Millions of followers - farang in North Thailand a massive hit with the Thais

webfact

22 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

I can empathize with his plight of not being granted Thai citizenship.  He probably can't meet the ridiculous income requirement (proof of taxes paid on at least THB 80,000/mo of income for 3 years).  If he has community support, and is not a burden on the state, he seems like he would make a stand-up foreigner admitted as a citizen.  Thai bureaucracy is stuck in the 19th century.

He must therefore be on a Visa? If so what a drag he even has a Thai wife............................racism at work.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Farang Muang Phrae said:

You're correct, I was not born here; have only been here since I was 2 years old.  None-the-less I meet the qualifications for citizenship and should at least be given a fair chance.  

I think that you should reapply, it seems somewhat easier at present. I applied last year and although various things just had to be in order, the fact that I had been here for the majority of the last 30yrs seemed to make it a foregone conclusion with the interview committee. Now its all down in BKK, so just waiting to see what happens there.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Farang Muang Phrae said:

Thank you for being interested. I applied and was turned down ten years ago by the minister of interior.  One of the biggest reasons was because I didn't have a work permit, so they said.  As it turns out I not only had a work permit but I also met the other legal qualifications.  My position on the matter has remained the same:  Kindly correct the information and give me a chance based on the actual facts.  I think Thailand and I at least deserve that much.

Interesting, if I was you then I'd make my way to Bangkok and go to special branch and discuss with them, it may be possible to reapply, also you should check the thread that has been running for a long time here, it is a long thread, however it contains loads of useful info and there are some very knowledgeable posters who can offer some sound advice and guidance.

12 minutes ago, billd766 said:

How have you reached the conclusion that he is trying  to change the evil Thai Buddhist to follow their church business? In the 7 pages and 97 posts of the thread so far only you seem to have come to that conclusion. Perhaps IMHO it is you that is short of marbles.

Just out of interest how did you manage that?

Read it again. His parents. Looks like that hit you like a thorn! And I don't mean a crown. Missionaries trying....

8 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Read it again. His parents. Looks like that hit you like a thorn! And I don't mean a crown. Missionaries trying....

to be fair i am no fan of the nate fella but i actually think he did quite well rehashing crap from the west with a thai angle on it, the ant guy seems nice enough. read through the comments. i think his thai is probably better than his english, surely that deserves citizenship 555

23 hours ago, rumak said:

why does everyone have to be a Mate or a Dude ?     does that make the point any stronger ??

Note:   please spare me your temptations to answer    mates and dudes

Do your buddies know that? 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Farang Muang Phrae said:

Thank you for being interested. I applied and was turned down ten years ago by the minister of interior.  One of the biggest reasons was because I didn't have a work permit, so they said.  As it turns out I not only had a work permit but I also met the other legal qualifications.  My position on the matter has remained the same:  Kindly correct the information and give me a chance based on the actual facts.  I think Thailand and I at least deserve that much.

I think even when you'd have a work permit now, they'd find another reason to say no. Times have changed a lot, and not in favour of foreigners. Not even for those who grew up here. Sad, but true. 

7 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

I think even when you'd have a work permit now, they'd find another reason to say no. Times have changed a lot, and not in favour of foreigners. Not even for those who grew up here. Sad, but true. 

I'd disagree, right now there are citizenship applications being approved a lot quicker that was normal and since the change of law in 2008 , males can apply (non PR holders) if they are married to a Thai for more than 3 years and are working and paying income tax legally here for 3 years or more continuously with a lower income level than the PR route, as I said in a previous post, now is actually a good time to apply, before it goes back to the super slow way it was.

Edited by Mattd
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Farang Muang Phrae said:

Thank you for being interested. I applied and was turned down ten years ago by the minister of interior.  One of the biggest reasons was because I didn't have a work permit, so they said

Do you have PR status?

Reading between the lines and depending on when in 2008 you applied, then I'd guess that you did not meet the criteria at that time, as my post above, in 2008 the law was changed so that non PR holders who are male, are married to a Thai, are on a non immigrant entry, are holder of a work permit and are paying paid taxes for a minimum of 3 unbroken years, less period (1 year I think) with children within the marriage, can now apply for citizenship, they even get exempted from the Thai language ability / singing the anthem, which for you would not be an issue anyway.

The only clause is that ideally you need to continue unbroken work until the application is approved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

I read it again and you still didn't answer my question.

Were they permitted to do so by the government?

Did they succeed?

Are children automatically responsible for what their parents do?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, chatette said:

Frankly, assuming this guy at least graduated high school,  his dual language skills alone would easily enable him to get a job and salary of at least the minimum for the required period so as to qualify for Thai citizenship. It isn't a lot. 
As for the process, the cost is minimal and point based. It has nothing to do with race. 
There was a United Nations range of ethnicities represented when I attended my Interior Ministry interview years ago, and I assume most applicants qualified since that was the point of the interview.
By contrast, the non-refundable processing fee alone for a long-term Thai spouse to simply apply for Australian PR is in excess of A$6k, while the U.K. imposes an extremely high income requirement for non-citizens to live with their spouses on that wet little island.
No, it is not that hard to qualify or get Thai citizenship for most people who are determined to get it, unless they are born in Thailand to stateless parents and then it really sucks.

To get your wife to the uk. You have to be earning the equivalent of 65,000b for six months. As opposed to the 80,000 for a conservative 36 months. I know there are more cost’s upfront for a uk visa, but it is far easier to obtain.

1 hour ago, Farang Muang Phrae said:

No worries there, believe me.  

Don't you feel unwarranted, you were educated here clearly understand and respect Thai culture as you married a Thai but yet you cannot get citizenship. In all Western countries I think under the same circumstances you would have been granted citizenship. You still have to go through the hassle of work permits and visas which can be revoked at any time. Surely if you went to the USA you can relax on this matter with your wife. She eventually can get citizenship. 

On 8/7/2018 at 11:44 AM, NCC1701A said:

he's doomed. anytime a Farang makes the news about two weeks later there is a story about how that person's life is now ruined.

Anytime? Really??

On August 6, 2018 at 9:44 PM, NCC1701A said:

he's doomed. anytime a Farang makes the news about two weeks later there is a story about how that person's life is now ruined.

yep, would not push this issue publically if it were me, its so easy for things to get misinterpreted.

this is not a free country with equal rights.

Edited by Dick Crank

He appears to be a Thai wannabe, but no matter how long he`s lived in Thailand or how well he can speak, read and write in Thai, he`ll always be regarded as the novelty Farang by the Thais.

The reason this guy is a social media hit is not for his Thainess, but for his Farangness and these types that make the odd TV appearances are only given joke status by the Thais, similar to how gays are categorised in the soap operas.

One good reason I go along with Thai attitudes, but still maintain my identity as a British Farang.

Edited by cyberfarang

On 8/7/2018 at 12:05 PM, geriatrickid said:

Well said. Unfortunately, there are always some who believe that a country should throw open its doors to  those who live hand to mouth.

He's been here since primary school and is married with a Thai kid. By your standards most Thais in the country should be expelled. 

• Like 1