Honda HRV or Toyota CHR?

jphasia

I am looking to buy a new car. I am not much about cars. Just need one. I have a Toyota Yaris which is now 6 years old. That's was perfect for us the car is used mostly by my wife. We live in Phuket and use it mostly around Phuket and occasionaly going on trip somewhere bit further. We are usually only 2 persons in the car. We would have just buy another Yaris but we don't like the new model (the one we have is the 1.5).

We tested last week both the HRV lastest model (RS) and the Toyota CHR (Hybrid).

We like both. We will go for the top model anyway what ever brand we choose.

Both are nice to drive. About the same price.

We would go for the CHR in priority as we had only Toyota before but the HRV look nice...

Any comment on both of these cars that would help us to take a decision?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I would recommend waiting as the HRV is due for an update.
The one I tested last Friday is the new arrived model, the HRV "RS". As per Honda, it is the latest model that they recieved few days ago. It has sun roof, slildly different external design and few more options.

• Like 1

The Mazda CX-3, which is more powerful, handles better, and has arguably the nicest European style interior has just had a minor upgrade would be my choice. However, I would buy the CHR if I wanted a Hybrid engine, or the HR-V if interior space was my priority.

• Like 2

My personal opinion is, that the HRV look better and have more space. Also the interior design with the seat which give more space I like more.

But what the HRV is missing is the assistant systems, which the CHR have much more and better for the same price. Also the Mazda CX-5 is similar with the assistant systems, which the Honda have a minus.

I decided at the moment for the C-HR because of the Hybrid, which can safe a lot of gasoline. I use at the moment in average 5 liter per 100km in Bangkok. Can go down to 4liter till up to 8liter per 100km, But the 5liter average is at the moment for the last 800km, which I think is good.

If you are not into car and you don't like driving sensations then go for the one you like the most in term of design and comfort.

I think the less enjoyable to drive is the honda, their cvt is the worst in he world, so you might go for this one.

In my case it's different,  I own a chr hybrid top and feel real great about it has i enjoy fun driving and top notch interior design and quality equipment. The most refined interior of all vehicules available now in LOS is the chr, otherwise you have to go for luxury taxed imported vehicules.

I have had my CHR for 2 months now.  I really like it.  It looks sportier than the HRV, which looks kind of boxy.  I have the 1.8 Mid with 7 speed CVT.  Great transmission IMO and also has the sequential shift so if I am in the mood I can run it through the gears,  I like hearing a motor revving up and the 1.8 liter has enough power.

In conclusion buy what you would like to be seen in and drive everyday with joy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spider1197 said:

I have had my CHR for 2 months now.  I really like it.  It looks sportier than the HRV, which looks kind of boxy.  I have the 1.8 Mid with 7 speed CVT.  Great transmission IMO and also has the sequential shift so if I am in the mood I can run it through the gears,  I like hearing a motor revving up and the 1.8 liter has enough power.

In conclusion buy what you would like to be seen in and drive everyday with joy. 

The old technology 1.8 engine in the Honda if now replaced in the RS by the new 1.5 turbo (as per Civic RS )would be a significant improvement. 

You seem to be saying you have the Toyota CHR but saying you like the 1.8 and cvt in it ....which is the drivetrain of the Honda...???

Thanks a lot all for your comments. Actually, what i was expecting to see was something like " don't buy this one..." but it sound based on your feedback that it is same as my feeling, both are good car and it is more about design and personal comfort, at least for what I am looking for.
I might also consider the Mazda CX3 which seems in the same range. The Honda HRV, the Toyota CHR and the Mazda CX3 are about the same price.

2 hours ago, nchuckle said:

The old technology 1.8 engine in the Honda if now replaced in the RS by the new 1.5 turbo (as per Civic RS )would be a significant improvement. 

You seem to be saying you have the Toyota CHR but saying you like the 1.8 and cvt in it ....which is the drivetrain of the Honda...???

HRV RS doesn't have the 1,5 turbo engine, strange enough. The 1,8 is selling so well anyway so i guess Honda won't bother to do any upgrade there.

6 hours ago, Katipo said:

The Mazda CX-3, which is more powerful, handles better, and has arguably the nicest European style interior has just had a minor upgrade would be my choice. However, I would buy the CHR if I wanted a Hybrid engine, or the HR-V if interior space was my priority.

Dude, cx-3 is like 35% smaller. You can't move anything around. The point of the HR-V  type car is having space.

No one cares about handling on bad thai roads. The only thing that end up mattering here is space and comfort. mazda/nissan interior is weak compared to honda/toyota

That's why there's rarely threads on it.. Great little fun car but not for Thailand and large families.  It's for nice roads in narcissistic countries.

Edited by bearpolar

Gosh have commented on a few threads - just love my CHR .

- was a toss up with the Honda -  but the Honda technology lags behind - all those gizmos and safety features - 7 airbags etc - I have a  blue CHR hybrid - it’s so smooth and quiet . Ecomony is brilliant - but who cares really . 

No it’s not quick - but good handling and progressively fast - I’m not sure why the press is obsssed with 0-60 in 5 secs . This is Thailand - smoothly and slower the better.

its a bit more fun than the Honda - interior is great -

As they say - up to you - grey haired Honda driver - or a bit more funky CHR - BLUE 

waiting lists are long now . 

8 hours ago, peterb17 said:

- was a toss up with the Honda -  but the Honda technology lags behind - all those gizmos and safety features - 7 airbags etc - I have a  blue CHR hybrid - it’s so smooth and quiet . Ecomony is brilliant - but who cares really . 

No it’s not quick - but good handling and progressively fast - I’m not sure why the press is obsssed with 0-60 in 5 secs . This is Thailand - smoothly and slower the better.

