Re-soling shoes, in Bangkok anyone

chubby

funny question but anyone ever had  shoes  "re-sole"d in Bangkok, if so where and approx cost please ?

seems a bit of a lost art, in the US they want $75 to put on new sole on some Vasque hiking shoes  ....... but could sell them for $50, worth $110 + new  etc

There's a counter shop in the basement of the Tops Market at Suk Soi 17 (Robinson's center) -- right nearby the MK restaurant there -- that does quality re-soling work. Depending on the kind of shoe and sole, probably run a few hundred baht.

The guys who work there don't speak much English, though, so you need either to be able to show them what you want in terms of the material or have someone translate. I also have the impression that they tend to be somewhat flexible in their pricing, depending on whether the customer is Thai or farang, and which of the guys there is quoting the job.

FWIW, I've had them put new soles of some of my shoes in the past specifically because the original soles were smooth and tended to be very slippery on smooth, wet street/sidewalk tiles, whereas the replacements were the grooved surface kind that don't slip so much.

With the street corner guys, it's pretty hit and miss. The prices will be lower, but you may get a good job or you may get a crap job, depending on if you've ever dealt with that person before and if they can even understand what exactly you want done.

BTW, I've also read that putting a couple lines of something called "Shoe Goo" on the bottom of one's shoes will help with the slipping part. I haven't seen that product sold here in Thailand, but I've got a couple tubes from the U.S. waiting at home for my next chance to try that on some slippery soles.

1085526775_2018-08-0804_58_39.jpg.cf11d6aac4ed19a0d2c1ddc7120fbb75.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

On 8/8/2018 at 9:47 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There's a counter shop in the basement of the Tops Market at Suk Soi 17 (Robinson's center) -- right nearby the MK restaurant there -- that does quality re-soling work. Depending on the kind of shoe and sole, probably run a few hundred baht.

The guys who work there don't speak much English, though, so you need either to be able to show them what you want in terms of the material or have someone translate. I also have the impression that they tend to be somewhat flexible in their pricing, depending on whether the customer is Thai or farang, and which of the guys there is quoting the job.

FWIW, I've had them put new soles of some of my shoes in the past specifically because the original soles were smooth and tended to be very slippery on smooth, wet street/sidewalk tiles, whereas the replacements were the grooved surface kind that don't slip so much.

With the street corner guys, it's pretty hit and miss. The prices will be lower, but you may get a good job or you may get a crap job, depending on if you've ever dealt with that person before and if they can even understand what exactly you want done.

BTW, I've also read that putting a couple lines of something called "Shoe Goo" on the bottom of one's shoes will help with the slipping part. I haven't seen that product sold here in Thailand, but I've got a couple tubes from the U.S. waiting at home for my next chance to try that on some slippery soles.

1085526775_2018-08-0804_58_39.jpg.cf11d6aac4ed19a0d2c1ddc7120fbb75.jpg

I've heard Vibram soles if that is what they are get hard in Humid  climates,  maybe you can sand them with sandpaper or try puff paint

Edited by khlongtoey
typos