Wif'e Retirement Visa

dinfisher

My wife will come to Thailand and has to get a non immigrant visa valid for 90 days and then change it to a retiremnt visa. Will she have to wait 60 days before they accept her application and will I have to change my savings account to a joint one as I brought in 800,000 baht when I applied in my own name. we do have an amphur marriage certificate. The duty free importation of HHGDS and effects on the retirement visa is under question too. Any experiences? dinfisher

My wife will come to Thailand and has to get a non immigrant visa valid for 90 days and then change it to a retiremnt visa. Will she have to wait 60 days before they accept her application and will I have to change my savings account to a joint one as I brought in 800,000 baht when I applied in my own name. we do have an amphur marriage certificate. The duty free importation of HHGDS and effects on the retirement visa is under question too. Any experiences? dinfisher

Is your wife a Thai, and are you on an extended retirement visa ?

If you are on a retiremnet visa your wife, whatever her nationality, can apply with the money IN YOUR bank account and obtain the same visa. she can apply as soon as she wqnats. the 1 year visa will start on the day she enetered the kingdom.

price is now 1,900 baht, takes 15 minutes in Phuket ( if your down here)

need to show a medical certificate (obtained for about 80 baht) and copy your passport and thats it!!

A friend of mine is on a retirment visa and his vietnamese wife is on his visa although she is only 31.

NO problem

My wife has a British passport but we did get married in Thailand in 1970 and have amphur certificates as well as embassy and church marriage certificates. I thought the retirement visa would be given for 1 year but from the date that I first came in on the non immigrant visa which I changed to a 1 year one in march (starting from Jan when I came in). I am still worried about shiopment of effects since we will not have residents' visaa or worjk permit and may be liable for duty as the retirement status is not so well established is it? Regards dinfisher

If she is thai and has a thai passport ( you didn't say if she gave it up or not) and has been out of the country for more than 1 year she can bring all the personal effects she wnats back to Thailand duty free.

SHE brings them in not you. so nothing to do with your visa/permits

If she is thai and has a thai passport ( you didn't say if she gave it up or not) and has been out of the country for more than 1 year she can bring all the personal effects she wnats back to Thailand duty free.

SHE brings them in not you. so nothing to do with your visa/permits

Dead right. And he'd only need 400,000 baht rather than 800,000 baht. If she isn't, he cannot bring goods in without duty unless he already holds an extended visa.