Marine talkfest to ensure better marine safety in Phuket

webfact

Marine talkfest to ensure better marine safety in Phuket

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

S__28737669.jpg

A meeting was held this morning (July 23) at the Chalong Pier. The meeting was led by Navy chief of staff Admiral Pichet Tannaset who was determined to follow through with measures that would ensure marine safety – better controlling tour boats in Phuket in order to prevent marine accidents.

Admiral Pichet says, “We don’t have direct power to enforce the law but we have seen many problems emerge from this boat tragedy.”

“We want see vastly improved passenger management at all ports as soon as possible. Also the checking of boats and boat safety equipment. A draft tour boat management enforcement procedure is currently being prepared.”

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/marine-measurements-discussed-to-ensure-no-more-marine-accidents-in-phuket

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-07-24

“We don’t have direct power to enforce the law but we have seen many problems emerge from this boat tragedy.”

No power to enforce laws, witch laws are they unable to enforce? If no laws can be enforced what is the point of the Navy having anything to do with this and I assume he is referring to the Navies power in relation to this incident.

Also, clearly the Police have power, power to seize company assets, imprison the boats engineer and detain the owner of the tour company.

"A draft tour boat management enforcement procedure is currently being prepared.” This is a positive move, but how about a talk fest to announce and introduce this procedure when it is complete.

You don't have to be too cynical to be concerned that this may be the first and last time this procedure is mentioned.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

A draft tour boat management enforcement procedure is currently being prepared.

Better late then never I guess, but the problem in this country is always "enforcement".

Enforcement without corruption would be good!

• Like 1

They have and enforce all types of regulations on foreign owned vessels that come into Thai waters, but little or none on Thai registered vessels. Funny how karma comes around to bite the authorities in the ass. 

12 hours ago, webfact said:

better controlling tour boats in Phuket in order to prevent marine accidents

Oh my, Oh my! This is like an outrageously awesome idea and concept. Did they come up with that one all alone at the meeting, or did it come from a consultant or a newly created commission to look into the problem?

4 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

"We protect marine life from mussel catchers, dead coral collectors and fish feeding russians. Eh,by the way, is that another tour boat sinking slowly in the west?"

I thought Russians were bottom-feeders?

I saw some prawns in a disco in Phuket. One of them pulled a mussel muscle.

• Haha 1