Thailand Vs Philippines?

Ricohoc

I spent over 5 years in the P.I. a couple decades ago and loved it...was also in Thailand a couple decades ago for 3 years and loved it. But my P.I. stay was about 5 years after my Thailand stay.

It's somewhat hard to compare countries "real time" unless a person can say they have lived-in/visited both extensively over relatively the same time frame. Although I live in the country of Thailand now with my Thai wife of several decades and love them both (with X-amount of Thailand limitation/frustrations) and haven't been to the P.I. since the early '90's, I do have many friends (including Filipino's) which I think allow me to make a comparison and I would have to rate Thailand over the P.I. for economic, safety, and fun reasons although the P.I. is cheaper living.

Edited by Pib

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do any of you guys see the cost of living rising more quickly in LOS than in the PI for those coming from the US?

Seems like I've read somewhere that there is a fear that the US dollar will lose value more quickly in Thailand ... What do you guys who are in the LOS think of that? Any evidence that you can point to?

Thanks!

Manila is the cheapest city worldwide for expats, that is official.

• 1 month later...

Philippines just gets worse and worse

infrastructure in decay, crime rising all the time

and the beaches get more crowded with koreans

Food seems to get worse everytime I go

More threat of terrorism with abu sayaf getting stronger

Thailand wins hands down

The PI is gaining on Thailand every day.

At the moment, the Thai government makes Arroyo's gang look like a role model.

Lodging/housing is more expensive in Phil, but everything else is cheaper.

Some people won't ever like it because the Phils have a special place in their heart for Americans. :o

You don't have to admit it, we understand. :D

I don't know too much about Thailand vs. the Philippines, but I know that most Filipinas I meet are loud mouthed and quite annoying. Is that just the ones who come here?

Doubt it, most of those types don't get past immigration. :o

Thailand wins hands down

Maybe look at some data:

http://www.visionofhumanity.org/gpi/results/rankings.php

This is a "peace index" and the Philippines is ranked more peaceful than Thailand........and this was last year.......now you know the gap is even greater in favor of the Philippines

http://www.indexmundi.com/map/?v=66

This index measures economic growth and the Philippines wins again over Thailand.

And while you are examining this, look at Cambodia and Vietnam.........somebody is living in a world of myths.

Thailand wins hands down

Maybe look at some data:

This is a "peace index" and the Philippines is ranked more peaceful than Thailand........and this was last year.......now you know the gap is even greater in favor of the Philippines

This index measures economic growth and the Philippines wins again over Thailand.

And while you are examining this, look at Cambodia and Vietnam.........somebody is living in a world of myths.

I really do question the accuracy of the Indexmundi statistics .. no doubt due to "creative"(?) reporting.

Examples re: Thailand

Unemployment rate - 1%

Inflation - 2.2%

Military expenditures - % of GDP - 1.8%

And some of the explanations of statistics make them pretty meaningless, IMO.

"Definitions of poverty vary considerably among nations. For example, rich nations generally employ more generous standards of poverty than poor nations."

"There are no universal definitions and standards of literacy. Unless otherwise specified, all rates are based on the most common definition - the ability to read and write at a specified age. Detailing the standards that individual countries use to assess the ability to read and write is beyond the scope of the Factbook."

Thailand wins hands down

Maybe look at some data:

I really do question the accuracy of the Indexmundi statistics .. no doubt due to "creative"(?) reporting.

Examples re: Thailand

Unemployment rate - 1%

Inflation - 2.2%

Military expenditures - % of GDP - 1.8%

And some of the explanations of statistics make them pretty meaningless, IMO.

"Definitions of poverty vary considerably among nations. For example, rich nations generally employ more generous standards of poverty than poor nations."

"There are no universal definitions and standards of literacy. Unless otherwise specified, all rates are based on the most common definition - the ability to read and write at a specified age. Detailing the standards that individual countries use to assess the ability to read and write is beyond the scope of the Factbook."

I think we both know all statistics can be altered to make a point. The only way to deal with the confusion is to use some common sense based on experience and take note of independent sources coming to the same conclusion.

The PI is gaining on Thailand every day.

At the moment, the Thai government makes Arroyo's gang look like a role model.

Lodging/housing is more expensive in Phil, but everything else is cheaper.

Texpat

I normally live in the Philippines but I'm over on the eastern seaboard to work for a few months. I worked in Thailand both 15 and 5 years ago, sure seemed a nicer place back then.

I've known Phillipines for about 13 years now...its definately my choice. Stay out of Manila and Cebu and find a laid back island town like Dumaguete, Panglao Island, Puerto Galera. Dumaguete is getting all new concrete roads right now so its a bit of a mess but when complete it will be fine. Its a university town with quite a few but not too many expats. And the housing.... I've been looking for places in Pattaya area to rent.... Philippines is definately cheaper as of this weekend. Cost of living is currently cheaper in Philippines.

