Motorcycle Hire Bangkok

philcon

Hi,  I will be staying in Bangkok for six weeks. I was looking for any info on the best

place to hire a Honda Click. I will be staying in the Thonglor area. I have hired previously in Chaing Mai.

I never leave my passport as deposit.

Thanks for any comment.

Cheers

27 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Make sure you have a proper helmet (and not some plastic Chinese crap they would give you), and make sure you have full accident insurance coverage.

Be Safe.

Thanks, any idea where I can hire the bike ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Bangkok Scooter rental in Phrakhanong. Say NSR Mike sent you.

Perfect really appreciate this, I will be looking for a condo in Thonglor area, so the bike will be handier than taxi.

Cheers

9 hours ago, shadowofacloud said:

I usually rent from Fatboy's motorcycle rentals in Ekkamai (Soi 65).

They have another shop in On Nut, but that's a bit farther down the road.

https://www.facebook.com/Fatboysmotorbikerentals/

Thanks Ive just checked them out, they also assist with a Thai license. I have an international licence but I will be aiming to get

a Thai licence also. Thanks

3 minutes ago, philcon said:

Thanks Ive just checked them out, they also assist with a Thai license. I have an international licence but I will be aiming to get

a Thai licence also. Thanks

You are welcome.

You may want to see if these guys have better rates for getting a local DL: https://www.facebook.com/aeromotocyc/

I've dealt with them last year - got a license in a week or so, quite dependable, if a little bit chaotic (but that's the local spirit.)

• Thanks 1

How do these driving license agents work? You pay them money and give them a few pictures and copies and then after a few days you get your license or do you still have a run arround and they just hold your hand?

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

How do these driving license agents work? You pay them money and give them a few pictures and copies and then after a few days you get your license or do you still have a run arround and they just hold your hand?

Yeah, they basically hold your hand and push you in the right direction.

They handle the paperwork and - since they have contacts at the Bang Chak DLT - your application miraculously gets processed in a few days instead of 6 weeks or so. They can also provide a seaworthy vehicle if you currently don't have your own. E.g. motorcycles for rent at the DLT are, well, a bit past their prime.

They will also assist with test and exam preparation and handle any hurdles you may encounter during the process. But you need to pass the exams, submit the right documents etc.

It just saves a lot of hassle, but it's nothing you can't do on your own, given some time and patience.

[edit] Speaking from my own, singular, experience. There may be other, less legal, avenues, but I've got no experience with these.

Edited by shadowofacloud
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, shadowofacloud said:

They handle the paperwork and - since they have contacts at the Bang Chak DLT - your application miraculously gets processed in a few days instead of 6 weeks or so. They can also provide a seaworthy vehicle if you currently don't have your own. E.g. motorcycles for rent at the DLT are, well, a bit past their prime.

They will also assist with test and exam preparation and handle any hurdles you may encounter during the process. But you need to pass the exams, submit the right documents etc.

It just saves a lot of hassle, but it's nothing you can't do on your own, given some time and patience.

[edit] Speaking from my own, singular, experience. There may be other, less legal, avenues, but I've got no experience with these.

Thanks, I'm not interested in doing anything less legal but I don't mind tipping some one for handling all the paper work. 

On 8/7/2018 at 11:28 AM, philcon said:

Thanks, I'm not interested in doing anything less legal but I don't mind tipping some one for handling all the paper work. 

There is not much paperwork involved, see my report from Udon Thani here:

In Bangkok you have longer queues, and somebody wrote before that you have to wait a few weeks until you get your driving license, if this is worth several thousand baht?

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/6/2018 at 6:13 PM, shadowofacloud said:

Your Motorbike license [Miraculously gets processed in a few days instead of 6 weeks or so] ????....

For those who do this themselves, their license is miraculously issued the same day !!!!

As the Op has his IDP / Licence he won't need to sit any exams (maybe just the eye & reaction tests and watch a video)

It really is something very easily done on your own, obtaining your Thai Drivers / Riding license is one of the simplest things you can do in the realm of Thai officialdom... I'm not even sure how much hassle the agents can save unless they are permitted to queue jump - in which case they could save you a few hours. 

------

Op: You have your International Driving Permit...  So all you need are:

1) Home Driving Licence (+IDP) (+photocopies)

2) Medical Certification (from any clinic - 200 to 300 baht 

3) Affirmation of Address

4) Passport (photo copies of ID and Visa Page)

Edited by richard_smith237

Fatboys only have a relatively small selection. I would like to recommend http://www.emmamotorbikes.com/

It's a bit harder to find than Fatboys, but the owners (Emma) and her husband who is a farang are very nice and they have a massive lot of motorbikes we're talking over 100 odd to choose from. Renting daily is expensive, but if you rent for a month i recall it was 3k for a aerox 155 for 1 month, this was nearly over 1 year ago now and made me go buy an new aerox 155 from yahama when I finished renting with them, good scooter for getting around the city in and can get through the traffic. The price could be more now, they have a LINE and facebook just tell them the bike you want and they will tell you price. Big bikes you won't be able to fit into most lane splitting situations and willl have to remain stationary in greater bangok area.

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:46 PM, shadowofacloud said:

You are welcome.

You may want to see if these guys have better rates for getting a local DL: https://www.facebook.com/aeromotocyc/

I've dealt with them last year - got a license in a week or so, quite dependable, if a little bit chaotic (but that's the local spirit.)

How come it took a week or so to get a Thai licence with them when Fatboy's service get's it the same day?

By the way, great link, very useful.

Edited by Just Weird

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:13 PM, shadowofacloud said:

"...your application miraculously gets processed in a few days instead of 6 weeks or so".

What?  Where and why, in your own singular experience does it take "6 weeks or so to get a driving licence"?