Activity in the Middle of a Lake.

NoshowJones

Cycling past a lake regularly, I sometimes see this movement, I will try and describe it as best I can.

The water all over the lake is very still, there is a circle around the middle of the lake about 8 Mts in diameter.

There are lots of ripples and movement inside that circle, and around the circumference  there are quick

flashes going round and round. Anyone know what it is?

Just returned from another fishing trip to Khao Laem and I witnessed many times schools of Hampala Barb (locally known as Kasoob) attacking bait fish on the surface. The entire frenzy lasts less than a minute and if you're within casting range you're almost assured of a hookup.

I am keen to know whereabouts your lake is.

2 hours ago, jack2964 said:

Just returned from another fishing trip to Khao Laem and I witnessed many times schools of Hampala Barb (locally known as Kasoob) attacking bait fish on the surface. The entire frenzy lasts less than a minute and if you're within casting range you're almost assured of a hookup.

I am keen to know whereabouts your lake is.

It is a pond on the outskirts of my village, I never see anyone fishing there, though it is regular to see

fish jumping, and also dead fish.

If it is just a 'pond' without mountain streams feeding into it then I doubt it would support Kasoob as they require fairly good quality water to thrive.  But your account does seem to suggest bait fish being preyed upon.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2018 at 1:51 PM, possum1931 said:

It is a pond on the outskirts of my village, I never see anyone fishing there, though it is regular to see

fish jumping, and also dead fish.

If theres noone fishing there then it might be a no fishing pond on private property. The owner is probably a very religious Buddhist person (not gonna get into that). 

But as Jack above said, its unlikely to be Krasoob/Hampala Barb as isolated ponds cant support that, so the best possibility is probably snakeheads. 

1 minute ago, HoudiniXLogic said:

If theres noone fishing there then it might be a no fishing pond on private property. The owner is probably a very religious Buddhist person (not gonna get into that). 

But as Jack above said, its unlikely to be Krasoob/Hampala Barb as isolated ponds cant support that, so the best possibility is probably snakeheads. 

No, it is not on private property, it is in the middle of a public park and surrounded by exercise machines.

The pond is about 150 mts long and about 50 mts wide.

Archived