owning a condo. need to pay annual tax?

Hi, I bought a condo (25 year old building) in Central Bangkok about 2 years ago.. and living in it.

Do I have to pay annual tax for this condo? if yes? how?

This is my first condo.. and I live in it. I have thai work permit and am a foreigner. and I pay monthly maintenance fee to the juristic office.

Thanks

Edited by ihightower

No tax at the moment, but if they eventually pass the land and tax bill there will be an annual property tax based on assessed value. I am sure there are a number of heavy hitters working behind the scenes to prevent it being passed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, meinphuket said:

Provided you do not rent it out, and is owner occupied you are not liable for any taxes.

And even if he decides to rent he would be crazy to pay any tax !

On 8/6/2018 at 1:45 PM, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Don’t think there is any property tax at all.

They – the government – talked about it, and some suggestions with percentages, and only tax for one's primary home, were up in the media, but then it became very quiet...?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, medic5678 said:

Mind if I ask how much maintenance fees, monthly costs, value of condo?   Thanks.

Common Area maintenance fees probably span from 10 baht sqm per month up to about 180 baht sqm per month.

Insurance cost circa 1,000- 1,500 baht per month

AC maintenance contract about 2,000 per month depending on how many units you have and frequency of cleaning, fluid replacement

Value of condo probably from 500,000 baht to 300-400 million.

Utilities up to how much you use.

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

Insurance cost circa 1,000- 1,500 baht per month

AC maintenance contract about 2,000 per month depending on how many units you have and frequency of cleaning, fluid replacement

I pay 2,500B per year for my condo insurance. Cant really see the advantage in paying much more, unless perhaps one has huge quantities of gold bullion to consider.

Does anyone actually have a monthly maintenance contract here for air-cons? I just get mine cleaned two or three times a year for a cost of around 400B per clean. So about 1,000B a year. Apart from that, in the 6 years I have had it, I have not spent a single Baht on it, nor would I expect to. And it runs 24/7.

Fluid replacement? Never needed it. Fluid top-up? Never needed that either.

Had I been paying 2,000B/month since I bought the unit I would be well out of pocket by now. In fact if I put aside 2,000B every month then I could use it to buy a brand new replacement air-con every 20 months, including all installation costs. That would be much better value than paying for repairs on an old one.

Are you sure that you live in Thailand?

• Like 1

Must be some Confusion! 300-400 million somebody buying a whole building??

I would never pay for a maintenance contract for anything. Perhaps a leased price of capital equipment. Maybe if I leased an aircraft or its jet engines (I’m not that minted).

Condo fees here are very cheap comparatively. AC units only need occasional cleaning what can be done for a few hundred baht dependence on who you contact AC guys like fleecing Newbie Farangs. Should not ever need top up of refrigerants that would indicate leaks.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2018 at 2:30 PM, gaff said:

And even if he decides to rent he would be crazy to pay any tax !

no, it would be foolish not to pay....ever hear of TM30?  Could be used against you.  Interest and penalties are almost always worse than the original tax.

Edited by moontang
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I pay 2,500B per year for my condo insurance. Cant really see the advantage in paying much more, unless perhaps one has huge quantities of gold bullion to consider.

Does anyone actually have a monthly maintenance contract here for air-cons? I just get mine cleaned two or three times a year for a cost of around 400B per clean. So about 1,000B a year. Apart from that, in the 6 years I have had it, I have not spent a single Baht on it, nor would I expect to. And it runs 24/7.

Had I been paying 2,000B/month since I bought the unit I would be well out of pocket by now. In fact if I put aside 2,000B every month then I could use it to buy a brand new replacement air-con every 20 months, including all installation costs. That would be much better value than paying for repairs on an old one.

Topping up the gas is a Brit expression that makes me cringe, because it shows a complete lack of understanding.  It either leaks or it doesn't leak.  And there is likely a master policy on your building...but condo insurance is cheap....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, moontang said:

no, it would be foolish not to pay....ever hear of TM30?  Could be used against you.  Interest and penalties are almost always worse than the original tax.

yes it happens everyday that people are caught for not paying tax ! hahahaha....

I never paid and will never pay any, even on properties. Feed the idiots if you want, I won't.

People have been caught, and fined.  Why have a skeleton growing in the closet?  Some of the land offices are quite meticulous.  My seller refused to fudge the numbers one THB...a Thai man.  I had heard only the Japanese pay the full fare in CM.  Try abiding by the law; it might help your apparently low self esteem.

On 8/10/2018 at 3:25 PM, KittenKong said:

What are you insuring against? I thought fire was included in the annual fees but Im probably wrong

7 minutes ago, moontang said:

wait till you have to evict...

oh thats easy. Although juristic by law are not allowed to cut electricity they will cut water on request. I can call the electricity company myself and have it disconnected. Along with 2 months deposit in claw how long do you think they will stay? And yes i have done it to a filthy pig Kuwaiti (full ashtrays in every room of a non smoking lease) when I got sick of his lies. Walked right on in with my key and told him to pay rent or  he will live in darkness..Done deal !!

Edited by burningup

6 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Good for you. If a Kuwaiti smoked in my non smoking rental I would have gladly discounted the rent and come in with paid toughs from the local TukTuk rank toss him out for free!

He paid for a deep clean of all the air con units and a triple clean by maids from deposit money . Just a bit over 4k . lesson learned No Arabs at any price!

Edited by burningup

4 hours ago, burningup said:

What are you insuring against? I thought fire was included in the annual fees but Im probably wrong

Structural insurance is included in the common fees, and cover for damage caused by floods (for example) from common areas, but the internal finishing of your condo (built-in kitchens, tiles, ceilings), and all your furniture and personal items, are unlikely to be covered by the building insurance. That will depend on your individual building though so you should check with your front office.

• Like 1