A Very Broad Post

Mugwump

Hi

Coming to Pattaya in May after previously visited in 2004 and 2002

I always like to look on forums before I travel to see local news etc. I have read quite a few threads and I would appreciate any feedback from members on the following

1/ I must say I am saddened to read many posts about a huge rise in crime. Is this really the case? I ask because before my first trip in 2002 I read some horror story's only to find Pattaya to be about the friendliest place I have ever been. Obviously I appreciate that no where in the world is 100% safe but I can not help but imagine that things might be getting blown out of proportion. After all, most seaside resorts in The UK are now filled with benefit claimants and Asylum seekers and my home town of Ipswich has in the past few months witnessed 5 murders on vice girls, three nightclub shootings (one fatality) and the odd stabbing here and there. A night in town rarely passes without a mass brawl of some sort.

After my last visit to Pattaya I went to Koh Samui and found the place much more inhospitable than Pattaya. Sure you can go to a deserted Island in Thailand and swim with turtles but where is the fun in that? I might add that on both my previous visits I was with my wife and children and at no time at all did I feel threatened in any way despite being out in the bars at all times of night (with the kids)!

2/ My previous stay was at The Dusit which I thought was a great place but this time I fancy renting a Condo for a couple of weeks at the beginning of May. I fancy the condo option for two reasons; a/ cheaper, b/ no problem with guests. I was looking to get the best studio or one bed roomed apartment for around 17'000THB per week so if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate any help. Alternatively I have been offered the following;

CR2134: Corner unit for Rent: View Talay Condo, Building B Project 2 (101

Sq.m.) 16th floor. Large living room, European kitchen, bedroom, bathroom,

tiled floor, Telephone line, Cable TV, fully furnished and decorated,

Pattaya side view over the sea. Located 500 metres from Jomtien beach, and

2-3 minutes from central Pattaya. The condominium building at View Talay,

has 24Hr security, a very large swimming pool, many shops and other

facilities on-site, as well as a large car parking area.

Priced at 25,000 Baht (2) weeks - (Water and Electric not included)

CR2560: Double Room for Rent : View Talay Condo (Project 2) Building A (82

Sq.m) on the 12th floor. 1 bedroom, 2 bathrooms, European kitchen, tiled

floor, 2 balconies, Air conditioning, Cable TV, fully furnished &

decorated, Jomtien side. Located 500 metres from Jomtien beach, and 2-3

minutes from central Pattaya. The condominium building at View Talay, has

24Hr security, a very large swimming pool, many shops and other facilities

on-site, as well as a large car parking area.

The View Talay thing is very confusing to me as there appear to be quite a few buildings and they must vary greatly in quality. Also, the prices for these two seem higher than others in View Talay which I dont mind as long as they are of better class.

Thank you for sticking with this long post, I was going to end asking advice about purchasing a Condo in Pattaya but am wary now as everyone seems to advise against it. The situation is thus;

I was about to put £10k down on a new Merc and finance the rest through my company but then I thought that I could buy a Condo in Pattaya for £10K! Even if the Condo does not rise in price it can't depreciate as much as a new car will. Then I thought I could buy off plan (I can hear the shrieks now) as I will not have to pay the total until it is finished which gives me an extra year to then be able to afford up to £20k. Again, advice will be appreciated.

Finally, if the horror stories about Pattaya crime are true then what is Chang Mai like? Is it horrible and sanitized or is there still some scope for mischief?

Regards

Mugwump

Hi

I always like to look on forums before I travel to see local news etc. I have read quite a few threads and I would appreciate any feedback from members on the following

1/ I must say I am saddened to read many posts about a huge rise in crime. Is this really the case? I ask because before my first trip in 2002 I read some horror story's only to find Pattaya to be about the friendliest place I have ever been. Obviously I appreciate that no where in the world is 100% safe but I can not help but imagine that things might be getting blown out of proportion. After all, most seaside resorts in The UK are now filled with benefit claimants and Asylum seekers and my home town of Ipswich has in the past few months witnessed 5 murders on vice girls, three nightclub shootings (one fatality) and the odd stabbing here and there. A night in town rarely passes without a mass brawl of some sort.

After my last visit to Pattaya I went to Koh Samui and found the place much more inhospitable than Pattaya. Sure you can go to a deserted Island in Thailand and swim with turtles but where is the fun in that? I might add that on both my previous visits I was with my wife and children and at no time at all did I feel threatened in any way despite being out in the bars at all times of night (with the kids)!