Paperwork and legal stuff is equal....both as frustrating as each other, but the all important beer....almost can't afford it here. Philippines wins hands down.

Ulysses G-- Any significance re your forum name? Long gray line wannabe?

Chesty Puller was already taken. :D

ditto :o

The Marines belong to the Department of the Navy

The service with the most and largest amphibious assaults? Yep, the U.S. Army.

It's a pun on gun, you know.
Yes, a very subtle one indeed. Thanks for pointing that out!

The sexual crudity doesn't bother me.

The flippancy about weapons, violence and suicide do. Highly insensitive and offensive, IMHO.

I have several guns and have never shot anybod unintentionally.

statistics mean nothing

I look at the facts with my own eyes

infratsructure, food, security are all very bad in the Phils

maybe houses are cheaper to rent but quality is lower along with the security risks

hotels are way more expensive making holidays or short trips virtually impossible on limited budgets.

Dumaguete is really very boring and there are power cuts all the time and for a small town has a big traffic problem worse than pattaya.

also beaches in the Phils are generally worse than thailand

ie very narrow and rocky in most places

apart from the one now ruined beach at borocay I have yet to see the big wide sweeping beaches of white sand of say phuket or samui

in fact white sand beaches are few anbd far between in the phils

the main concern is security with crime seemigly rising all the time

dumaguete i hear is getting very bad for that as people move in from other provinces

statistics mean nothing

I look at the facts with my own eyes

infratsructure, food, security are all very bad in the Phils

maybe houses are cheaper to rent but quality is lower along with the security risks

hotels are way more expensive making holidays or short trips virtually impossible on limited budgets.

Dumaguete is really very boring and there are power cuts all the time and for a small town has a big traffic problem worse than pattaya.

also beaches in the Phils are generally worse than thailand

ie very narrow and rocky in most places

apart from the one now ruined beach at borocay I have yet to see the big wide sweeping beaches of white sand of say phuket or samui

in fact white sand beaches are few anbd far between in the phils

the main concern is security with crime seemigly rising all the time

dumaguete i hear is getting very bad for that as people move in from other provinces

been in the philippines recently there were lots of infrastructure projects going on in manila and the traffic could be really hellish if u get caught during rush hours.

securitywise i dont think the philippines is more dangerous than thailand. i've met genuinely friendly locals while i was there. the food sucks generally but some native delicacies are quite appetizing. the beer is very cheap, that's the best part of the trip lol!

manila is an overcrowded place but if you get the right company the nightlife and some spots can be very interesting to explore.

boracay was a fascinating place to relax, i'd love that cool powdery white-sand under my feet. i'd love to go back for another holiday sometime soon.

i got some friends visiting dumaguete at the moment and i'd like to hear from them about the experience.

the philippines can be a good alternative for expats fleeing thailand at the moment.

my two cents worth!

I normally live in the Philippines but I'm over on the eastern seaboard to work for a few months. I worked in Thailand both 15 and 5 years ago, sure seemed a nicer place back then.

I've known Phillipines for about 13 years now...its definately my choice. Stay out of Manila and Cebu and find a laid back island town like Dumaguete, Panglao Island, Puerto Galera. Dumaguete is getting all new concrete roads right now so its a bit of a mess but when complete it will be fine. Its a university town with quite a few but not too many expats. And the housing.... I've been looking for places in Pattaya area to rent.... Philippines is definately cheaper as of this weekend. Cost of living is currently cheaper in Philippines.

Paperwork and legal stuff is equal....both as frustrating as each other, but the all important beer....almost can't afford it here. Philippines wins hands down.

Thanks for the tips on where to stay.........Dumaguete, Panglao Island, Puerto Galera all look great. I would really like to know more about Puerto Galera........send me a message if possible. Thanks.

Thanks for posts about the Phillippines.Am very curious myself.

Two expats I spoketo recently here in cambo mentioned good things about

living/setting up a small biz there...also about a town with surf.

I wrote the names of the towns down on paper,but need to find them.

Good reading posts like this!

Thanks,

Mel

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know too much about Thailand vs. the Philippines, but I know that most Filipinas I meet are loud mouthed and quite annoying. Is that just the ones who come here?

So true ! The ones I met also are dark and fat ! hahaha

I know many Filipino women who are drop dead gorgeous.........but beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

I was only there on a three week trip to check it out as an alternative to Thailand. Like most people who have compared, Thailand comes out easily on top.

Dumaguete is relaxing for a few days but is quite isolated. I could not live in such a boring place with so few options and such limited, boring food.

If I had to leave Thailand, I would think about Cebu City. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Edited by Jingthing

The PI and Thailand remind me of the US military in one sense. The US Marines are always talking about and comparing themselves to the Army--a real fixation/inferiority complex (no reason for it, but it's there nonetheless). In the US Army, in contrast, people generally don't even concern themselves with the Marines.

