Receiving Mail

FaFaHead

I think it depends on where you live.  The Mae Rim post office is notoriously bad.  When a friend was sick, 20 friends must have sent letters or postcards.  They got one.  I just got a new debit card in the mail.  The pin number was mailed separately, but never arrived.  I had the bank resend it EMS and for a first time ever, the EMS never arrived.  I have witnessed what goes on in the back at that post office.  They literally sort packages by throwing them into different corners of the room.  I've lived in Thailand for almost 30 years and never had a problem until I moved to our current house.

Edited by luther

I am very satisfied with Thai post,at New year I give the postman

a card with a tip,and he looks after us very well,if he has a registered

parcel ,letter,and we are not at home,he will phone and say he has

left it with the guard,saving us quite a drive to the main post office

to collect the parcel.

2 weeks ago my daughter sent me a parcel from the U.K.,she could 

not see any movement on the tracking,so contacted Royal Mail,who

told her it was on the border,which border she asked, France ! and

it's been there for nearly 2 weeks,file for compensation if it does

not arrive by 11th August,so if you have a missing parcel/letter,

it might not be Thai Posts fault.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

8 hours ago, worgeordie said:

to collect the parcel.

regards worgeordie

Thanks for the info. 

8 hours ago, worgeordie said:

to collect the parcel.

regards worgeordie

That’s encouraging...thanks!

13 hours ago, luther said:

I think it depends on where you live.  The Mae Rim post office is notoriously bad.  When a friend was sick, 20 friends must have sent letters or postcards.  They got one.  I just got a new debit card in the mail.  The pin number was mailed separately, but never arrived.  I had the bank resend it EMS and for a first time ever, the EMS never arrived.  I have witnessed what goes on in the back at that post office.  They literally sort packages by throwing them into different corners of the room.  I've lived in Thailand for almost 30 years and never had a problem until I moved to our current house.

?

8 hours ago, FaFaHead said:

?

I worked as a contractor for the USPS for a few years during the Christmas holidays and this is basically how they sorted priority mail packages -- they'd were dumped onto a conveyor, we'd pick them up, turn around and toss them into the appropriate big bin.  Forget about reading "this side up" or "fragile glass", we were told by the postal service supervisors, if it was that important they should have used FedEx, we were told.

I've found the Thai Post to be every bit as reliable as the USPS, maybe more so.  There may be problems with what happens after the mail is delivered.  For a time, we lived in a condo building where the sole office worker never seemed to get around to sorting residents' mail and putting into their mailboxes.  Instead, she'd spread it out on a big table and let everyone look through the big pile trying to find their stuff.  Of course, another resident could help themselves to your mail, especially if looked like something good, such as a new credit card.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

I worked as a contractor for the USPS for a few years during the Christmas holidays and this is basically how they sorted priority mail packages -- they'd were dumped onto a conveyor, we'd pick them up, turn around and toss them into the appropriate big bin.  Forget about reading "this side up" or "fragile glass", we were told by the postal service supervisors, if it was that important they should have used FedEx, we were told.

I've found the Thai Post to be every bit as reliable as the USPS, maybe more so.  There may be problems with what happens after the mail is delivered.  For a time, we lived in a condo building where the sole office worker never seemed to get around to sorting residents' mail and putting into their mailboxes.  Instead, she'd spread it out on a big table and let everyone look through the big pile trying to find their stuff.  Of course, another resident could help themselves to your mail, especially if looked like something good, such as a new credit card.

That's encouraging...

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/10/2018 at 5:07 PM, beau thai said:

Letters from Uk to Nong Hoi correctly addressed NEVER arrive. Birthday cards credit cards all gone astray. yet lazada or alibaba no problem. A rogue somewhere.....

This suggests the "rogue" might be in the UK.  I've had mail from the U.S. bounce around the U.S. for a time because someone there didn't address it properly and it went to the U.S. zip code of 50300 because someone didn't put THAILAND in the address, just Chiang Mai on the final line.  (Incidentally 50300 doesn't exist in the U.S., but there are zip codes close to that number and they are around Des Moines, Iowa, so the mail gets sent there until someone in the U.S. post office looks up Chiang Mai and realizes it's in Thailand)

Also, I've had people in the U.S. try to send me mail without enough postage for an overseas mailing.  For important stuff like registering to vote.

If you are a U.S. military retiree or have a 100% U.S. military VA disability, you can sign up to get your letters mailed to you at the U.S. Consulate in Chiang Mai.  Postage rates will be the same as if the letter was being sent somewhere in the U.S., no extra overseas postage needed.  There are limitations to weight and size of letters that can be sent to you.  If you meet the above requirements and want more details, PM me. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BarnicaleBob said:

If you are a U.S. military retiree or have a 100% U.S. military VA disability, you can sign up to get your letters mailed to you at the U.S. Consulate in Chiang Mai.  Postage rates will be the same as if the letter was being sent somewhere in the U.S., no extra overseas postage needed.  There are limitations to weight and size of letters that can be sent to you.  If you meet the above requirements and want more details, PM me. 

Hey Bob! Good info. Just wanna clarify, just retired or 100% Disability, huh? Doesn’t apply to in country Veteran’s per se?

Areas vary. I have found over the years that it isnt the actual post office that was the problem it was the Postman. Living in a rural area sometimes he wouldnt come until he had a fill load for the village. Properties scattered everywhere with no logical sequence must be a nightmare to find addresses. I reverted to renting a PO Box at the local office (500baht yr) and never lost or missed a delivery again from that day to this. ?

33 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Areas vary. I have found over the years that it isnt the actual post office that was the problem it was the Postman. Living in a rural area sometimes he wouldnt come until he had a fill load for the village. Properties scattered everywhere with no logical sequence must be a nightmare to find addresses. I reverted to renting a PO Box at the local office (500baht yr) and never lost or missed a delivery again from that day to this. ?

Sounds like that may be the way to go...

18 hours ago, FaFaHead said:

Hey Bob! Good info. Just wanna clarify, just retired or 100% Disability, huh? Doesn’t apply to in country Veteran’s per se?

The key word was MILITARY retired (20 or more years of service)

or Veteran's Administration has declared you 100% disabled from incidents that occurred to you while serving in the U.S. military. 

Edited by BarnicaleBob

4 hours ago, BarnicaleBob said:

The key word was MILITARY retired (20 or more years of service)

or Veteran's Administration has declared you 100% disabled from incidents that occurred to you while serving in the U.S. military. 

Well, thanks for that Bob...

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:02 PM, CharlieH said:

Same for me no mail gone missing since I took PO box also

• Like 1