UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

26 minutes ago, oilinki said:

That's all good then. Naturally if you wish to export the UK produced cheese to other countries, you'll be hit with 44% tariffs. 

As will any EU cheese that is exported to the UK.

Perhaps people will learn to appreciate great British cheese once again. The rich and the yuppies won't care.

From Wikipedia so perhaps not 100% correct but not 100% incorrect either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_cheeses

This is a list of cheeses from the United Kingdom. The British Cheese Board states that "there are over 700 named British cheeses produced in the UK."[1]

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kwilco said:

here are  few things that "haven't happened yet" - apart from the fact they either WIL or HAVE......

Good luck crossing the road! (tip - don't follow the chicken!)

21014163_477502675942440_3572425022444170218_o.png

The good point of Brexit is that most of us in remaining EU took these rights as granted.

Now people in EU countries start to realise why EU is such an good thing for our little nations and we are now much more willing to fight for our rights, which EU gives us.

So, thanks Leavers. 

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

As will any EU cheese that is exported to the UK.

Perhaps people will learn to appreciate great British cheese once again. The rich and the yuppies won't care.

From Wikipedia so perhaps not 100% correct but not 100% incorrect either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_cheeses

This is a list of cheeses from the United Kingdom. The British Cheese Board states that "there are over 700 named British cheeses produced in the UK."[1]

Good food and Britain (or my beloved home country) doesn't have the similar ring to it as food associated to France, Italy or Spain. ?

I'm actually eating Cheddar, but only because it's the only reasonably priced cheese found in Thailand. 

4 minutes ago, oilinki said:

The good point of Brexit is that most of us in remaining EU took these rights as granted.

Now people in EU countries start to realise why EU is such an good thing for our little nations and we are now much more willing to fight for our rights, which EU gives us.

So, thanks Leavers. 

"We have many times led Europe in the fight for freedom. It would be an ignoble end to our long history if we tamely accepted to perish by degrees."
Anthony Eden

"Europe is my continent, not my country"
John Redwood

https://talent100.wordpress.com/2010/10/10/quotes-on-europe-and-they-aint-complimentary/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

"We have many times led Europe in the fight for freedom. It would be an ignoble end to our long history if we tamely accepted to perish by degrees."
Anthony Eden

"Europe is my continent, not my country"
John Redwood

https://talent100.wordpress.com/2010/10/10/quotes-on-europe-and-they-aint-complimentary/

"EU provides us rights and freedoms to live, work and retire unbound to our states borders. It's better to live in the present, see the bright future, than live in the past."

- oilinki'at'thaivisa

"Europe is my country"

- oilinki'at'thaivisa 

Now it's on the internet, so it's official.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1052191-uk-voters-should-make-final-brexit-decision-if-talks-with-eu-collapse-poll/?do=findComment&comment=13299166

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, oilinki said:

So, thanks Leavers. 

Couldn’t agree more. The irony really is how the Brexit makers were fantasizing about the EU breaking apart because more countries would follow, where now we can see the opposite happening: As the UK is getting itself in mess deeper and deeper everyday, it’s providing the EU a good credential and all sceptics a nice little case study showing why it’s better to not leave. 

Thanks Leavers. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, oilinki said:

"EU provides us rights and freedoms to live, work and retire unbound to our states borders. It's better to live in the present, see the bright future, than live in the past."

- oilinki@thaivisa

"Europe is my country"

- oilinki@thaivisa 

Now it's on the internet, so it's official.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1052191-uk-voters-should-make-final-brexit-decision-if-talks-with-eu-collapse-poll/?do=findComment&comment=13299166

I have read most of your posts and I would never use a quote from a bitter man.?

2 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Good food and Britain (or my beloved home country) doesn't have the similar ring to it as food associated to France, Italy or Spain. ?

I'm actually eating Cheddar, but only because it's the only reasonably priced cheese found in Thailand. 

And it is not even real Cheddar cheese anyway. Probably a copy from Australia or New Zealand.

Having eaten French and Spanish food I was not that impressed though food from rural France was good. Germany, Holland and Belgian food is OK but a bit bland.

It is possible to get really good cheese in Thailand but expect to part with at least one arm and all your credit card to do so.

I have had a quick look at making my own cheese but it is not that easy in rural KPP.

• Like 1

Just now, vogie said:

I have read most of your posts and I would never use a quote from a bitter man.?

How an earth would you define me as a bitter man? I can assure you, I'm not one.

I find this whole discussion about Brexit rather funny and silly. 

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So erm.... by that logic you can’t promise a Brexit Dividend or an extra £350,000,000 for the NHS.

Throwing all the money in the world down the NHS bottomless pit is not going to cure the problems it has. It needs a complete overhaul.

Edited by vogie
Spelling mistake
  • Like 1

here are  few things that "haven't happened yet" - apart from the fact they either WIL or HAVE......

21014163_477502675942440_3572425022444170218_o.thumb.png.3eac4b1470289a44d063976c43a42f16.png
The only major benefit listed in the above is the first one.

The second one is moot. No county outside the EU has a say and why would they particularly want to?

3,4 and 5 all concern Brits living and travelling in Europe. What percentage of the population is that? 1 to 2% perhaps. Pretty tiny, whatever the number. Let's focus first on people actually living in Britain as a starting point, not the couple of percent who don't.

