Garmin GPS

Jaochoo

Looking to purchase a Garmin GPS for my new motorcycle and would really appreciate some advice from anyone using the same.

1.  For the purpose of my question, let’s assume you have ample space and can fit any model on your bike. Would you go for the Zumo 395 (4.3” screen) or Zumo 595 (5” screen)?  
  2. There is a significant difference in the price and although the Zumo 595 has some additional features, I am not entirely convinced I would find these that useful. However, if the larger screen and the dual orientation feature is a really big advantage then I would probably go with this regardless. Any thoughts?
  3. I am considering buying the GPS outside of Thailand as the price is cheaper and a few accessories are also included. I will therefore require a Thailand map and my initial research suggests that the best map is ‘Thailand City Navigator’. I hope this is correct? This map will obviously need to be updated periodically and ‘Garmin’ Thailand has confirmed a price of 450 Baht per update. Somewhat surprisingly, this same charge applies even if I was to buy the GPS in Thailand, as unlike in the west, free lifetime map updates are not available for motorcycle GPS units.
  4. I understand the ‘Thailand City Navigator’ map comes pre-installed on Garmin GPS units purchased in Thailand. This same map can be purchased separately on a SD card and can be installed on a GPS unit purchased outside of Thailand. However, I’m sure I remember reading an old post on this very subject suggesting that the pre-installed map is in fact different and better than the version purchased separately. Garmin Thailand didn’t mention anything about this but......!!!!  Can anyone confirm if this is correct?
  5. I have been informed that certain features such as 3D building and junction view are not available on the Thai maps. Are there any other features that are not available on Thai maps as I don’t want to buy a GPS unit with this huge list of features only to find that many of them are not available in Thailand?

Sorry about the long list of questions but I need to make a quick decision so that I can place my order overseas in time for my friends return flight to Thailand.

Incidentally, I am not interested in using any kind of Smartphone or similar device to navigate. Also, I am aware of the new model Zumo 396 and I assume a Zumo 596 will no doubt appear in the near future. However, the Wi-Fi feature is not a deal breaker for me and I also don’t have the luxury of waiting.

Many thanks in anticipation of your replies.

Edited by Jaochoo
Error

I have a Garmin Zumo 595 mounted on my bikes, i have installed a powered mount on both bikes, and i purchased it in Australia.

I bought the 'local' thailand map from garmin bangkok and it is great to use.

street addresses can be a nightmare but i have found that it is the anglicising of the Thai written language that is the problem.

as for navigation it works great and i have set up mine to divert around freeways/tollways.

there are other maps that can be loaded onto Garmin that are available online for free, so you can always update them.

Rob

Had a Garmin Zumo 600 for over 10 years.

Last year, on a ride around Chiang Rai, it could not locate Singha Park, which has been there for over 12 years

This with the latest 2017 Thai map installed

My fone found it right away with Google maps

For what they charge for them, the Garmins are a waste of money when any cheap  smartfone will outperform them

Riding in N. America and Europe they makes sense, due to popularity, and the company updates them regularly

But the company cares little for SE Asia, as evidence by their lack of support with map updates.

Throw out the Garmin map, use Nightrider, and they are OK. But too much $$$ for what you get

i is happy, actually so happy that i do use it on two bikes.

a shop in Brisbane is where i bought them from with all braces and stuff.

i cannot name the shop here but i know they will post it if u like.