Thailand Vs Philippines?

Ricohoc

Just my thoughts.

I live now for more than 1 year in Cambodia where i run a business.

I travelled athe recent years a lot in south east asia and visitid phills and thailand about 7 times

Thailand is called the LOS but now i only notice fake smiles. Its all about money money and their best case scenario is that you send your wallet by post.

Phills is a wonderfull country if you go to the provinces. People in Manilla are not nice, they try to ripp you, its poluted and stinks.

In the provinces you will meet the nice and friendly filipinos. Good cities with a good mix of having enough entertainment and still laid back are Cebu and Davao.

I have been to Dumaguette as well but that was too boring.

Dont need to say that my favorite country is Cambodia

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
For those of you who have spent time in both places, how would you compare and contrast them?

Do you find more advantages/disadvantages in one over the other?

Thanks, guys! :)

Malls - Advantage Philippines

Natural Parks - Advantage Philippines

National Parks - Advantage Philippines

Beaches - Advantage Philippines

Mountain Climbing - Advantage Philippines

Island Hopping - Advantage Philippines

Cheap tour around the country - Advantage Thailand (Philippines is an archipelago state)

--

For the information of everybody Philippines is NOT JUST manila. There are more than 7000 islands in the Philippines.

If you don't like dirt, pollution, flood, poor people, crime try, typhoon, calamity, earth quake, visiting Davao City.

If you like to party, enjoy safe red light districts try Cebu.

If you want surfing try Surigao.

There's a lot of places in the Philippines that you might not know.

--

As for thailand, I was only there for 7 days. Been to phuket, bangkok, crocodile park,. Thailand is only good when you really want to travel by land and visit many places.

As for the Philippines, there are so many places to visit and to choose from...

Philippines just gets worse and worse

and the beaches get more crowded with koreans

here in Pattaya they get more crowded with Russians.

To each country its own scourge, I guess :)

hahahaha... and where's that? in Cebu beaches? You can't just say Philippines as there's tons of beaches in the Philippines, and tons of cities with beaches

the most interesting story is why Philippines has to be hated by

s

Expats... even the far away country like Thailand hates us Y_Y

udonthani

lolo

solero

mr. whippy

farrang prince

did I miss someone?

Thailand is a more stable and safe.

have you checked the murder rate data recently? google it and then you will see RP is much more safer than your beloved Thailand

Edited by socafever

^maybe.... the members here cant google certain topics at the internet due to extensive campain of thai govt. to shield their kingdom from further humiliation?

as for the haters I think they have been trained by the kingdom of LOS that there is no flaw in their system. flaws and mistakes only applies to neighbors... I dont know

Cheap tour around the country - Advantage Thailand (Philippines is an archipelago state)

--

For the information of everybody Philippines is NOT JUST manila. There are more than 7000 islands in the Philippines.

If you don't like dirt, pollution, flood, poor people, crime try, typhoon, calamity, earth quake, visiting Davao City.

If you like to party, enjoy safe red light districts try Cebu.

If you want surfing try Surigao.

There's a lot of places in the Philippines that you might not know.

--

As for thailand, I was only there for 7 days. Been to phuket, bangkok, crocodile park,. Thailand is only good when you really want to travel by land and visit many places.

As for the Philippines, there are so many places to visit and to choose from...

Absolute crap, spend some time in Thailand and get to know it and you find your post is pointless.

Dont't get me wrong. Phils is nice place and so is Thailand. Have been living and working couple of years in Phils and several in Thailand.

The biggest difference is that Thailand is so easy to move around, even Bangkok when comparing to Manila. Both have beatiful beaches and provinces but to get there in Phils requires some effort. This naturally is partly a good thing as Phils is not that much over developed tourist trap than Thailand is in some places.

In safety Thailand wins clearly, try walking around in downtown Manila middle of the night... For those who have been moaning about police checks in Thailand lately, go to downtown manila or chat up couple of MAPSA guys while driving and report back...

• 1 month later...

can't help but sigh...all of your observations about the Philippines are true ( almost )...I really appreciate those who like the country for its people,places and culture. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. For those who hate the country, maybe due to bad experiences, I can't blame you but I think it's better for you to keep out of Philippine soil (or water).