2/ My previous stay was at The Dusit which I thought was a great place but this time I fancy renting a Condo for a couple of weeks at the beginning of May. I fancy the condo option for two reasons; a/ cheaper, b/ no problem with guests. I was looking to get the best studio or one bed roomed apartment for around 17'000THB per week so if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate any help. Alternatively I have been offered the following;

The View Talay thing is very confusing to me as there appear to be quite a few buildings and they must vary greatly in quality. Also, the prices for these two seem higher than others in View Talay which I dont mind as long as they are of better class.

Thank you for sticking with this long post, I was going to end asking advice about purchasing a Condo in Pattaya but am wary now as everyone seems to advise against it. The situation is thus;

I was about to put £10k down on a new Merc and finance the rest through my company but then I thought that I could buy a Condo in Pattaya for £10K! Even if the Condo does not rise in price it can't depreciate as much as a new car will. Then I thought I could buy off plan (I can hear the shrieks now) as I will not have to pay the total until it is finished which gives me an extra year to then be able to afford up to £20k. Again, advice will be appreciated.

Finally, if the horror stories about Pattaya crime are true then what is Chang Mai like? Is it horrible and sanitized or is there still some scope for mischief?

Regards

Mugwump

Try reading the real estate section of this forum to get ideas about property rental costs - also suggest you come over and stay in a hotel for a few days and then do your search for a condo on a face to face basis. With a budget of 17k for accommodation for two weeks you can stay anywhere you want.

Chiang Mai is a nice place and I hope it stays that way and that folks looking for mischief keep going to Pattaya!

Hi

Regards

Mugwump

[/quo

one thing that always annoys me in adverts is when it says 2-3 minutes from or 200 metres from.. when its simply not true.be aware that view talay condos are NOT 2-3 minutes from central pattaya. if i was going to be spending my time in pattaya i would stay in pattaya,as it can be a hassle getting back to jomtien after a night out so im told.likewise i would stay in jomtien if i was going to spend most of my time there.there are loads of serviced apartments around pattaya within your price range.as for buying a condo here ,id buy the merc!!

• 1 month later...
Hi

Regards

Mugwump

Hi Mugwump.

View Talay is in Jomtien, just south of Pattaya. The main two condos consist of two hirise buildings with swimming pools outside on the ground level. Very nice. Normally they rent out for about 15,000 to 20,000 a month.

I have a friend who rents their single room about 45 sq met for 9000 baht per month plus water and electric.

Their are several nice Apartments in town, Central Pattaya that you can probably rent for 12,000 baht, the problem is finding them while your not in Pattaya.

About the crime, all that has happened is it is on the news more than before. the crime has gone up a little, but if you don't do anything you wouldn't do at home then you won't have any problems. If you go walking on the beach at 4AM then what do you expect.

Thailand including Pattaya is safe. they do have the navy police riding with the Pattaya police after dark. these mesures were instigated by the govenor of Chonburi province to heighten security due to world wide threars of terorism.

If you need anything drop me a PM.

I have lived here a long time with my Thai wife and 9 year old son.

Barry

Crime is out of control in Jomtien and Pattaya.

If you pay that kind of money in Pattaya for a condo you must be on some very serious kind of medication.

Never invest your money in Real estae in Thailand beacuse you have no rights and the Govt can change the rules at any time or should I say the Military.

Come here enjoy your 2 weeks but bring a bullet proof vest or pick one up in duty free at the new airport when you arrive.

cheers Tony :o

Hi

I always like to look on forums before I travel to see local news etc. I have read quite a few threads and I would appreciate any feedback from members on the following...

Regards

Mugwump

Try reading the real estate section of this forum to get ideas about property rental costs - also suggest you come over and stay in a hotel for a few days and then do your search for a condo on a face to face basis. With a budget of 17k for accommodation for two weeks you can stay anywhere you want.

Chiang Mai is a nice place and I hope it stays that way and that folks looking for mischief keep going to Pattaya!

sound advice re- staying in the hotel and doing a recon. much better than surfing the net and getting some RE agents bs on what they are trying to sell. pay attention to security and local crime, housebreakings, etc.. i had one telling me that pratumnak hill was safest in pattaya because some princess has a pad there. yeah right!

but don't discount the "London in the 50's" style air pollution up north.

pattaya bash #1

Hey, come on up to Isaan! For one thing, lower crime. And, for 25,000 baht, you can rent a condo for A YEAR! Further, if you fancy water, most of our water buffalo ponds are cleaner than Pattaya's water, too! :o

for 25k baht you can live like a king and thanks to the expansion of western-style amenities and a growing expat community, culture shock shouldn't be too bad.

pattaya bash #2

If you pay that kind of money in Pattaya for a condo you must be on some very serious kind of medication.