As they say - up to you - grey haired Honda driver - or a bit more funky CHR - BLUE 

CHR? Nissan Juke? I guess you either love or hate funky car design.?

By the way, my hair is starting to turn a bit gray....

12 hours ago, bearpolar said:

Dude, cx-3 is like 35% smaller. You can't move anything around. The point of the HR-V  type car is having space.

No one cares about handling on bad thai roads. The only thing that end up mattering here is space and comfort. mazda/nissan interior is weak compared to honda/toyota

That's why there's rarely threads on it.. Great little fun car but not for Thailand and large families.  It's for nice roads in narcissistic countries.

Yes, it is smaller, and so I clearly pointed out if you need space, go for the HRV. OP notes that the car would mainly be used by his wife, so space not might be an important point, especially if she had a Yaris.

THe CX-3's handling is ideal for Thai roads. Soaks up the bumps and rolls less on the unexpectedly sharp turns resulting in better control. The noticeably more powerful engine can get you out of tight spots more quickly, and yet the fuel economy of the Mazda is slightly better than the 1.8l CVT transmission of the Honda.

Interior wise, putting aside my own opinion, I have yet to read a review that said the Honda was better than the CS-3. The latter commonly being compared to the likes of Audi and Mercedes in it's detailing.

I stand by my original assertion.... if you need to drive 4 people + luggage around, or fit a mountain bike in the back, get a HR-V, otherwise the CX-3 is the superior car.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bahtboy said:

It gets many admiring comments.

:clap2: A 'perfect' fit in the Kingdom.

No need to be concerned with costs or mechanicals or electrics etc.

Edited by lvr181
Additional wording

Can you please don't recommand the C-HR anymore on this forum, I can see so many on the roads now !! ?

I won't say that it's really the best car available now on small SUV,  NO ! because I want people to buy more honda or ford or nissan.... please don't buy the C-HR !

5.0 litres/ 100 km with mixed driving styles : my wife for kids delivery to school (kids may not have so much space but they love the car) and myself on mostly sporty driving, I can tell that even it's not the fastest car I drove but I does the job , and it does it very very smoothly : the CVT is really OK, far away from the honda (wich is the worst, it makes your engine screaming and crying when you request power).  I didn't test maximum speed but I was able to drive at 175 km/h on a wide road with my hybrid version. What I love about this car is that it's the best TOY i had since many years, I enjoy all the technologie and dynamic cruise control is just too addictive.

The CX3 is soo small and not so comfortable interior, where do you put your elbow, hey ? Anyway it's a question of taste and habits, I don't like mazda audio system, others might like it.

You also can't compare CX3 with C-HR it's so much different, if you already really thinking that way.. you are not ready to buy anything for now.. like you said in the first place you are "not into car", so let your wife decide if she feels something for one model.

• Like 1

As per Toyota when I was there last week, they told me if I order now, it will take 3 weeks for delivery. Anyway, i am not on hurry.

Can you please don't recommand the C-HR anymore on this forum, I can see so many on the roads now !! [emoji846]

I won't say that it's really the best car available now on small SUV,  NO ! because I want people to buy more honda or ford or nissan.... please don't buy the C-HR !

5.0 litres/ 100 km with mixed driving styles : my wife for kids delivery to school (kids may not have so much space but they love the car) and myself on mostly sporty driving, I can tell that even it's not the fastest car I drove but I does the job , and it does it very very smoothly : the CVT is really OK, far away from the honda (wich is the worst, it makes your engine screaming and crying when you request power).  I didn't test maximum speed but I was able to drive at 175 km/h on a wide road with my hybrid version. What I love about this car is that it's the best TOY i had since many years, I enjoy all the technologie and dynamic cruise control is just too addictive.

The CX3 is soo small and not so comfortable interior, where do you put your elbow, hey ? Anyway it's a question of taste and habits, I don't like mazda audio system, others might like it.
You also can't compare CX3 with C-HR it's so much different, if you already really thinking that way.. you are not ready to buy anything for now.. like you said in the first place you are "not into car", so let your wife decide if she feels something for one model.

Actually, i can see more HRV on the road than CHR. Probably because CHR was release recently.
You are right: i am not into car. My wife neither. The problem is that both my wife and me can't decide between the honda and the toyota. We both like both of them.
After reading comments and discussions, we will probably go for the Toyota CHR. Main reason is that we can't find anything wrong with it and our last 2 cars were Toyota. We never had any issue with Toyota.

1 hour ago, jphasia said:

Actually, i can see more HRV on the road than CHR. Probably because CHR was release recently.
You are right: i am not into car. My wife neither. The problem is that both my wife and me can't decide between the honda and the toyota. We both like both of them.
After reading comments and discussions, we will probably go for the Toyota CHR. Main reason is that we can't find anything wrong with it and our last 2 cars were Toyota. We never had any issue with Toyota.

The "magic seat" is the only thing I like in Honda cars and my Toyota vios is like brand new after 100k and 7 years old... So i go for Toyota too.. And was so pleased to discover such a refinement in this new model chr. Anyway when i tried honda the girls where so unfriendly, it did not help me to change my mind : in Thailand Honda is selling like noodles portions..Employees where so rude, no need to be nice. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Yes I have a CHR with Toyota 1.8 motor and has a Toyota CVT.  This is not the same as Honda 1.8 and Honda CVT

7 hours ago, Zendo said:

Can you please don't recommand the C-HR anymore on this forum, I can see so many on the roads now !! ?

I live in Issan and hardly see any CHRs here.  The CHR is the best of the 2 IMO.

• Like 1