6 and 7: no reason whatsoever we can't create our own laws. Don't need Brussels to do it for us.

8: yes it will take time, nobody is disputing that, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, oilinki said:

How an earth would you define me as a bitter man? I can assure you, I'm not one.

I find this whole discussion about Brexit rather funny and silly. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't blame you or your fellow jesters, if I were in your positions and knew my taxes were going to increase through the UK exiting the EU, I would be none too happy also. I don't think I would use as many snide remarks as are being thrown at us, but brexiteers generally are very resolute people and very forgiving, so you and your buddies are forgiven. ?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

Don't get me wrong, I don't blame you or your fellow jesters, if I were in your positions and knew my taxes were going to increase through the UK exiting the EU, I would be none too happy also. I don't think I would use as many snide remarks as are being thrown at us, but brexiteers generally are very resolute people and very forgiving, so you and your buddies are forgiven. ?

Thanks for forgiving, however I'm not sure for what, but thanks anyway. For me the snide remarks are the fun part of these discussions. A clever remark is a clever one, regardless who says it.

I value my freedoms far more than I value few euros increase on taxes. Furthermore I'm quite convinced that at the end, when the foreign businesses which are currently located in UK, to have access to EU markets, relocate to EU countries, it will be beneficial for EU.

It's just a bit sad to have old friend to move to another part of the world. 

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Much of that cheese is already produced in the UK so import tariffs shouldn't apply.

555! - remember -  environment secretary Liz Truss declared the fact that the UK imports two-thirds of its cheese as “a disgrace”?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

21014163_477502675942440_3572425022444170218_o.png

1.3 million people born in the UK live in other EU countries, according to 2017 estimates from the United Nations (UN). Around 900,000 UK citizens were long-term residents in other EU countries in 2010 and 2011, according to census data across the EU collated by the Office for National Statistics 

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I got my jobs working in Holland twice, Belgium, France for 7 months and Germany for 15 months through my qualifications.

Also the EU had nothing to do with the jobs I got outside of the UK and the EU. They also had no input as to my retirement to Thailand.

If you are qualified and available for work then you can get work in the EU.

If you are not then you can't. As for retirement in the EU I have no idea as the EU never showed up on my retirement radar.

I've worked both before and after we joined the EU - it was much easier after.

Of course, highly qualified people will still be able to work in the EU post-Brexit. Given that post-brexit Britain may not be a very nice place to live it wouldn't surprise me if many of our  best and brightest choose to work there instead of the UK . So the UK loses much needed talent while those not so well qualified are stuck there.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I got my jobs working in Holland twice, Belgium, France for 7 months and Germany for 15 months through my qualifications.

Also the EU had nothing to do with the jobs I got outside of the UK and the EU. They also had no input as to my retirement to Thailand.

If you are qualified and available for work then you can get work in the EU.

If you are not then you can't. As for retirement in the EU I have no idea as the EU never showed up on my retirement radar.

We represent different generations. I'm still planning to live and work in Southern Europe. Later on perhaps retire there, or move back to SEA or South America.

I like to keep my options open.

One reason I wish to move back to EU is the easiness to live and work. No visas, no work permits etc. which are requested here in Thailand. I like to just hangout for a year, if I wish to do so and my finances permit. 

3 hours ago, oilinki said:

But can't each country waive any import tariffs as they wish? Most often those tariffs are to protect local production so that the countries can keep self sufficient in case of breakdown of global economy.

It would not be smart, but possible?

no they send up in court just as the US has.

this is the official government summary of the situation at present - its reminiscient of something from WW2 or the ration years

place your arms over your head, bend down, close your eyes ....and kiss your arese good-bye

54 minutes ago, oilinki said:

We represent different generations. I'm still planning to live and work in Southern Europe. Later on perhaps retire there, or move back to SEA or South America.

I like to keep my options open.

One reason I wish to move back to EU is the easiness to live and work. No visas, no work permits etc. which are requested here in Thailand. I like to just hangout for a year, if I wish to do so and my finances permit. 

Amazes me test people have no idea how the /eu got them jobs all over the world.

3 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

Apart from the unnecessary dig at "emotional perception", I don't disagree with you. And the government is taking heed, as we have seen in the news in the last day or two. The obvious reason that the UK gov't can't be fully prepared is that we don't know which "deal" to prepare for.

But there is a huge amount of scare-mongering in the MSM, some sheer nonsense like the 44% tariff on cheese, and very little balanced coverage at all.

I won't bother going into what I was doing in the Y2K, but we both know that a lot of the fear was unfounded. I believe the same is true today, whether you think it's "emotional perception" or not. I'm happy to compare notes after the event if you like. Have a good day.

Only the badly informed would have ever thought that Y2K issue was unfounded.

It is a sad state of the times when people in possession of potentially avoidance information have to think twice before giving any warning. In the case of a non event it is branded as fear mongering, but fail to provide a warning and there is an event, then branded as irresponsible. The classic no win situation.

The doctors, nurses, police, scientists. teachers, and leaders from virtually every sector of the UK economy have stated that the no deal scenario would be bad for the UK, but a handful of politicians think that they are all wrong. Only an emotional bias could consider the politicians are right, certainly not rational thinking.

• Like 1