Which Province Offers The Best Lifestyle?

AdamTheFarang

15 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Ao Nang was just beautiful with the limestone cliffs, tropical forest and sea all in the same field of view.

Yep, he should try Ao Nang...…………..nice little town, Krabi nearby, nice beaches and scenery and a few nice restaurants. Also close to some islands for diving and exploring. Sorted!

On 8/5/2018 at 2:39 PM, jackdd said:

As said already, Vietnam is more expensive (rooms, food...)

Thai food is just way better than Vietnamese food (of course another person might have a different opinion regarding the food, but Vietnam food is just "boring", so most people would prefer Thai food).

The Infrastructure is much less developed than Thailand (Hospitals, shopping centers, public transport...)

A lot of thefts in Vietnam, in the night you have to lock your motorbike inside or it will get stolen, a lot more bag snatches and so on

Sleeping with a Vietnamese woman is illegal if you are not married, usually no problem, but if somebody wants to blackmail you it might become one

These are just a few points that came into my mind, probably there are more than that. I had a Vietnamese girlfriend a while ago and have been there quite a few times.

Of course Vietnam does also have nice things, i really don't want you to get the impression that everything is bad. But if somebody wants to choose between living in Thailand or living in Vietnam in my opinion Thailand clearly wins.

I own property in both countries - spend about 3 months a year in both, I agree somewhat to what you are saying but I have never had anything stolen from me inVietnam, not so in Thailand..........even the Vietnamese like Thai Food, I bring my viet family to JomTien every summer for a month or so, they always gain a couple kilos.  Your 1st post was kind of harsh, there is no way Vietnam is more expensive than Thailand, only hotels that are expensive are the 5 star ones in Saigon, or the resorts in Hoi Anh and Nha Trang  - I stay in a nice 3 star hotel months at a time in Nha Trang for $22 a night, where you gonna get that in Thailand .......a Hostel??  I have been going/investing in Vietnam since 1999, I know what I am talking about.

• 4 months later...
On 8/5/2018 at 2:29 AM, TunnelRat69 said:

Vietnam is one third the cost of living compared to Thailand  -  except now in the Housing market, it has sky rocketed in the major cities, and some what in the rural areas. Just like Thailand did in the Eighties, you see what happened to Thailand??  eventually it wll happen to Vietnam  -  Rents are very cheap, but the quality is not as good as Tailand - Yet.   Join Expat.com  Vietnam section, there are some lively discussions there.

Thanks for the Vietnam info.

What about healthcare?

Check the avarage rain agains every possible place you can think of settle, and also high and low temps. Clima is nr one, and then you can go everywhere you want when season is ready for you. 

Hua Hin less rain more sun, not to hot, not to cold. 

41 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

What about healthcare?

From what I have read save enough money to fly to Bangkok or Singapore and hope you don't die before you get there.  I have a heart condition so I stay within 20 minutes of a good cardiac unit at all times and I don't go to Vietnam.  Thailand no problems.  It is my understand if you have tests done Vietnam sends them to Singapore to process.  I am sure there are more knowledgeable people than I for specific questions. 

13 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

What about healthcare?

Depends, its a lot better now in the larger cities, International hospitals popping up all over - I have had decent care in the normal local hospitals, but have yet to have anything done major.....yet - unlike Thailand, old people can get Medical Insurance here, my whole family had insurance in a 'Traditional Medicine University Hospital' in Cao Lan, couple hrs south of Saigon and an hour north of my house...our local hospital can do everything I need for run of the mill stuff......you won't find Bumrungrad or Bangkok Hospital in Vietnam, but there are some good International hospitals here.  Depends on your current health............ 

On 8/7/2018 at 12:05 AM, TunnelRat69 said:

I own property in both countries - spend about 3 months a year in both, I agree somewhat to what you are saying but I have never had anything stolen from me inVietnam, not so in Thailand..........even the Vietnamese like Thai Food, I bring my viet family to JomTien every summer for a month or so, they always gain a couple kilos.  Your 1st post was kind of harsh, there is no way Vietnam is more expensive than Thailand, only hotels that are expensive are the 5 star ones in Saigon, or the resorts in Hoi Anh and Nha Trang  - I stay in a nice 3 star hotel months at a time in Nha Trang for $22 a night, where you gonna get that in Thailand .......a Hostel??  I have been going/investing in Vietnam since 1999, I know what I am talking about.

Foreigners cannot own land in Vietnam.  Why would you stay in a hotel for months at a time in Nha Trang if you are a property "tycoon"?  Why not stay on the property?

5 hours ago, grifbel said:

Foreigners cannot own land in Vietnam.  Why would you stay in a hotel for months at a time in Nha Trang if you are a property "tycoon"?  Why not stay on the property?

Let's just say I like variety, I have the house and farm in the Delta, but when "I" want a vacation, I go to the East Coast, watching rice, Coconuts and mangoes grow is now my idea of a vacation.

Oh, and your wrong, Foreigners can own land, its just so new a law that not many know how to handle it - it has to be in an 'approved' area for foreigners, it can consist of no more than enough to build a house on with a little left over, I look for this to change over the next couple years.

Edited by TunnelRat69