Flying out of Thailand with my 16 year daughter

Hi all,

I am flying out of Thailand with my 16 years old Thai/Danish daughter next week.

Her Thai mother have guardianship of her since we divorced over 10 years ago.

Since we are flying to Denmark for her attending a 1 year boarding school in DK I wonder if we can expect problems in the airport?

She have dual passports so entering DK will not be a problem but how about Thailand?

I will assume she will show both passports to immigration when leaving Thailand?

Thanks for any inputs.

If your wife has guardianship you will need a letter from your ex saying that she allows it but I've taken my son out a couple of times who is the same age and they never asked for anything. 

I hope you are on good terms with your ex. 

• Like 1

Just now, guzzi850m2 said:

I am not worried about showing both passports in DK since they allows dual citizenship.

You shouldn't need to, certainly don't unless you are specifically asked.

I have taken my son out of Thailand to my home country he is the same age ie 16 but looks 19 . However the advice previously was correct .. Thai Immigration are only interested in an up to date Thai passport. The airline should be ok with the Thai passport but have the Danish ready. I have sole custody of my son so I took along the court papers confirming this  just in case. Indeed I went one step further and suggested the first time that the mother might like to come along to say good bye to her son that is to be sure to be sure. She was not called upon. One important point here is that Emirates are the most likely airline to cause problems and will not accept certain emergency passports. As it happened my son's Thai passport even though it stated he was at the time just15 caused no problems at Thai immigration they never queried his age or status. Be prepared for all eventualities but most importantly make sure the mother is ok with it or you could be in trouble. I would expect a stamped approval statement and a copy of her ID might be an idea.

Edited by Nip
spell

My experience :   

- the airline wants only to be sure the passenger can enter the country of destination, so show the (not expired)  Danish passport at the check-in desk

- at Suvarnabhimi the immigration desk for leaving Thai people will only check the Thai passport, indeed they are not supposed to know about the double nationality of the passenger

This link from the South African Immigration is quite good in showing what you might need when travelling with kids. Both me and my wife have been questioned when travelling alone with one of our kids. https://www.nwivisas.com/nwi-blog/south-africa/new-immigration-regulations-for-parents-travelling-with-kids/

Regarding passports you show both at check-in but only the Thai one when passing the Immigration at Suvarnabhumi and then the Danish one at Kastrup.

9 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

OK thanks for that Grossy,

I am not worried about showing both passports in DK since they allows dual citizenship.

The correct and least hassle procedure is to check-in to airline with the destination passport, then out through immigration with the passport of the country you are leaving and then into the country of your arrival with that countries passport. This method, even in countries that allow duel nationality invoked the least issues. So when leaving Thailand, check her on the flight with Danish, show Thai through immigration exit, then Danish once you land, or any plane changes in between. It is best not to flaunt 2 passports even in countries that allow duel nationality.

As she is over 16 years old you should be okay without an authority letter from her mother, it certainly will help if you both have the same surname (ie she has your surname). If she doesn't have your surname I would type up a quick letter in Danish and Thai, that says I, (insert mother's name) have given my full permission for my daughter (insert name) to travel with her father (insert your name) to attend school etc. and get her mother to date and sign it and also have her phone number on it. It will certainly do no harm to also have a copy of the mother's ID card, and as I am sure your daughter can speak perfect Thai she will be able to explain that you aren't abducting her.

My half Thai daughter attends English schooling (I wouldn't have it any other way) and we use the passport process as I described and both carry authority letters (as she is 11). To help her when she arrives in your homeland, locate your nearest Thai food shop and establish a relationship with them and see if they have sons or daughters too, this will get her invites to eat Thai food and other Thais to chat too. Good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for the good answers and tips, much appreciated.

Forgot to add, we are flying with Swiss air to Zurich and then straight on to Denmark.

Just a travel tip; Copenhagen is crazy expensive for hotel so booked a room via Airbnb so I can show her Copenhagen before we visit some family.

Edited by guzzi850m2

11 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I will assume she will show both passports to immigration when leaving Thailand?

No, you shall only show the Thai passport when leaving the Kingdom.

Is the family name the same as yours..?

If same family name and a daughter of that age, you'll probably not be asked any questions – I did a trip to Denmark earlier this year with my dual nationality 12-year old daughter, same family name, without any questions asked. We also traveled abroad together when she was 10-year, without any questions in Thai Immigration.

But in theory you can be asked questions, especially if different family names, but probably only when travelling with a small child.

If possible, you could have a letter issued by the Amphor – same office as issuing ID-cards – where your daughter is registered with permanent address, stating that her mother/guardian gives permission. It's a standard letter, but both your daughter and her mother need to be present, and bring signed copies of ID-cards, and a signed copy of your passport, as the letter will give you the permission. Best to check with the local Amphor-office in advance exactly what the wish of documentation. I had such a letter made, just in case, but didn't need to use.

Upon check-in you shall show the Danish passport to prove that no visa is needed. Only if the check-in staff asks about Thai entry stamp, you shall show the Thai passport, as your daughter shall be registered as a Danish citizen in the flight manifest. Also at boarding you shall show the Danish passport, i.e. same as checked in with.

When entering passport control in Copenhagen you shall only show the Danish passport, and use the lane for Danish and/or EU-citizens; however, if you need an entry stamp in the Danish passport – which might be useful to prove later that your daughter has been in Denmark, when re-applying for citizenship before age 20 – you'll need to use the entry-line for foreigners, as the Danish/EU-line won't stamp a passport (they presumably don't have a stamp).

Wish your daughter and you a good trip.

?

• Like 1

Many thanks khunPer

Yes she got same family name as me.

I will likely go with her to the Thai national line at immigration.

I doubt we have any time getting any papers filled in at the Amphor but I asked her mum to make a copy of her Thai ID card and write on it that she allows her daughter going to DK for 1 year boarding school and we will bring a copy of her birth certificate as well. 

So regarding the stamp, she has to go to the foreigner line at danish immigration but still only show the danish passport. Yes we are working towards at securing her a Danish citizenship beyond her turning 20, or is it 22? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I doubt we have any time getting any papers filled in at the Amphor but I asked her mum to make a copy of her Thai ID card and write on it that she allows her daughter going to DK for 1 year boarding school and we will bring a copy of her birth certificate as well.

That might do in case of any questions, preferably place a phone number as well, just in case.

24 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

So regarding the stamp, she has to go to the foreigner line at danish immigration but still only show the danish passport. Yes we are working towards at securing her a Danish citizenship beyond her turning 20, or is it 22? 

Yes, you shall only show the Danish passport. I think the application for citizenship shall be before 20th year, but I'm not up-to-date, as it's some years ahead in my case, and the law might be changed.

I'm also considering a Danish boarding school a year at some point in the future, and began to look for possibilities; may I kindly ask you which one you have chosen..?

• Like 1

https://www.theinternational.dk/

This one is an international one, I think that is the best solution for her.

Staff very nice on the Skype meetings we had, they even organized 2 Thai students walking us visually around the school, online on a tablet and my daughter could ask the girls questions in Thai.

The government will pay app 1/2 of the fees depending on the income of the guardian, but the school trip to California & Hawaii is out of my own pocket (100k baht) but what the hell, only have one daughter. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

This one is an international one, I think that is the best solution for her...

Many thanks, that also one on my list of interest, when my daughter could is about 16 years old; my list however only have a few possibilities, so therefore I was interested if I missed something...?

• Like 1

Thought I give an update on getting out of Thailand with my daughter.

No problems at all, now they have self service for Thais so they just scan their passports and that's that, nobody asked any questions.

• Thanks 1