Thai Airways Boeing 777 in emergency landing in Dhaka

webfact

44 minutes ago, AdamTheFarang said:

If you have burst tyres before landing would you not tell the airport as early as possible to allow them time to assemble emergency teams? Was the Daily Star accurate?

yes you would, so he didn't have any burst tyres before landing. . 

1 hour ago, bdenner said:

@Mattd:- Good post. Lets not leave it to all these "arm chair" pilots and leave it to the experts to do their jobs!

I was previously rated on the B777, so not an 'arm chair pilot'.  This just doesn't sound right.  Its either bad or very inaccurate reporting , or he landed heavy and burst the tyres.  It didn't happen prior to landing, or if it somehow did, the crew ignored all safety and procedural  protocols in the handling of the incident. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jaiyen said:

It doesn't say when the tyres burst. Was it on take off or landing ?

'He said, the Dhaka-bound flight coming in from Bangkok informed the traffic control tower of the burst wheel moments before landing (according to the Daily Star).

Interesting. I saw a similar accident at a Narita airport around June 29. My flight taxied around this Korean 777. After landing it taxied a short distance and was then stuck on the tarmac . Several hundreds of people delayed for hours, I’m told.

http://m.yna.co.kr/mob2/en/contents_en.jsp?cid=AEN20180629012300320&site=0200000000&mobile

They said it was a good landing but the plane after the Korean did a “go around” Due to high wind. I don’t think a go around is a hazardous maneuver on its own if done properly but only done for a reason that it is NOT SAFE TO LAND. I have been on one it was terrifying. Go around then fly around for twenty minutes with no information from the pilot! (American Eagle)

Here is a YouTube spotter geek video of the landing.

[/url] 

They said it was a normal landing. I can tell you the winds that day were hellacious. My landing was FIRM (United Airlines), but scary coming down. I asked one of the ground staff why they said they burst tires! Nope, the axle broke!

IMG_1166.JPG.a2680a6983ac1e240c61417f3472b350.JPG&key=23c5b6de1e9b847133544672e20a15a937b0d0b41b4f279f87426d50d063ba49

14 hours ago, TKDfella said:

'He said, the Dhaka-bound flight coming in from Bangkok informed the traffic control tower of the burst wheel moments before landing (according to the Daily Star).

According to the statement on the Thai Airways official Facebook page, the tyres burst, "while landing on the runway."

I think Thai Airways probably have a better idea of what actually happened.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Yes, the thethaiger.com news written on the o/p doesn't even mention bad weather, so poor reporting from start to finish.

17 hours ago, Pilotman said:

So why did he need to use that supposed 'skill' , landed in conditions beyond his skill set is my assumption.  

Captaining an airliner is most about managing a crew and decision making.

No skill is required to fly a plane, they are 100 percent automatic, under most conditions.

This why the Asiana crashed at SFO.

The ground based equipment required for automatic landing was out of service.

There is a known problem of pilots losing basic skills compared to the golden age of aviation skill due to over reliance on this automation!

So the Asiana pilots flubbed a manual landing in perfect weather to a long runway what should be easy-peasy for any pilot. There is also a tendency in Korea of Copilots never questioning the Captains decisions, due to Korean Confucian culture.

This is why the Korean Air crashed on Guam back in the 1980's

The copilot knew the captain was flying into a mountain  did not say anything!

They were forced to bring in foreign safety consultants at risk of being banned from the USA!

Need more info on this incident.

I have been on Thai airways hundreds of times, there are delays  but I never experienced a cancellation,  technical fault, or bad turbulence. I'd rather pay a little more the LCCs here are pretty bad have tried several.

I think TG runs  a safe airline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

According to the statement on the Thai Airways official Facebook page, the tyres burst, "while landing on the runway."

But I'm quoting the OP not a web search.

On 7/25/2018 at 7:47 PM, Pilotman said:

he would know at any time.  The tyre monitoring system on the 777 is accurate enough that he would have know the condition before landing.  Had he known, he would have informed the passengers and had them prepared, he didn't,  so I guess that they burst on landing.  My guess, based in this very limited reporting  evidence, is that the tyres burst on landing, due possibly to a heavy landing in wet and windy conditions. 

but I thought the post said that he informed the tower before landing.

14 hours ago, car720 said:

but I thought the post said that he informed the tower before landing.

I doubt that as he would have prepared the passengers at the same time or very shorty afterwards.  There is no report that he did so. He would also have declared an emergency , in accordance with standard  ICAO procedures, there is no report that he did so.  If it was so as reported,  he would have known by indication that his tyres had deflated, so he would have taken his time.  He would have  declared the emergency, dumped fuel if he had surplus, prepared the cabin crew and passengers, and then landed, probably at an alternate without the rain and wind, if that was available to him.   None of that is reported to have happened. He also would not have landed in squally rain with deflated tyres if there had been any  other options.  So much of this report indicted that the tyres burst after a heavy landing and that caused the aircraft to depart the runway. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Geordieabroad said:

Read the article, "informed the traffic control tower of the burst wheels moments before landing"

I can't see how that can be true. Shortly after landing yes, not shortly before. I have posted why I think that.  Not that it matters now. 

22 hours ago, Geordieabroad said:

Read the article, "informed the traffic control tower of the burst wheels moments before landing"

Don't believe everything you read. The o/p news article seems to be written by a 5th grader. Always read other sources before making an opinion. For example I read the TG plane landed in bad weather (as seems to be a common error of Thai pilots over the years?) skidded off and then back on the runway puncturing the tyres on the runway lights. Just wait for the investigative report and thankfully no one hurt - this time.