Ventilation

FaFaHead

Hello all,

W are going to be moving to Chiang Mai in November from the states. It just occurred to me that I have never seen a vent stack in any Thai house that I have looked at online. That means all drains gave to be covered to eliminate foul odors, correct?

Also, where does waste water go...to a septic system?

Thanks!

All toilets have a built in P-Trap, to stop sewer gas from rising out of the bowl.

Countryside - some use septic, but most just use a black water tank, which drains into the sand below it. Fills up - Vac truck arrives and slurps it up. Where it goes from there - anyones guess.

Town and city dwellers have a dedicated sewer pipe system, but many have no treatment plant at the end. Like many cities worldwide. EG - Victoria, BC uses a large diameter pipe laid on the floor or the ocean. Flush, and this is where it ends up.

6 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Town and city dwellers have a dedicated sewer pipe system, but many have no treatment plant at the end. Like many cities worldwide. EG - Victoria, BC uses a large diameter pipe laid on the floor or the ocean. Flush, and this is where it ends up.

What Thai towns and cities have such a system?  I lived several places in the city of CM and neither place had a sewer connection.

UK Building Regulations 2010 ( Drainage and waste disposal ) state that any soil pipe vent within 3m of a window must must terminate at least 900mm above the eaves.

In Thailand they quite often get around this problem by not venting the soil stack at all.

I moved into a new apartment about 4 years ago and found they had adopted this solution. It took me three weeks of explaining to the building owner and his architect/builders what a vent stack was and why it was required. Needless to say that WCs were were subject to syphonage throughout this time and there were quite a few complaints!!

After a couple of TT (Typical Thai) attempts to retro fit venting they solved the problem, but basically they have no concept of the requirement or the reason behind it, just as they don't colour code electrical wires half the time, or earth systems.

All part of the joys of living in the LOS!!

If you don't like it..............on yer bike!

Prior to building we rented a ~ 5 y/o single level house with 2 WC's running to a septic tank.  1st big rains of the wet season and we had both WC's burping during the night.  Needless to say the foul sulphurous odour was beyond a joke.

Investigating the plumbing I established there was a vent from septic tank to rear hedge ... blocked with ants nest!  Further, the overflow ran to the street storm water drain and that drain had been overflowing during the heavy downpour.  There was NO vent between toilet and septic tank.

We had one installed on the back wall and problem was fixed although the plumber had no concept of what my pipe was supposed to do.

On 8/3/2018 at 2:52 PM, Dante99 said:

What Thai towns and cities have such a system?  I lived several places in the city of CM and neither place had a sewer connection.

Chiang mai has a city sewage dump called the Ping River.

Bangkok has a similar one called the Chao Phraya

I lived and breathed the UK building regs all my working life they were there for only one purpose.....for the health and safety of the building occupants, no other reason.

So a quick glance around here on any building site and you can see that h+s is unregulated, so there are no rules to follow.

Everything that is done has been done by trial and error and error and error and the saddest thing is that the locals will not listen or heed advice especially from farangs.

I have only noticed one major move forward in Thai construction in the last 5yrs and that is the move into QCon block construction and away from red brick. The baht has finally dropped that these blocks are savi g everyone time and money.

Vent stacks so easy to create but the edu cation about siphonage and vacuums will never be passed on because there are no construction colleges here, it has to wait until architect somchai and engineer Thong has completed his overseas degree.

11 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Condos usually have a dedicated treatment plant. Villages rely on septic tanks. Some villagers breed frogs in the septic overflow for protein. No, I haven't tried one.

Actually not, a condo or a hotel complex will simply have a series of smaller domestic septics in line or a larger klargester type "submarine".... they all "should" end up in a leachfield herringbone arrangement and soaking away.

• 1 month later...

Our house design had no vent stacks. I had them added but not through the roof as I did not trust the builder to seal the holes well. I had them put 5 cm blue pipe vent stacks with an elbow right at the eave level and then they extend out from the house past the eaves about 15 cm. I had wire mesh put over the ends and the blue pipe painted the same color as the house trim. Seems to work.

Note that in the US the main vent stacks in houses also act as the vents for the sewers. So here as I only have septic tanks I figured 5 cm vent stacks would suffice.

I also added an extra trap to each bathroom so that when any of the shower or floor traps dry up we will still have a working trap.