Inferiority complex? I think that you have got it backwards.

When I was a Marine, we mostly laughed at the Army if we thought about them at all. :) .

Trouble with the US Marines is that they "actually" believe what the US media say about them.............. :D

• 1 month later...

I've lived in Thailand the past few years and have traveled to the Philippines. I don't think you can really compare them and come up with one that is "better". They are both very unique places with good and bad points.

Thailand is a beautiful country with a wonderful culture. I have really enjoyed living here. But the Philippines has a lot of good points too. My recommendation is to spend most of your time OUT of Manila. Manila is interesting and loud and fun, but I think Sagada and the mountains in northern Luzon are much better. Beautiful scenery, fresh air, and great people who speak English well. And the food in Sagada... amazing. One of my favorite things about PH as opposed to many other Asian countries was that I could easily talk and interact with so many people.

Thai food is awesome, there is no denying that. But anyone who says Filipino food is crap is crazy. I had a lot of delicious food while in the Philippines. Some of it was home-cooked, some at nicer restaurants, and some at open-air markets. There was a lot of fresh vegetable and good cuts of meat. I should say that all the places I had Filipino food were places outside of tourist areas (some of the worst Thai food I've had has been in tourist areas).

About the guns... I'm guessing most posters don't have much experience with guns, and therefore simply seeing one is scary. There are a lot of armed guards, even at places like McDonalds sometimes, and that's weird at first. However, from what my Filipino friends say is more of a precaution than it is a reaction against a supposedly dangerous environment. I think maybe the terrorism in the south has something to do with that mentality. At least in the Philippines the guns are out and on display in trained hands, unlike in Thailand where they're stowed in a motorbike, waiting for their owner to lose face ;-) I never felt unsafe in Manila, though Ermita at night seems a little seedy. But so do parts of Bangkok.

I met more hospitality in the Philippines than anywhere else. But the tourist facilities kind of suck in some areas. There is no Khao San in Bangkok equivelant in Manila that I saw - only dirty streets and too many prostitutes (thanks to all the sex tourists). It's a shame, because I found the locals more willing to strike up a conversation and hang out. I think the Philippines has the potential to be on par with Thailand as a SE Asia destination, but some things will have to change first.

Overall, I don't think of Thailand and the Philippines in terms of "best" or even "better". They are just different. Both are very unique, and I have had a lot of fun in both places. Check them both out! Good luck :)

I've lived in Thailand the past few years and have traveled to the Philippines. I don't think you can really compare them and come up with one that is "better". They are both very unique places with good and bad points.

I met more hospitality in the Philippines than anywhere else. But the tourist facilities kind of suck in some areas. ...I found the locals more willing to strike up a conversation and hang out.

Overall, I don't think of Thailand and the Philippines in terms of "best" or even "better". They are just different. Both are very unique, and I have had a lot of fun in both places.

You sum-up allot of the good points of both countries and I agree that the two countries are unique and can't really be compared. Thailand is more economically advanced, with all the good and bad that goes along with that, whereas the Phils are much poorer and there are good and bad points with that as well. Native and Western foods generally much better in Thailand but can be found in Phils too (especially in Manila). My main issues with the Phils is hygiene/sanitation and medical care...both are at a much lower level in PI than LOS. Even in Manila, there is not one hospital comparable to the many fne ones in Bangkok...and don't even talk about care in the provinces. One negative factor often overlooked is the extreme weather in the PI. Being in the typhone belt, the country suffers several major destructive storms every year.

However, and this is a big one, culturally the Phils really comes up a winner for me. I love all the time I spend there and being able to converse with just about anyone in English is a real bonus. The fact many Filipinos have worked/traveled overseas and have an interest in the outside world (often not found in Thais) makes them interesting to talk to and get to know. Entablishing real friendships is also much easier than in Thailand. The country itself is also much more scenic (mountains, volcanos, tropical islands) than Thailand. There is no question, if it wasn't for the issues I mentioned and if the general level of infrustrucure was a little better, I would move there in a heartbeat.

Reading this thread makes me really want to try living in Manila. It sounds exciting.

I just came back from spending two weeks in Manila and kind of went based on others recomendations. I was disappointed because they palce is dirty and the beggers are pushy ( which they a alot of). I judge a place based on my gag reflix and I had a lot of those while there. It wasn't the food stalls or markets but the smell of human waste, urine and rotting trash left on the streets. I'd pick Bangkok anytime.

How does it compare to Jakarta? Ive lived in Jakarta and I loved it, despite the grinding poverty and filth.

If grinding poverty and filth are no problem, you should feel very much at home in Manila. Filipinos are also a Malay race of people like Indonesians - so they look like and speak English with a similar accent - so you should feel right at home.