Never invest your money in Real estae in Thailand beacuse you have no rights and the Govt can change the rules at any time or should I say the Military.

Come here enjoy your 2 weeks but bring a bullet proof vest or pick one up in duty free at the new airport when you arrive.

pattaya bash # 2.5 (mitigated due to sound reasoning behind comment on the lunacy of property investment in LOS)

pattaya bash # 2.5 (mitigated due to sound reasoning behind comment on the lunacy of property investment in LOS)

Im not Pattaya Bashing Im just telling the way it is go and take a look at the Pattaya News clipings and please take off your rose tinted glasses. :D

Tony, it might read better saying: ''only invest money in Real Estate in Thailand that you can afford to lose/write off.'' :D

Just to preempt the question; I am not an Real Estate Agent nor am I a fake one! :D

Tony, it might read better saying: ''only invest money in Real Estate in Thailand that you can afford to lose/write off.'' :D

Just to preempt the question; I am not an Real Estate Agent nor am I a fake one! :D

i agree with you i think some of the advice on these forums are very miss leading ive live in thailand samui pushing 13 years i have a buisness own property some in company some not i have had a few problems over the years nothing major i love this country and only have good words to say about it if iwas as negged out as some members i would just leave . if i would not have been to thailand before and read some of the replys to genuine questions i wouldnt come so lighten up a little guys :D

Chopper I was living here in 1991 when they changed the law so Foreigners could own 49% of Condos. A lot of my friends at the time said lets buy up and my advice was the same then as now. In the last couple of years some of these people have come to me and said "I Wish I had listened to you back then."

My question is why put yourself in a position to loose money even if you can afford it.

Im not Bashing Im just saying the way it is. I really dont give a FLYING F__CK if someone comes here to live or not buy real estate or not. Its up to the person.

This is taken from a press conference Wednesday 14th March 2007:

A press conference now from the Sukawadee Mansions in Banglamung organized by the Chonburi Attraction Club who, in cooperation with the Pattaya Business and Tourism Club announced a scheme to supplement the struggling local tourism industry by attracting the commercial and industrial sectors here in Thailand to use Chonburi Province as a location for seminars and recreational activities. The press conference began with an unusual stage performance followed by details of the scheme which it is hoped will generate much needed extra income for local businesses. Locally the scheme is supported by Pattaya City Hall and the Bangflamung District Administration who were represented at the press conference.

I talk to Thai's that are in Business here and they all tell me business is way down some say by 50% and we still get the plugers on TV saying everything is booming, they dont want to hear the truth.

Gentlemen please take off the rose tinted glasses and have areal look.

Im not Thai bashing or Pattaya bashing these are facts like it or not.

Cheers Tony :D

[/quo

one thing that always annoys me in adverts is when it says 2-3 minutes from or 200 metres from.. when its simply not true.be aware that view talay condos are NOT 2-3 minutes from central pattaya. if i was going to be spending my time in pattaya i would stay in pattaya,as it can be a hassle getting back to jomtien after a night out so im told.likewise i would stay in jomtien if i was going to spend most of my time there.there are loads of serviced apartments around pattaya within your price range.as for buying a condo here ,id buy the merc!!

Absolutely correct.

VT2 is 8 minuets from walking street by Moto and Central is 12 minutes !

Bart buses pass every 20 seconds and charge 10 Bt to central ( Before Topps supermarket --20 Bt beyond ) .

Jomtien has the advantage of being a lot more 'laid back' than Patts and the beaches are nicer .

Vt2 now has very good 24 hr security now .

getting back at night is 120Bt on a Bart bus taxi ( Hold out your hand to any empty Bart bus ) , 60Bt by moto, and 10 Bt if you go to where second road becomes two way ( Parallel to walking street ) and get on one of the queueing buses waiting for you !

I do not do business in Thailand , by the way , so I am impartial in my comments!

On the matter of crime , don't walk on the beach at 3am and don't get yourself silly drunk .

Avoid conspicuous wealth ( Many 1000Bt notes shown and a lot of gold ) and you should have no problems .

I have lived here 4 years now ( VT2) and find the aria safe .

Booking on the Internet can have it's moments as I found when I booked a months stay on soi17 and found myself in the middle of a 'gay village' !

The residents were a jolly lot really , but I did decline any party invites!

