Thai ID for 2,500 baht, driving license 3,500 - forger arrested in Lampang

rooster59

Thai ID for 2,500 baht, driving license 3,500 - forger arrested in Lampang

id2.JPG

Image: Daily News

The Metropolitan police have announced the arrest of a forger who produced a large variety of Thai documents and IDs over a period of ten years. 

Computer expert Aphiwat Kanthawong, 32, had been earning up to 400,000 baht a month over the last decade, reported Daily News. 

He was arrested at a Lampang post office after inquiries from a similar bust in Phuket back in February. 

Through Line and Facebook he was selling fake title deeds (chanote), driving licenses, Thai ID cards, house registration documents (thabian ban), vehicle tax discs and vehicle registration books. 

He was caught with a 150,000 baht roll of film used to forge Department of Land Transport documents - he told investigators he bought the film on Ali Baba from China. 

He forged thousands of items. 

Here were his prices:

Thai ID card : 2,500 - 3,000 baht
Driving license: 3,500 - 4,000 baht
Title deeds: 5,000 baht
House registration: 3,500 - 6,000 baht
Vehicle tax discs: 1,500 baht
Vehicle registration book: 500 baht. 

Aphiwat boasted that his title deed forgeries were 99% accurate and his Thai ID cards 80%. 

The arrest was announced by Pol Maj Gen Panurat Lakbun who headed a metropolitan team investigating vehicular fraud. 

The cops said that the suspect earned between 200,000 and 400,000 baht a month.

Source: Daily News

id3.JPG

I wonder if he has a back-up of all of his documents produced,if he has there would be lots to follow up on.Could keep the police busy for years.How many court cases are there?This could be a very deep hole but that will depend on who is going to investigate.

8 minutes ago, jvs said:

I wonder if he has a back-up of all of his documents produced,if he has there would be lots to follow up on.Could keep the police busy for years....(snip)

IF...an impossible  'if'..the police would follow up on his and other who issued fake driver's licenses..it would remove a significant portion of

Thai's on the roads.  Fat chance that will happen.

6 hours ago, LukDod said:

IF...an impossible  'if'..the police would follow up on his and other who issued fake driver's licenses..it would remove a significant portion of

Thai's on the roads.  Fat chance that will happen.

You very much underestimate the RTP. They always follow up on cases like this and always come with great results.

Don't you know about the case of those forgers of foreign origin (Pakistani I think) just a couple of years ago ? they discovered a whole network !!!

10 hours ago, rooster59 said:
Thai ID card : 2,500 - 3,000 baht
Driving license: 3,500 - 4,000 baht
Title deeds: 5,000 baht
House registration: 3,500 - 6,000 baht
Vehicle tax discs: 1,500 baht
Vehicle registration book: 500 baht. 

Bet it was the crocks at the Land Registry who reported him for undercutting their prices... 

7 hours ago, BEngBKK said:

That is very expencive.... I only pay 200 baht for driving licinse at dlt om sukumwith and no need to take the 4 tests

Cost me only 500 baht for a real one....

On 8/11/2018 at 12:03 PM, Thian said:

Guys like him are responsible for the mess on the roads, loads of people who bought a drivinglicense but still can't drive.

Lock him up forever and do the same with others like him.

As someone that did the full Thai driving test process for both motorcycle and car (since at the time I lived in a backwood province and they were adamant it wasn't possible to get one on the basis my foreign license) I would suggest the issue is with the actual test process.

Driving a car / bike around a go kart sized track for 5 minutes without hitting any cones or forgetting to indicate at the two "junctions", and performing a parallel park with enough space for a minibus isn't especially in depth. Especially when if one fails they can return the next day and try again, and repeat until they pass.

Archived