Limits set on number of SIM cards individuals can buy

webfact

Limits set on number of SIM cards individuals can buy

By Thai PBS

file4.jpg

The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission has decided to impose a cap on the number of SIM cards that each individual subscriber can buy.

NBTC secretary-general Takorn Tanthasit said that under the new measure endorsed by the regulator, each individual subscriber can buy a maximum of five SIM cards from each of the mobile phone service providers.

If the subscriber wants to buy more than five SIM cards, he or she must buy the additional cards at the service centres of the service providers who will be required to report the purchases to the NBTC office.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/limits-set-number-sim-cards-individuals-can-buy/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-07-26
  • Haha 1

This will easy to enforce. ? ? 

Mind you 5 SIM cards (or numbers) per provider will still entitle the person to 15 or 20 SIM cards and numbers. It would be interesting to see how the average person would justify that number of phone numbers let alone being able to afford to keep them active. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BigBadGeordie said:

So that is why, I thought it may have been due to to the setting up of "boiler rooms"; gambling call centres; illegal lottery; ponzi schemes; romance scams or detonating IEDs.

But it appears we were both wrong.

I find this answer much more plausible.

Thank you Bluesofa, oh wise one.

?

My knowledge of a thousand years days comes with a price. pm me for my bank details.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, basatop said:

BigBadGeordie Platinum Member

why? to stop reselling sim cards to unregistered users.Now you will ask: why some people do not like to be registered?

Are you by the way a, like Eddie Murphy said in berverly Hills Cop, psychic from the island of St: Croix? 

By the way, not a bright idea to resell a sim to unregistered users. The sim you sell must already be registered in your name. Don´t try that at home boys and girls. So, when the next boms goes of in the south. You know it wears your name.

By the way 2: I am not going to ask why some people do not like to be registered, either.

Edited by Get Real
  • Like 1

Does anyone remember when you could just pick up a bunch of free sim cards at the airport on arrival?

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed again. Please stop using bold font when posting.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

You still, only now you'll end up with a bunch of five(s)!

One is all I ever needed and it is too much.  However you have to have a cell number to do anything in Thailand.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed again. Please stop using bold font when posting.

16 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Why?

Anybody?

Some people use mobile phone networks to terminate incoming international voice calls in Thailand.

These are called "Grey Routes" and traffic travels over the internet and bypass the licenced international call operators.

Using minutes allowances which can be quite generous, there is money to be made..

edit: Havn't we all received calls from weird Thai number to find it was from abroad?

Edited by Satcommlee

3 minutes ago, Satcommlee said:

Some people use mobile phone networks to terminate incoming international voice calls in Thailand.

These are called "Grey Routes" and traffic travels over the internet and bypass the licenced international call operators.

Using minutes allowances which can be quite generous, there is money to be made..

edit: Havn't we all received calls from weird Thai number to find it was from abroad?

Thanks for that, I will sleep better tonight.

12 minutes ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Thanks for that, I will sleep better tonight.

Tell the maid or Thai gf to buy you one if your worried about staying anonymous.... 

This crap all started when religious terrorists were using them to set off bombs in the south so it's understandable that the govt were under pressure to do something..... 

Isp will already know who you are anyway as soon as you log into your online banks, shopping,  WiFi  and your imei number probably logged to every previous sim you've ever used etc so there seems little point in not registering your own name unless you are a bit paranoid lol