Im not Pattaya Bashing Im just telling the way it is go and take a look at the Pattaya News clipings and please take off your rose tinted glasses. :D

OK Tony, i respect yr opinion as you have a few years under your belt and qualify for the 'been there done that' t-shirt.

i agree 100% with your opinion on any sort of falang property ownership, back then and now.

but i don't agree with your 'out of control' crime rate claims. having more media exposure does nor correlate with an increased incidence, we just hear more about it from all the new papers, radios, magazines, tv and the internet.

therefore i revoke the earlier rating and give you a full pattaya bash #3... i tried to be kind.

I live in Pattaya and say don't worry about the crime. I use to live in LA and this place is tame comapared to it. Just don't flash a lot of money around and don't wear a lot of gold. Be smart, you wouldn't want to walk down a dark alley at 2am in any city. If you are coming in May it will be low season and you can get bargins at almost any hotel in Pattaya. If you stay a block back from the beach on 2nd Road you could rent a suite for 8,000 to 10,000 per week and get everyday maid service and breakfast. I like the Grand Sole as it is central to everything but you can check out this link for more info.

http://www.sawadee.com/hotels/pattaya.html

When you get here check the piss up link for where we will be meeting on Friday for drinks and fun.

rdrokit

"Come here enjoy your 2 weeks but bring a bullet proof vest or pick one up in duty free at the new airport when you arrive"

Tony - do you think i can get myself one of these bullet proof vests but with 'Beer Chang' on it?

"Come here enjoy your 2 weeks but bring a bullet proof vest or pick one up in duty free at the new airport when you arrive"

Tony - do you think i can get myself one of these bullet proof vests but with 'Beer Chang' on it?

"Only in Thailand"

Hi

Regards

Mugwump

Hi Mugwump, you are from silly Suffolk like myself originally so you will possibly appreciate my comments more than most. After moving I travelled a lot with my work and finally "resettled " in London where I met my now Thai wife. However having lived in Thailand for 20 years now let me put things into more perspective. Whilst living in London for 7 years the amount of crime in areas such as Brixton and Stretham went into an increasing upward spiral. Daily ,black drug gangs would be fighting turf wars and unfortunately, innocent bystanders were often caught up in it. The Met police appeared to be either disinterested in stamping it out or else were otherwise commited elsewhere to make any significant differance. This crime was one of many reasons we decided to live in Thailand all those years ago. Looking at the news and on frequent return visits nothing has changed, quite the contrary.

Now here in Thailand Pattaya is often decried, I do not like the place, never have never will because to me it reminds me of the alchohol fuelled destinations like Benidorm etc in the early 1960's and consequently it appears to attract most of the dross that visit Thailand. To balance that I must say that the dross is in the minority, but like Spain was , it gets the majority of the adverse publicity. Now to conclude my ramblings although there is a bad element there, visitors and locals alike, compared with many UK cities, you should enjoy your stay and no harm will come your way and you will still enjoy every minute of your stay, but like anywhere in the world you obviously need to be aware of your surroundings. As for investment, why not ? You will get the dejectors to say don't bother as you are a Farang etc etc but then what a pity those self same experts where not on hand to advice many investors in Spain 30 years ago as they look like losing their property, and that is the EU !

As for 10k it's not a lot of many but not sure if or what you could buy for that in Pattaya but even 20k is not a lot and for 1.4 million Baht I suspect you could buy a suitable studio to meet your needs. Lets face it you could buy a 20 K car tomorrow and in 2 years it will only be worth 10 in the UK if you are lucky. Also by virtue of reading TV you will see that there is a lot of concern about the authorities making it difficult to live here. Well follow the correct channels and it is not difficult at all and the big big advantage of that policy is you do not yet get the problems that you are seeing in the UK with an uncontrolled immigration policy as you have illiustrated. Best of luck too you.

I usually advise my friends to get a hotel room for 3 days, to give them a chance to look around and decide what area they'd like to be in. Then start looking for an apartment.

There are many to be had, depending on where you'd like to be, or how far you are willing to travel. I have friends that stay in nice places along # 3 road for 6-8,000 per month. Other places along Central Pattaya road can be had for 8-10,000 per month.

It also depends if you want a standard apartment, a serviced apartment, if utilities are included and so on.

As for the crime. Well, we've been over that time and time again in this forum. Truth is, most Western Cities are far more dangerous. Problem is, people come here and seem to forget their common sense (minus the idiots that just like to flaunt their wealth in the face of much poorer people).

Reality is, if people wandered around the downtown cores of their major cities late at night, flashing expensive jewellery and money around, and treating the local denizens like crap, then they would very likely be victims of crime as well. For some reason, those same people come to Thailand and seem to think they should be immune from crime (because they are white and richer than the locals ?). Boggles the mind at times.

