If the cave boys can get citizenship what about me - says stateless origami contestant

webfact

33 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

A Thai Baht millionaire!
I saw a Japanese one who orders water only. He tops off from stash of shochu hidden in his shoulder bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The guy I know has only his gov' pension from UK, maybe 27,000 baht a month now with the present exchange rate.

14 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Now what unusual honor would a retired expat bring to the Kingdom !!! 

If the whiners on TVF are typical of the majority of expats in Thailand,  then none I can think of except the heartfelt thanks of the country they came from. 555

Edited by tryasimight

12 hours ago, Esso49 said:

Understand your sentiment and that is irrespective of the fact that many of us bring millions of hard currency into the Thai economy. But hey this is not what the thread is about. In fact Thai looks like it has missed a chance of being another hub of something or other,   the hub of paper folding.

How many millions did you bring in last year

...dollars.... Not baht.

Yeah I thought so. 

3 hours ago, attrayant said:

I’m way behind on this story, apparently. Can somebody tell me why these boys don’t have citizenship? Are they not Thai? Were they not born in Thailand?

Some were born in Myanmar but were brought /sent Thailand across the border illegally.  They have Burmese citizenship, in theory  but it gets very murky with the so called hill tribes.

Mong’s hope of citizenship brightens after receiving 3 letters of certification

Mong.jpg

Mong Thongdee’s hope of getting Thai citizenship is one step closer to reality as he has now received three letters of certification which are crucial in proving his contributions to the Thai society.

Mong, 21, who was born to a family of Myanmar migrants, gained national attention back in 2009  when he became a national paper plane champion before winning the third place at an international competition in Japan the same year.  At the height of his fame, he was promised Thai citizenship by politicians and bureaucrats but nothing came about.

Mong told Thai PBS that he has received letters of certification from Thai PBS managing director Associate Professor Vilasinee Pipitkul,  Abhisivit Vejjajiva who was prime minister in 2009, and  Khunying Kalaya Sophonpanich, minister of science and technology at the time.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/mongs-hope-of-citizenship-brightens-after-receiving-3-letters-of-certification/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-08-14

19 hours ago, webfact said:

PM at the time Abhisit Vejjajiva promised to get citizenship for the stateless Mong but when he was ousted from power it all went quiet.

Easy way for the current administration to get a couple of credibility points, given he was already promised it a decade back. 

3 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Some were born in Myanmar but were brought /sent Thailand across the border illegally.  They have Burmese citizenship, in theory  but it gets very murky with the so called hill tribes.

People who are born in Thailand:

- If one parent is a Thai citizen, then the child is automatically Thai.

- If both parents are non-Thai, the child is not automatically  a Thai citizen. 

Applies to all, regardless of any hill tribe or any other origin.

16 hours ago, Esso49 said:

Understand your sentiment and that is irrespective of the fact that many of us bring millions of hard currency into the Thai economy. But hey this is not what the thread is about. In fact Thai looks like it has missed a chance of being another hub of something or other,   the hub of paper folding.

Some farang seem to think their 'millions' is what keeps Thailand afloat - not true.

For years plenty of posts on TV suggesting that 90% of Essan families are supported by farang - not true.