...and The Arts

feolindo

I have been living/working here for almost 2 years. Love the city and the thai people. Much as I appreciate photography and talking with my photograher friends I thought maybe this forum could use a bit of balance toward the "arts" side of things so here's a link to my recent work. Since I don't use the net to sell work its one of those free geocities sites so you'll get ads down the side but they can be closed if you wish.

Enjoy

http://www.geocities.com/rcnms

feolindo,

yes, I agree!

Thanks for posting- i like your work.

I've been living and painting/illustrating here for 4.5 years, one thing I miss is mixing (no pun :D ) /hanging out with other artists- as I live far from the "city".

It’s been a good/weird experience as the local people i meet (i live in the country sticks, on a tourist island) dont really get their head around "art", until they saw there was some cash to be made from it.

If I can, I try to spend some time in Bali where there is a large expat/local art community, which I can feed off to a certain extent.

Are there any good Bangkok/Thailand (not to miss) art websites/links?

Anybody else out there.. ?

come on... dont by shy.

hellohello

:o

Edited by hellohello

feolindo,

yes, I agree!

I've been living and painting/illustrating here for 4.5 years, one thing I miss is mixing (no pun :D ) /hanging out with other artists- as I live far from the "city".

It’s been a good/weird experience as the local people i meet (i live in the country sticks, on a tourist island) dont really get their head around "art", until they saw there was some cash to be made from it.

If I can, I try to spend some time in Bali where there is a large expat/local art community, which I can feed off to a certain extent.

come on... dont by shy.

hellohello

Thanks for your comments. Is there a place I can see some of your work?

I don't know of any "not to miss" sites. Don't even know of any "you might wanna check it out if you're bored on a sunday afternoon" websites of Thai origin and art related. Doesn't mean they don't exist. It is strange being a western artist in thailand. If there's one thing I miss its the museums. i can't say how many times in the past i'd just hop into the car and go to the Met to recharge my batteries. Understandably no Met here. Little chance I'll be showing here either (at least for now) as the gallery owners I've tried to deal with have shown themselves to be a curious and slippery lot. Not that they're saints in the states but, "the devil you know etc..".

That said I love it here. The upside way outways the down and once in a while i run into someone I can talk art with which is always a great thing. If you are going to be in bkk sometime and would like to hook up send me a PM ahead of time and we'll have a coffee.

ciao

I like your work alot, reminds me of Balthus, something I would like to do photographically but seem to go off in other directions.

I have been living/working here for almost 2 years. Love the city and the thai people. Much as I appreciate photography and talking with my photograher friends I thought maybe this forum could use a bit of balance toward the "arts" side of things so here's a link to my recent work. Since I don't use the net to sell work its one of those free geocities sites so you'll get ads down the side but they can be closed if you wish.

Enjoy

feolindo,

yes, I agree!

come on... dont by shy.

hellohello

Hi, I have been painting out here in the sticks (Issan) for some years now, love it out here, the landscapes are wonderful and the Issan women so beautiful, I always think of them as being Gauganesque, if you know what I mean. Spend every day in my studio working ,something I could never do in the UK, too many distractions. Do not know how to post images on the web, sorry...

Enjoy

Like your work feolindo and the touch of Edward Hopper !

Why do you paint on small canvas ?; the largest is 60x80cms but most are 30x40 and 50x60cms; I ask this because you have experience with enormous murals in Las Vegas.

LaoPo

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoy

Like your work feolindo and the touch of Edward Hopper !

Why do you paint on small canvas ?; the largest is 60x80cms but most are 30x40 and 50x60cms; I ask this because you have experience with enormous murals in Las Vegas.

LaoPo

Hi,

thanks for taking the time to view some of my work. Hopper has been a huge influence on me no doubt about that. Someone in an earlier post mentioned Balthus too and I'd have to say that he has also been a very important artist to me. Though some of his work is enormous, the iconography is fearless and he never let more narrow minded people influence the direction of his work.

Myself, I paint on a small canvas most of the time for a number of reasons. Primarily because I want to promote the intimate relationship between viewer and work. When i go to a museum the works that leave the most lasting impression on me are the ones where i have to get up pretty close and study them. This means that while i'm looking at the piece I'm the ONLY one who is looking at the piece because i'm right up against it. For however brief a period of time its just me and Rembrandt (or me and whoever) connecting one to one across a span of hundreds of years. My relationship to the piece and by extension to the artist is one of a conversation. Whereas if I'm standing in front of a pollock with 200 other people my relationship to the work is not the same. It's less like a conversation and more like a lecture. There's little if any emotional connection and that, for me, is what its all about. A painting is like a venus flytrap. Pulls you and, if its done well, doesn't ever really let you go.

The Las Vegas work, while extremely gratifying, was a once in a lifetime thing. I saw it again in a TV program on the History channel here in bkk about 6 weeks ago. As proud as I am of my connection to such a work I don't have the same sense of investment in it that i do to some of my simplest, smallest pieces. Both because of the scale and because the imagery was not of my choosing.

take care,

feo

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoy

feolindo .. nice links, nice pics.. I know that takes a lot of skill, work, talent and inspiration. respekt.

hello to hellohello... Would any of you fellow artists be interested in catching up for a beer in BKK?? Im planning to be back in Krungthep in 3 weeks or so..hopefully for songkhran.

Ive seen a couple of other thai art sites such as -

artthailand, thavibu and rama9 I think its called.

As for me Ive lived in inexpensive bkk apartments while drawing fulltime, and I guess my art has a thai or at least asian flavour.

Ahh well, time to cough up the goods..

my work is here - http://www.zanderware.com

cheers, gord.

Very enjoyable thread and good to see the work on display via the links. Some very interesting stuff.

I hope the idea behind the intitial post is deveoped and more work and information on artists & contemporary art in the locale is posted here.

I will be moving to LOS in due course, and whilst not an artist (I was hoping to go on to art college in the UK, but was asked to leave school before that happened), I was worried, with the exception of Thai artists, that I might be venturing into a culteral wateland as far as paint etc being placed on canvas was concerned.

I'm a regular visitor to Cornwall in the UK, where there is an extremely vibrant, if a little neglected, art scene (London hogs everything - lazy journalism), despite the Tate opening a gallery in St. Ives in the 90's, which has outstripped all expectations for the number of visitors, very much generating a "cultural tourism" boom which I happily admit to playing my part.

It would be nice to think that one of my pleasures - seeking out and visiting artists/galleries, and yes, buying - might not end when I finally make the move?

Enjoy

feolindo .. nice links, nice pics.. I know that takes a lot of skill, work, talent and inspiration. respekt.

hello to hellohello... Would any of you fellow artists be interested in catching up for a beer in BKK?? Im planning to be back in Krungthep in 3 weeks or so..hopefully for songkhran.

Ive seen a couple of other thai art sites such as -

artthailand, thavibu and rama9 I think its called.

As for me Ive lived in inexpensive bkk apartments while drawing fulltime, and I guess my art has a thai or at least asian flavour.

Ahh well, time to cough up the goods..

my work is here - http://www.zanderware.com

cheers, gord.

Thanks for the link Gord. I like what you're doing. Some really strong compositions. A kind of contemporary mannerism. I found myself thinking of Pontormo and Bronzino while looking at the figurative oils.

f