Wheelchair-bound man accepts donation target of Bt4m now likely beyond his reach

snoop1130

Wheelchair-bound man accepts donation target of Bt4m now likely beyond his reach

By The Nation

9ec02e99661dfe81f62afcf59dc2ee08.jpeg

With only some 200 kilometres to go to complete his 1,400-km journey, a 55-year-old wheelchair-bound Phitsanulok man has accepted that he will not be able to meet his target of raising Bt4 million for 48 schools for disabled children nationwide.

Sathit “Uncle Mhee” Chantharangsi reached his home province on Tuesday.

He arrived at Naresuan University at noon and moved his wheelchair along Siharaj Dechochai road to downtown Phitsanulok to accept donations at Khok Matoom in the evening.

Sathit said when he started his 1,400-km journey in June that he hoped to get donations of Bt4 million to share among 48 Panyanukul schools around the country. 

So far, however, he has travelled 1,200km and raised just Bt1.38 million.

He now realises he will not be able to meet the target, but no matter how much he has raised by the end of his trek, he will give all the money to the schools, he said.

He will undertake the next leg of his journey, to Sukhothai, on Wednesday morning.

Each day of the journey, Sathit – who is accompanied by several runners – covers at least 30km by hand-spinning his vehicle’s wheels, which is a gruelling task. 

As a non-celebrity, Sathit has said he just hoped that people found his campaign inspiring and would join his cause to help disabled children.

Donations can be wired to his Krungthai Bank account: 989-9-52647-9.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30351656

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-8-7

1 hour ago, kcpattaya said:

His name should have been Artiwara “Toon” Kongmalai...

Yes, a great inspiration. 

Now toon is earning millions in advertising endorsements with high end product names. 

And where did all the millions and millions donated by government offices with tax payers money go? 

It's all smoke and mirrors at the end of the day. 

Ask the goodwill franchise owner ???

People are so gullible. 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well Uncle Mhee i think you are a fantastic individual, shame more people have not supported you.

Thinking about you propelling your self along for 30 ks a day, wow well done.

I get tired just doing it around outside the house.

Now here is something.... How about some TV members helping support him.

I will be transferring some money, how many of other members will help?

Stats show that at least 98% of all announced donations will not be paid.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, greenchair said:

I support everything you said. Unfortunately, most of the money collected to be given to the children is spent on lining people's pockets and very little goes to the needy. 

The charity run for the hospitals raised millions of baht maybe even 1 billion . Where it goes nobody knows. I remember all the teachers and parents donated a truckload of food, clothes and toys for the local orphanage. We were supposed to present it to the children and chat with them a while. We did park outside the orphanage. A truck with a couple of Muslims parked next to us. Everything was transferred to them and they drove off. Turns out there was a Muslim market round the corner and everything went there. The orphanage got a couple of boxes. I could tell you many similar stories. I prefer to help people day to day when I see them. 

Corruption is a national scandal of epic proportions.  No one sems to have any conscience about participating, either.  Buddhist, Muslim, whatever.    Monk, police, military, schoolteacher, or lay person & and in particular, politicians of every stripe and level!  No one seems to be above it.  My wife is disgusted about it, even among people she knows and used to respect. Many Thais, across a broad spectrum of society I am sorry to say, will steal anything from anyone.    Life is really weird here when you get involved at family levels and see what goes on.   There are exceptions of course but I think not, in the same perentages as back home.  It's a whole different world here. 

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Corruption is a national scandal of epic proportions.  No one sems to have any conscience about participating, either.  Buddhist, Muslim, whatever.    Monk, police, military, schoolteacher, or lay person & and in particular, politicians of every stripe and level!  No one seems to be above it.  My wife is disgusted about it, even among people she knows and used to respect. Many Thais, across a broad spectrum of society I am sorry to say, will steal anything from anyone.    Life is really weird here when you get involved at family levels and see what goes on.   There are exceptions of course but I think not, in the same perentages as back home.  It's a whole different world here. 

I agree totally. 

It is all a game played very well by the rich. 

How can we take money from the poor to pay all of our expenses, whilst hoarding our own money ?

And making our rich selves look good at the same time. 

Just last week, the school asked every class to pay 3000 baht for a charity golfing event. 3 children were supposed to go golfing. The class leader said no need to go. Just give the money for the charity. But I insisted to go. I wanted to see if it was real. 

Aside from the students that had a parent teacher, there were no kids there. The money went to the heads of the old alumni. They all had a free day of golfing, lavish food, of course everyone got free yellow shirts.

All paid for by the poor parents. There were a few rich parents, the self appointed class leaders, they were there too.

The event raised several hundred thousand baht. 

The charity is the heads of the alumni. Apparently all the government schools hold this event. 

It's all smoke and mirrors.  

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, greenchair said:

I agree totally. 

It is all a game played very well by the rich. 

How can we take money from the poor to pay all of our expenses, whilst hoarding our own money ?

And making our rich selves look good at the same time. 

Just last week, the school asked every class to pay 3000 baht for a charity golfing event. 3 children were supposed to go golfing. The class leader said no need to go. Just give the money for the charity. But I insisted to go. I wanted to see if it was real. 

Aside from the students that had a parent teacher, there were no kids there. The money went to the heads of the old alumni. They all had a free day of golfing, lavish food, of course everyone got free yellow shirts.

All paid for by the poor parents. There were a few rich parents, the self appointed class leaders, they were there too.

The event raised several hundred thousand baht. 

The charity is the heads of the alumni. Apparently all the government schools hold this event. 

It's all smoke and mirrors.  

Disgusting and typical. What's more,  no-one who benefited will lose a minutes sleep for participating.  They all think....  "Being (self-appointed)  Hi-So's, we deserve it, don't we.?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/8/2018 at 3:06 PM, greenchair said:

I support everything you said. Unfortunately, most of the money collected to be given to the children is spent on lining people's pockets and very little goes to the needy. 

The charity run for the hospitals raised millions of baht maybe even 1 billion . Where it goes nobody knows. I remember all the teachers and parents donated a truckload of food, clothes and toys for the local orphanage. We were supposed to present it to the children and chat with them a while. We did park outside the orphanage. A truck with a couple of Muslims parked next to us. Everything was transferred to them and they drove off. Turns out there was a Muslim market round the corner and everything went there. The orphanage got a couple of boxes. I could tell you many similar stories. I prefer to help people day to day when I see them. 

Those damn Muslims again, eh...

Edited by Bluespunk

2 minutes ago, greenchair said:

It amazes me the posts and pictures that are deleted as rude or inappropriate. And yet at the top of the thread there's a fat old guy displaying his humungus donger for some kind of advertising gimmick. 

Do as I say not as I do I guess. Lol??

I cannot see it , I have advertising for Air Asia .

Maybe you are receiving targeted advertising where they send you adverts according to your web searches ?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, greenchair said:

It amazes me the posts and pictures that are deleted as rude or inappropriate. And yet at the top of the thread there's a fat old guy displaying his humungus donger for some kind of advertising gimmick. 

Do as I say not as I do I guess. Lol??

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

Maybe you are receiving targeted advertising where they send you adverts according to your web searches ?

I use Adblock, Adblock plus and uBlock origin and I get no ads.

Sometimes I get the thing from TVF saying that they need adverts to survive. I have been a member since 2003 and have never responded to any advert on TVF.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

Now there's a girl in a red dress, it changes all the time. 

The ole guy was a bit of a sight though. ?