I'm a Filipina working in Thailand. Unlike most of you, I didn't come here to see the sites and scenes of Thailand. I'm one of those people who seek greener pastures outside of my country. I can't wait for the time to go back and be with my family.

Just wish my country was as rich as your countries so that we will not have any beggars on the streets or so that the security officers in our malls, banks, and hotels wont have to bring big guns or so we don't have to work overseas and be separated from our families or so that we can prepare a beautiful and lovely place for you to visit...

Just wish my country has a government that is as blemished-free as your governments so that we can live in a corrupt-less society or so that we can have better infrastructures or so that we can have better hospital care etc so that on your next visit..you'd feel comfortable...

Sorry for the inconvenience and discomfort that you felt when you visited my country..It's really sad that my country was not able to satisfy your craving for clean, fun and exciting vacation...maybe we were just busy working so we can eat, we can have roof over our heads and we can have clothes on our body.... I think you really ought to stay in Thailand or some other countries in SE Asia.... We don't really need additional mouths to tell us how ugly and worst our country is....the People of the Philippines is already a handful....

I like Thailand but will not write about it anymore....you have stated how amazing Thailand is over and over and I will not write about the Philippines coz I'd be bias....

I like Thailand but I love the Philippines ( obviously !)

• 4 months later...

Well here is my unbiased rating. I traveled around Thailand for 2 months and lived and traveled in the Philippines most of my life

National Parks - Advantage Thailand - We don't have that many public parks for people. Infact, I only know one in Manila, which is Luneta

Cheap tour around the country - Advantage Thailand and it will stay that way

Road infrastructure - Advantage Thailand

Shopping/Malls - Advantage Thailand - Shopping is definitely cheaper in Thailand. As for malls, I find the malls in Thailand are concentrated in the Siam area but there's a variety of brands and choices. I find the malls in the Philippines convenient as there is always an SM near where you live - but its only good for running errands and grocery shopping. But shopping is still better in Thailand! Hehe.

I've traveled all over Thailand for 2 months, there are nice beaches, mountains etc. But I still would say more beautiful & unexplored places in the Philippines. Philippines is one of the most biodiverse rich countries in the world. For the person who said brown sand beaches only - you're kidding right? Obviously you haven't traveled much outside of Manila. Remember it's 7,107 islands. Diving is also one of the best in the world - Apo Islands, Tubattha Reef, Ship Wreck diving in Palawan. The only catch is you have to pay more as Philippines is not as touristy as Thailand (maybe I prefer it that way) and some places you can only reach by plane or boat, well boat is unsafe.

When my friends ask where to go in the Philippines, I usually advice to skip Manila. I also had to laugh when I was in Siam, one of my Swiss friend asked me to stop so she could take a picture of the "traffic" in Bangkok, I told her, that congestion is only moderate traffic in Manila.

As far as religion is concerned, I like that Thailand has less organized religion. I was raised a Catholic but just ended up an agnostic. The church meddles too much with the affairs of the state.

As far as Sex Tourism is concerned, no thanks. I'd rather keep them away from country.

Well maybe is the situation is bad now. Everyone is trying to leave, well most are overseas workers, who at the end of their diaspora, goes always back to the Philippines to retire. Maybe 50 years from now, we don't have to send our best professionals outside our country. Most overseas Filipino workers send money so they can send their children to school hoping that their kids wouldn't have to leave their families behind just to get a decent paying job.

Lucky you people, you only have to worry about what is the better food, which is the better beer, which has the better women :)

P.S. We don't have elephants in the Philippines, to this day I remain envious of my South East Asian neighbors :D . I like elephants

Edited by AdoboLove

• 1 month later...
can't help but sigh...all of your observations about the Philippines are true ( almost )...I really appreciate those who like the country for its people,places and culture. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. For those who hate the country, maybe due to bad experiences, I can't blame you but I think it's better for you to keep out of Philippine soil (or water).

