultimately.

6 hours ago, elgenon said:

I am happy to see respect for the culture we are living in. TVers are the best!

It's a matter of choice which has been increasingly limited since 2009. We do not force tourists in Europe to observe 'Holy days of Obligation.'  Its mind control and subjugation. Next comes the oppression of Christians living here Thai or foreigner.

13 hours ago, The manic said:

It's a matter of choice which has been increasingly limited since 2009. We do not force tourists in Europe to observe 'Holy days of Obligation.'  Its mind control and subjugation. Next comes the oppression of Christians living here Thai or foreigner.

Yikes I didn't realize banning alcohol for 2 days would lead to the extermination( or formal oppression) of Christians. Sorry, my shortsightedness. I would suggest it would be safer for you to live in a good Christian country.

13 hours ago, The manic said:

Of course if you are a muslim and are forced to observe Christmas as a holiday (no work, holiday party at work,giving of gifts)...

Archived