Bangkok's traffic nightmare: Capital is now clogged by 3 million cars and even more motorbikes

webfact

4 minutes ago, BEngBKK said:

Is this not just a natural developement in any delovoping country ?

I must be missing something. Where is the 'development' in poisoning your environment, wasting natural resources and producing travel times nearly as long as a days work? Isn't that better described as destruction.

21 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I am only a visitor to Bangkok these days. Seems to me incidents of road rage are on the rise. Taxi drivers refuse to take you where you want to go. Motorcycles take over the sidewalks at rush hour. And yet, more new hotels, condo projects and malls are being built along Suk -- three separate projects are underway on Suk Soi 36 alone, plus eventually the new EmSphere at soi 22. Add in 7 more BTS stations on the Suk line plus other extensions and thousands more people will commute into the city. Bangkok life is degrading by the minute. 

Totally agree.  Thailand is not unique in having this problem, but the solution is to have more than one "magnet city" in the country where the young, best and brightest want to go.  This place may well go entirely underwater anyway, so about time they diversify geographically.

Edited by ChidlomDweller
  • Like 1

Something that also really exacerbates the problem is horrible urban planning (or no planning at all).  What I mean is there are far too few connecting roads, often necessitating a long drive to cross a short distance.  This also makes the city pretty much unbearable for walking (combined with the heat, noise and pollution), pushing more people towards car use.  For instance, if you want to walk to a building 200 meters away from Sukhumvit Soi 24 to Soit 26, you're in for a half-hour walk and will arrive dripping in sweat.  

In Singapore, the government has incentives for developers to open ground-level access to the public.  Yet another example of how a little bit of planning can make a vast difference.  

• Like 1

On 8/10/2018 at 5:04 AM, keeniau96 said:

Would be a good idea to consider London as a model, or even better Singapore.

Not sure what you mean about using London for a model?

If you mean a model for how to make the roads unusable then yes London is a good model. Ask Boris Johnson to come up with a cycling scheme for Bangkok and also ensure that there is a plan for considerable roadworks for the next decade.

13 minutes ago, cracker1 said:

So there is still no plan to fix this problem and seems no one is working on one ?

Oh there is a plan I'm sure, but if it was implemented, the experts here would criticize it ,???

Bangkok Traffic sucks. So does the traffic in LA, NYC, London, Moscow, Tokyo, Chicago, Jakarta etc. If I decide to move back to any of those cities, I ain't gonna complain about the traffic.