Restaurants In CM for Plant-based KETOGENIC dishes?

WaveHunter

I’m a Vegan visiting CM, renting a condo without kitchen so eating mostly at plant-based restaurants.  Decided I want to cut down on carbs (under 50g/day) and go ketogenic for a while.  

Problem is, most ketogenic dishes rely on animal based protein and fat (steak, eggs, etc), while most plant-based dishes are traditionally very high in carbs.

Just wondering if anyone has suggestions on plant-based restaurants that also have low-carb options...OR can suggest locally popular low carb dishes I can order that are plant-based.

At home, several plant-based restaurants were owned by Vegans who also had good nutritional knowledge and could easily cater to such requests; just hoping the same is true here in CM, and with whom I can communicate with (since I don’t speak Thai).

I’m living near Maya Mall so looking mainly around there and Suthep.  Any constructive info would be appreciated.  Thanks:)

Edited by WaveHunter

Wow...I remember seeing a box of  Cheerios for near 20 bucks a box in the old days. Thinking, I should buy them. It was a luxury item. A rarity. So was a can of Campbell's Tomato soup. 

Now we can pretty much have anything here on the face of the planet. Times sure have changed. 

For the worse though.

• Sad 1

a ketogenic diet must contain a lot of fat otherwise it won't work. You could be vegan and maintain the diet by frying low-carb vegetables in a lot of oil unfortunately very few vegetables are low-carb and you won't find any restaurant anywhere here who would have the slightest clue about the vegan keto. I would suggest an intermittent fasting  vegan diet. 

OP

I have a reasonable handle on the biochemistry behind a ketogenic diet - it sort of pushes the body into a fasting mode and therefore has to use different pathways to obtain energy for cellular function. 

Am just intrigued why you pursue this diet. As a vegan you need to intake plant foods that will provide essential amino acids - the obvious source are nuts, beans legumes etc - but these will contain starch - which is main energy store required for germination.

There is no criticism - just seems a difficult choice of dietary requirements? 

1 hour ago, peterb17 said:

OP

I have a reasonable handle on the biochemistry behind a ketogenic diet - it sort of pushes the body into a fasting mode and therefore has to use different pathways to obtain energy for cellular function. 

Am just intrigued why you pursue this diet. As a vegan you need to intake plant foods that will provide essential amino acids - the obvious source are nuts, beans legumes etc - but these will contain starch - which is main energy store required for germination.

There is no criticism - just seems a difficult choice of dietary requirements? 

Why?  Scientific curiosity actually.  I've always had a fascination with biochemical processes of metabolism.  As an athlete I've always been curious about potential of becoming more fat-adapted for sports performance (having my body primed to burn fat stores efficiently when it's called for, rather than relying on "carb loading" which is how most athletes deal with this problem.  

Personally I think carb-loading is incredibly unhealthy over time.  Increasing numbers of triathletes are developing type-2 diabetes later in life, and I wonder if (and kind of suspect that) carb-loading has something to do with this.

There has been a lot of legitimate and ground-breaking research regarding metabolic processes in the last few years that supports the notion, and thus makes me wonder if becoming more fat-adapted might be a way around "carb loading" when it comes to sports performance. 

I've been studying this stuff for a couple of years now; medical textbooks and well regarded, unbiased, and peer-reviewed research.  I'm not talking about the nonsense on the internet by health gurus who try and turn legitimate research into fantastical claims in the form weight loss diets, rejuvenation,  and cures for everything from cancer to hair loss; just to make a buck.

Bottom line, I want to find out for myself about the efficacy of a ketogenic diet on sports performance so it's time to be a guinea pig ? 

My only issue is I want to do this while keeping to a plant-based diet; easier said then done when you have to rely on restaurants, you see?  Most ketogenic diets rely on animal fats.  It's actually not a problem to get the requisite fats from plant-based sources, but the problem when it comes to "eating  out" is balancing the macros and controlling the total carb levels so that ketosis is maintained.  I need to find a restaurant owner who understands nutrition and is willing to customize dishes.

Edited by WaveHunter

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

Why?  Scientific curiosity actually.  I've always had a fascination with biochemical processes of metabolism.  As an athlete I've always been curious about potential of becoming more fat-adapted for sports performance (having my body primed to burn fat stores efficiently when it's called for, rather than relying on "carb loading" which is how most athletes deal with this problem.  

Personally I think carb-loading is incredibly unhealthy over time.  Increasing numbers of triathletes are developing type-2 diabetes later in life, and I wonder if (and kind of suspect that) carb-loading has something to do with this.

There has been a lot of legitimate and ground-breaking research regarding metabolic processes in the last few years that supports the notion, and thus makes me wonder if becoming more fat-adapted might be a way around "carb loading" when it comes to sports performance. 

I've been studying this stuff for a couple of years now; medical textbooks and well regarded, unbiased, and peer-reviewed research.  I'm not talking about the nonsense on the internet by health gurus who try and turn legitimate research into fantastical claims in the form weight loss diets, rejuvenation,  and cures for everything from cancer to hair loss; just to make a buck.

Bottom line, I want to find out for myself about the efficacy of a ketogenic diet on sports performance so it's time to be a guinea pig ? 

My only issue is I want to do this while keeping to a plant-based diet; easier said then done when you have to rely on restaurants, you see?  Most ketogenic diets rely on animal fats.  It's actually not a problem to get the requisite fats from plant-based sources, but the problem when it comes to "eating  out" is balancing the macros and controlling the total carb levels so that ketosis is maintained.  I need to find a restaurant owner who understands nutrition and is willing to customize dishes.

Interesting - what type of althete ?

Do you reply on fast  twitch or slow twitch muscles - if purely fast twitch such as a sprinter  - this approach will make no difference .

Will have to do some research .

I lectured in human psychology, molecular cell biology, biochemistry  etc etc for 20 years - I was just thinking that combining a strict vegan diet with also promoting ketosis may not be sensible - that was my first thought . 

No criticism here intended - as I say just intrigued. 

2 hours ago, peterb17 said:

Interesting - what type of althete ?

Do you reply on fast  twitch or slow twitch muscles - if purely fast twitch such as a sprinter  - this approach will make no difference .

Will have to do some research .

I lectured in human psychology, molecular cell biology, biochemistry  etc etc for 20 years - I was just thinking that combining a strict vegan diet with also promoting ketosis may not be sensible - that was my first thought . 

No criticism here intended - as I say just intrigued. 

No offense taken at all.  Glad to know someone else is "intrigued" because I find it very intriguing myself. ?

Amateur triathlon (cycling, swimming, running) is my "sport".  I'm certainly not world-class or anything like that but I take it seriously, and I really get into knowing how nutrition relates to sports performance; I mean how it "really" relates, not simply all the myths that many people just accept.

A lot of research with athletes indicates that the ketogenic response can actually be improved through training.  The ability of the body to efficiently switch over to using fat stores as fuel in the absence of glycogen, rather than relying on sports drinks and gels could be very useful.

There are increasing numbers of world class athletes that are embracing this in their training protocols.  

My intention wouldn't be to compete or even train intensely without carbs.  I'm not thinking of a ketogenic diet as a lifestyle but as a training strategy;, something that's done on an intermittent basis (i.e.: keeping carbs below 50 grams per day on non-training days, and doing 72 hour water fasts periodically (which I already do, for other reasons).

I know it will all sound crazy to some, but some of the research that's been going on in the last few years is pretty compelling.

Edited by WaveHunter