I'm a Filipina working in Thailand. Unlike most of you, I didn't come here to see the sites and scenes of Thailand. I'm one of those people who seek greener pastures outside of my country. I can't wait for the time to go back and be with my family.

Just wish my country was as rich as your countries so that we will not have any beggars on the streets or so that the security officers in our malls, banks, and hotels wont have to bring big guns or so we don't have to work overseas and be separated from our families or so that we can prepare a beautiful and lovely place for you to visit...

Just wish my country has a government that is as blemished-free as your governments so that we can live in a corrupt-less society or so that we can have better infrastructures or so that we can have better hospital care etc so that on your next visit..you'd feel comfortable...

Sorry for the inconvenience and discomfort that you felt when you visited my country..It's really sad that my country was not able to satisfy your craving for clean, fun and exciting vacation...maybe we were just busy working so we can eat, we can have roof over our heads and we can have clothes on our body.... I think you really ought to stay in Thailand or some other countries in SE Asia.... We don't really need additional mouths to tell us how ugly and worst our country is....the People of the Philippines is already a handful....

I like Thailand but will not write about it anymore....you have stated how amazing Thailand is over and over and I will not write about the Philippines coz I'd be bias....

I was a first time visitor to Philippines in 2008. I was expecting Philippines to be fairly similar to Thailand infrastructure wise. I may have made observations similar to those which are critical of the country, however it's not because I 'hate' the country or felt that it spoiled my vacation. My feelings were more of sympathy in alot of ways in seeing the conditions you described. I wish the same thing for the Philippines as you do. It has alot of potential, wonderful people and they all deserve better. Although at times I found it difficult to cope while in the country, I hope and pray one day soon that your vision of the Philippines will come true. The people truly deserve it. God bless.

sweetprof24, I first traveled to the Philippines 3 years ago, had been travelling to Thailand since 1990, I have lived here in Thailand for the last 5 years.

I am with you, I like the Philippines. Very exciting country, lots to see and do. I was there just last week, was diving in Subic looking at WWII wrecks, on my next trip I want to dive with the whale sharks at Sorsogon. I look forward to a surf trip there.

In reading your post I felt badly, as yes, it hurts when people bad mouth your country ( I am American), but here on the Forum, people are allowed to state their opinions, so let the bad things people say bounce off of you because you and I both know, the Philippines is a great place.

All the best to you and all the Filipino people here in Thailand that might see this thread. "Sticks and stones can break my bones but words will never hurt me".

wow reading these comments have definitely added fuel to my paranoia.

im kind of surprised.. i was hoping that my country was a tad bit better than thailand..i mean its because of all the horror stories i heard about thailand (the prostitution etc)..i dont live in the main city (manila), i live in another city in the southern part of the phils..where there is hardly any form of entertainment aka hookers or the hanky panky stuff.

my boyfriend of 2 years is visiting me in a few weeks and ive decided to choose manila as our venue for the vacation, since its boring in my city. last time i was there, i was also badgered by a lot of cab drivers who ask me for so much even though i was a "local". cause they know i wasnt from the main city and such (they can tell by my accent :) )

i kind of feel a little bit stressed cause i dont want my bf to be turned off by it all. so im thinking of spending just 2 weeks there and bring him to my boring (yet safer) city.

9 years ago my family and i went to Indonesia, where my dad works in the phil. consulate..i loved the culture and how i did not see a lot of beggars. menado wasnt such a well developed city but it was clean and the food was good.

i went to australia alone to visit my friend in adelaide and it was very safe and very clean, but then again, that is australia.

ive also been to a lot of countries with a great deal of corruption and poverty, but this doesnt make me hate the country.. if anything it increases my admiration for the amazingly strong people who have to navigate that shit everyday of their lives just to survive. also, visiting some areas of the world.. has reminded me of how Western countries have really fuc_ked a lot of other countries over, and their responsibility to do more than look with disdain at the mess they created and distance ourselves from it as quickly as possible.

well i jsut wanna say, not everyone here in the phils. is a gun toting war freak, a hooker, a beggar, or an opportunistic heartless thief..it just varies. manila is a big city..where there are lots of things..its also more expensive there (the cost of living), thus it attracts a lot of criminals.

i am only hoping that the government fix the country soon, doubtful but it wouldnt hurt to hope.

despite all the bad things that other people can say about us..(being hookers or being cheap or dirty), at least more people are hospitable than other countries. if you go to the hospital bleeding they wont wait till u fill up a form or shell off cash.

a mature, developed country isn’t defined only by wealth and education; it is also about humanity and concern for others.

