Laminate flooring or tiles

bbabythai

We are soon to open a clinic and were thinking of doing laminate flooring in the reception/ waiting room area and in the raised flooring leading to the consulting rooms we were thinking of doing tiles. We kind of wanted to have that streaky marble looking white floor in that raised floor area but I cant find that design in laminate. 

My gut feeling is that we should not do tiles as it doesnt last as long and what if we need to get under the raised floor to check the pipe system. 

If you have ever installed laminate flooring in your place .... whats it like? Any tips?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2018 at 8:30 AM, wpcoe said:

My experiences with laminate flooring (in two places) was meh.  It "floats" and it sounds like walking on a high school dance floor in the gymnasium.

That's not a negative if you don't like walking on tiles in bare feet..like me.

18 hours ago, bobbin said:

That's not a negative if you don't like walking on tiles in bare feet..like me.

I dunno.  When I reno'd  a house (in the US) and put down wood laminate flooring it still didn't feel "firm" when walking on it.  Different strokes, I guess.

(I'm assuming you are saying you don' t mind walking on laminate in bare feet?)

On 8/12/2018 at 7:17 AM, wpcoe said:

I dunno.  When I reno'd  a house (in the US) and put down wood laminate flooring it still didn't feel "firm" when walking on it.  Different strokes, I guess.

(I'm assuming you are saying you don' t mind walking on laminate in bare feet?)

do you recommend an underlaying that is more thin than thick to fix this issue?

On 8/10/2018 at 8:30 AM, wpcoe said:

My experiences with laminate flooring (in two places) was meh.  It "floats" and it sounds like walking on a high school dance floor in the gymnasium.

do you recommend an underlaying that is more thin than thick to fix this issue?

On 7/28/2018 at 9:34 AM, bbabythai said:

My gut feeling is that we should not do tiles as it doesnt last as long and what if we need to get under the raised floor to check the pipe system.

"My gut feeling is that we should not do tiles as it doesnt last as long  "

Tile would last longer, especially in a commercial application. 

"what if we need to get under the raised floor to check the pipe system. "

I assume you have concrete floors. in which case tiles would be easier if you needed to get in to the floor to fix a pipe. Laminate is interlocking , (one piece locks on the next) so  depending on the location of the repair, you might have to remove a large section of the floor or most of it  With tiles  you just remove the ones on the location of the repair , then close the hole with cement and put the tiles back. 

If you go the tile way, make sure you buy some extra for later repairs because even if you could find the same ones later on they will not be exactly the same shade, Tiles are done in lots ( oven firings) and every time they do a firing there is a slight difference in the color shade. 

If you go with the laminate, make sure you get a commercial grade to handle the traffic of the  clinic, and the cleaning it would require from the increased use. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I would suggest you to go with laminate flooring rather than tiles. A laminate floor is durable for a long time and can provide you with a unique look too. A friend of mine too has laminated her clinic floor and along with it bought the ergonomic chairs with the right casters which she purchased from this store (https://www.officesolutionsfl.com/new-furniture),  which are flexible to move in the laminate flooring. This is one of the biggest advantages you can have through such floor. A smooth laminate flooring helps in the flexible movement of the chair while you work.

• 3 weeks later...

Most laminate  flooring is total cack, first bit of water on it and its  scrap, get tiles wet and nothing happens, just a matter  of time before the crap Thai plumbing leaks and your  shiny laminate is scrap or your aircon leaks on it and its scrap

And dont think the maid wont slosh gallons of water on it too.

Exeperience many condos in bkK with these  floors  , ripped  out and replaced with tiles, developers use them as they are cheap and fast

Edited by kannot
  • Haha 1

On 9/8/2018 at 7:11 PM, TeresaSy said:

I would suggest you to go with laminate flooring rather than tiles. A laminate floor is durable for a long time and can provide you with a unique look too. A friend of mine too has laminated her clinic floor and along with it bought the ergonomic chairs with the right casters which she purchased from this store (https://www.officesolutionsfl.com/new-furniture),  which are flexible to move in the laminate flooring. This is one of the biggest advantages you can have through such floor. A smooth laminate flooring helps in the flexible movement of the chair while you work.

????????