Nigerians, Thais arrested in online romance scam

webfact

Nigerians, Thais arrested in online romance scam

By Suriya Patathayo 
The Nation

ea3bb9c0665acf5b2d1d8924530e5ab3.jpeg

Eight Nigerian men and six Thai suspects have been arrested for alleged collusion in an online romance scam, swindling nearly Bt2 million from Thai women in Ratchaburi, Samut Sakhon, Phitsanulok, Chon Buri and Bangkok’s Dusit district.

Deputy Tourist Police chief Maj-General Surachate Hakpan told a press conference on Monday that the investigation began after complaints from victims – each of whom wired between Bt300,000 and Bt500,000 to the gang.

5aff735b5aa55dd7395c7ad7c881b23b.jpeg

He said that the Thai suspects – including at least four Thai women - aided the gang by opening bank accounts and withdrawing cash for the foreign suspects. 

Despite the Thai suspects’ claim of innocence, he said they would face a charge of public fraud and abetting trans-national crimes, which is punishable with up to 10 years imprisonment. 

f0092762a78751c5039692945275251e.jpeg

In an unrelated case, Surachate said that police were investigating loan sharks that preyed on some 100,000 villagers in the Northeast. By the end of this month, police should be able to return some 2,000 rai of farmland back to farmers that had been seized by loan sharks, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30351577

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-08-07

13 minutes ago, chopin2 said:

Why don't they just hit on some northern European woman, no need for any scam.

Yeah, I never got laid in my home country because of the women's fascination with greasy foreigners....

• Haha 2

Its always been a notion of mine that if these Nigerian scammers worldwide put as much time, effort and money into doing legitimate business they would be the most successful country in Africa. The things they dream up are amazing. Alas. Sadly not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Snow Leopard said:

Its always been a notion of mine that if these Nigerian scammers worldwide put as much time, effort and money into doing legitimate business they would be the most successful country in Africa. The things they dream up are amazing. Alas. Sadly not.

Actually, Nigerians are the most successful immigrant group in the US. They all get highly educated like doctors and professors and earn high salaries.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, AlQaholic said:

Actually, Nigerians are the most successful immigrant group in the US. They all get highly educated like doctors and professors and earn high salaries.

How did their parents get the money to send them there in the first place? Or is it all scholarships? 90% of Nigerians don't have a pot to piss in.

Please don't get me wrong i have worked in Nigeria. I have many Nigerians friends who i worked with along the way. Good people. The scammers are what give the county and its people a bad name. Other peoples from other African countries say this as well. 

12 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

..and then they go home, act all important, belittling their countrymen and in a strong position to start sucking from the national trough.

The only good things to come out of Nigeria are the flights and ..................................................................err........................that's about it!

I have lived there three times for work.  They are, generally a despicable, backward country of thieves, liars and crooks.

If I walked out of a shop and saw a Nigerian on fire, I would not piss on him to put him out.

Sure, I have a few Nigerian friends and some of the young technicians I have mentored have turned out pretty good but, overall, it's a complete sh1thole.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, saminoz said:

..and then they go home, act all important, belittling their countrymen and in a strong position to start sucking from the national trough.

The only good things to come out of Nigeria are the flights and ..................................................................err........................that's about it!

I have lived there three times for work.  They are, generally a despicable, backward country of thieves, liars and crooks.

If I walked out of a shop and saw a Nigerian on fire, I would not piss on him to put him out.

Sure, I have a few Nigerian friends and some of the young technicians I have mentored have turned out pretty good but, overall, it's a complete sh1thole.

Yeah, I know the feeling, I have the same feeling about Poland and Bulgaria, worked in both countries.

• Like 1