Edited by wheatbreadeater

• 2 weeks later...

So ..what exactly are you tryin to say?

That she's tired as hel_l of hearing people bad mouth her country, especially those that come to conclusions after only spending time in Manila.

• 10 months later...

To people who does not know the real essence of being a Filipino, pls. dont jump into conclusions.. though its true that corruption is prevalent in Manila (not in the provinces) and bad elements abound in the city (again not in the provinces)I could assure you that there are far more better people than the bad ones. Filipinos are more educated more caring and less pretentious than others. Food depends on where you eat, you just have to go to the right places, Thailand is a nice place I also love the foods but people there scares me a lot.

You just have to look beyond the superficial, I been to a lot of places around the globe I can tell you that they too have their own flaws sometimes even worst. so lets stop concluding

Edited by BillieSioco

Tough one, Thailand is cheaper but in Philippines English is more widely spoken, Thailand is more tourist friendly. When going to Philippines it's best to go to the provinces, Manila is crap really and expensive to stay compared to the rest of the country.

• 8 months later...

Gonna talk with a recruiter tomorrow who recruits people to an IT-Support center in the Phillipines tomorrow, dont know much about the company itself atm other then its a UK company with offices all over the world, in the phillipines they currently have 1000 ppl employed, now they are looking for IT-support ppl with my nationality, i see it as an opportunity, but my worst fears is that the office is based in Manila, would be surpriced if it wasnt.

Been living 13 months in Bangkok, and i like Bangkok alot, but reading this thread im a bit put down by the fact that Manila seems to be a shit hole. Anyone on this board who have lived a regular working life in manila, office work 40h/week, and can tell me how that experiance is like?

Would i be nuts by doing this?

Gonna talk with a recruiter tomorrow who recruits people to an IT-Support center in the Phillipines tomorrow, dont know much about the company itself atm other then its a UK company with offices all over the world, in the phillipines they currently have 1000 ppl employed, now they are looking for IT-support ppl with my nationality, i see it as an opportunity, but my worst fears is that the office is based in Manila, would be surpriced if it wasnt.

Been living 13 months in Bangkok, and i like Bangkok alot, but reading this thread im a bit put down by the fact that Manila seems to be a shit hole. Anyone on this board who have lived a regular working life in manila, office work 40h/week, and can tell me how that experiance is like?

It is a shit hole if your making 30k a month money. Same as Bangkok. If your in normal expat range and can afford to have a life it's quite good place to be. Get a apartment in Makati or Fort and your fine.

In thaivisa most of posts about phils seems to come from retired military who were based there in '60's or guys who can't afford Pattaya and have moved to Angeles.

Been living in Manila working three times in past 10 years and while decent accommodation is more actual cost of living is cheaper than in BKK.

It is a shit hole if your making 30k a month money. Same as Bangkok. If your in normal expat range and can afford to have a life it's quite good place to be. Get a apartment in Makati or Fort and your fine.

In thaivisa most of posts about phils seems to come from retired military who were based there in '60's or guys who can't afford Pattaya and have moved to Angeles.

Been living in Manila working three times in past 10 years and while decent accommodation is more actual cost of living is cheaper than in BKK.

Ya, we will see what kind of salary they can offer, how much do you need atleast to have a good life in Manila? Decent apartment, Eating out, Drinking beer on the weekend and i would like to be able to save few bucks every month aswell.

Please specify in both the local currency and in bath, if it aint to much of an hassle.

Well it depends.

Decent studio in Makati is propably 30k to 40k in pesos. Might get below that with bit of looking around and some luck.

1 baht buys you around 1.4 pesos. 1 eur around 57 pesos at the moment.

