Russian Bikes

AllanB

Ural Motorcycles from Russia.

Russian vehicles have been a bit of a mixed bag over the years, Lada Niva was/is a really tough vehicle, I competed against them in the Ladoga Trophy and they survived a real beating, when the Landrovers and Jap vehicles fell to bits.

For years Kamaz trucks have dominated the tough Dakar Rallies, indeed they started the truck catagory, with their fast relaible support trucks.

.....on the other hand we have the Euro-copy vehicles like the Opel reincarnation, the dreaded Moskvitch and Fiat clone the Lada Riva and a few others the Russians kept for themselves.

If the key is the Russians doing their own thing, maybe they will be good, they certainly look darn cool IMO.

If they are bad we can blame Putin  ? .....or Trump.

Image may contain: 1 person

https://www.imz-ural.com/blog/2017/01/06/1227

Edited by AllanB

Yea sure the Ural is a good no nonsense bike outta the mold of old BMW's on which it is based so the story goes that were seized from the German's when they turfed 'em out of Russia in WW2 .. There was a dealership in S London back in the 90's that sold 'em new .. Utilitarian is maybe best way to describe Russian vehicles which is probably why they've never really cut it in the bourgeois capitalist West .. Lada's , Moskvitch's , Gaz's were all good for the Communist markets but the West like a bit more .. Lada have had a bit of a reboot recently and were doing quite well in the WTCC though as far as selling cars to the West again they have ironically got a fair bit of competition from the Germans .. 

IMG_20180810_202755.jpg

IMG_20180810_201122.jpg

My mum had a Moskvitch then a Lada. They went, but were a dog to drive and upon her getting too old to drive, she gave me the Lada. I couldn’t keep it long because in the ‘80’s, it wasn’t exactly ‘cool’, a bit like most of the Ural riders!!!

I ended up giving the car away (free) but kept the extensive tool kit that came with the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Google Ural motorcycle problems ...

Altho' seems whatever bike is purchased it will be beset with insurmountable problems

Reminds a bit not that bad about my Dads Triumph speed twin, he use say I wish I had kept my old Rudge. ?

Just looked a couple of Youtube videos and the look a bit awkward, hard steering, but then the guy said he got used to it and found it big fun.

They are purpose built for the sidecar (I think) they even have reverse, so not sure if the bike goes on it's own, like most.

I assume they are built, LHD or RHD as the one in the photo is RHD and the home market would be LHD.

When my Vespa gets to the age where it needs an MOT (meaning I have have to take it to the UK every year), I may go down the sidecar route. I am not a fast rider, so may suit me and gotta have a go.

.........Wow!!, it won't be a Ural though...I just noticed £15,000.......that must be the sanction duty....

I think they look cool.

Had a Ural gear up kinda heavy and (drove) not ridden like a truck was to slow for the freeways here in California the sidecar (hack) takes getting used to the Chinese make the Chang ging a copy of the Uralic bmw I think they would be ok for Thailand