I must just hang out with the wrong crowd, on the wrong nights, in the wrong parts of town. Because I often go partying until the wee hours of the morning, stagger home at sunrise, sleep the day away and do it all again. Yet I've never been mugged, attacked, hassled, robbed, drugged, or even threatened.

Maybe they actually believe me when I tell them I'm so poor, I can't afford to pay attention ? :o

ok, time for an actual response to the OP versus a poke at the some of the responses.

i lived in pattaya between 1980 and 1991, marrying, buying house(s), setting up a company, separating, selling house(s) and ultimately divorcing. all the time i had no problems with health, security or random crime. it was a great time and my residence only ended with a work promotion that required relocation to another country.

now self-employed, i have returned to pattaya, this time renting everything. a lot of my mates are still here and the cost of living still amenable. the place is bigger and noisier but well served for the expat, still very pleasant and IMHO it has not lost any of whatever it was that first attracted me here, climate, food, peace and quiet... and mostly charming people.

i think you should consider a 1-year 'evaluation' as the place can vary wildly between seasons and locations. it will give you a better idea if what you want for your family is here, just a few kilometers down the road or in another province. get out and about, mix with forum members at the regular get-togethers and weigh the pro's and con's after talking with them. opinions posted are just that, opinions and meeting face-to-face and getting a feel for the opinion and reasons behind them will help sort out the bashers v. the rose-tinted glasses.

good luck!

Does that mean the fat lady is singing? :o

(Sorry, I'm just in that mood where I couldn't resist.)

Does that mean the fat lady is singing? :o

(Sorry, I'm just in that mood where I couldn't resist.)

Could be Wpcoe ! :D

But most likely my auto spell check having it's head! :D

Trust me , I need it .

Edited by swanks

Appreciate the comments

banqkapiboy - RE View Talay 5. Is that on Dongtang (sp) beach and isn't that a gay beach?

barryofthailand - Thanks for bringing the thread to life again.

Pattayatony - If you think Pattaya is that bad and you continue to live there then you must be on some very serious kind of medication

I think I know where The View Talays are, near KFC on Jomtiem beach (where the road bends)? I stayed in Jomtiem once before and although it is nicer than Pattaya I agree that it isn't as handy (as people have rightly suggested) as staying in Pattaya.

So; It looks like View Talay 5 Condo or The Woodlands resort (I like the North Pattaya area).

Unless anyone has a brainwave (or penthouse to rent)

Best regards one and all

Mugwump

banqkapiboy - RE View Talay 5. Is that on Dongtang (sp) beach and isn't that a gay beach

The "gay beach" is just one section of Dongtan Beach. There's also the Russian section. :o

Seriously, the beach has probably as big a non-gay section as gay.

And, to keep you up with the times, the KFC closed a few months ago, being taken over by the restaurant next door whose name escapes me.

View Talay 5 and its beach is not "gay" -- not that there is anything wrong with that. As "wpcoe" described it well -- there is a gay beach section to it -- but non gays enjoy that section as well, as do I.

Edited by bangkapiboy

And, to keep you up with the times, the KFC closed a few months ago, being taken over by the restaurant next door whose name escapes me.

I was surprised to see the KFC closed. I used to stop in there whenever I was on my way to that bookstore just around the corner from the Family Mart.

Nice enough restaurant though. Went once at the end of January with the latest "soon to be ex" g/f and one of her friends. We kind of over did it with the food orders (the girls order a pile of stuff. I wasn't paying attention and also ordered a pile of food. Ended up with about 10 different dishes in total. We had to drag a 2nd table over to handle it all). The total bill (including drinks) came to about 1,600 baht. Wasn't too impressed with the Baked Sea Bass with Pineapple, but then again, I'm not a big fish fan to begin with.

I will probably go there again when I get back. We had sat on the top floor and had a nice view of the street and beach. The food was good (aside from that one fish) and considering how much we had, I don't think the prices were unreasonable.

Okey Dokey

Need to sort something out now as have to go to China for a couple of weeks before Pattaya.

I have narrowed my options down. Any persons views on the following options will be appreciated.

Woodlands resort - 34'500 for two weeks

CHATEAU DALE condominium - 1 bedroomed apartment 39,000 baht for two weeks

Achawalai Residence - Premier suite - 2 bedroomed (dont need 2 beds but looks nice) 43,000 Baht for two weeks

View Talay Jomtien Project 5 condominium - Studio - 15'000 baht for two weeks

Rabbit resort 37'000 baht two weeks

Thanks in advance

Mugwump