Another 40k to 50k peso per month just for living i.e. food, ciggies, beer and pocket money. But that's me, it depends.

To be noted that beer (only san mig but several types), ciggies are cheaper than in Thailand. Groceries from supermarket much cheaper. Depends on your age but nightlife is good if your in mid twenties to late thirties bracket.

So called BPO (Business Process Outsourcing) is big business in Phils. All those Deutche Bank and JP Morgan towers in Fort are not banks but call centers etc. Call centers, data entry and processing etc and i*m sure also IT support etc. Often night work to US etc and poorly paid for locals, 15k or so a month. There is foreign managers though and i'd assume they get paid decent money.

Well it depends.

Decent studio in Makati is propably 30k to 40k in pesos. Might get below that with bit of looking around and some luck.

Another 40k to 50k peso per month just for living i.e. food, ciggies, beer and pocket money. But that's me, it depends.

To be noted that beer (only san mig but several types), ciggies are cheaper than in Thailand. Groceries from supermarket much cheaper. Depends on your age but nightlife is good if your in mid twenties to late thirties bracket.

So called BPO (Business Process Outsourcing) is big business in Phils. All those Deutche Bank and JP Morgan towers in Fort are not banks but call centers etc. Call centers, data entry and processing etc and i*m sure also IT support etc. Often night work to US etc and poorly paid for locals, 15k or so a month. There is foreign managers though and i'd assume they get paid decent money.

Spoke with the recruiter.

75 000 Peso before tax, she said thats aproximatly 50 000 peso after tax. 20 days paid vacation, 40h/working week. Office located in Makati/Manila.

50 000 must be a bit tough to live on in Manila im sure.

They pay for the flight over, and they pay for one month accomodation once im there, untill i find my own place.

Well it depends.

Spoke with the recruiter.

75 000 Peso before tax, she said thats aproximatly 50 000 peso after tax. 20 days paid vacation, 40h/working week. Office located in Makati/Manila.

50 000 must be a bit tough to live on in Manila im sure.

They pay for the flight over, and they pay for one month accomodation once im there, untill i find my own place.

It's pretty much like Thailand, locals and English teachers can live of that.

• 1 month later...

the philippines is not an easy country to live. it is hardly comparable with thailand. it is positively third world and all the problems that go with that. I have been living in thailand for 11 years and although i don't have one thai male friend, I also haven't had the slightest problem with thai guys. only yesterday on the bus in the philippines (we are here on "vacation") we had this peanut seller come on the bus and give us all the shit about how poor he is and how we should buy his peanuts... we ignored him and got a torrent of abuse about how my wife (filipina) will fall down one day... this sort of stuff never happens in thailand. your average filipina is great and most of the guys are fine but you get shit here which doesn't happen in thailand. the place is so poor that some of the toilets have no water in the cubical so that you don't use too much.. that sort of thing gets you down eventually. they could have a great tourist industry but they can't stop scamming you. we got a taxi from manila to angeles and we paid up front including tolls.. as soon as we left the airport we had to pay for the toll.. just the first one.. 35 pisos .. not much but enough for a bad atmosphere the rest of the way.. the of course the hand out for the tip..... they just don't get how to handle a tourist industry.. and the thais pretty well do.. OK there are scams in thailand but mainly down south but nothing much compared to the philippines.. we couldn't even walk outside the hotel in manila as there were "snatchers" everywhere.. the police are involved in it.. how can you ever get a tourist industry if the law and order in your country in in partnership with scammers and thieves?

OK there are scams in thailand but mainly down south but nothing much compared to the philippines.. we couldn't even walk outside the hotel in manila as there were "snatchers" everywhere.. the police are involved in it.. how can you ever get a tourist industry if the law and order in your country in in partnership with scammers and thieves?

you mean scams in songkhla-haadyai, trang, pattani, yala, can you elaborate?

OK there are scams in thailand but mainly down south but nothing much compared to the philippines.. we couldn't even walk outside the hotel in manila as there were "snatchers" everywhere.. the police are involved in it.. how can you ever get a tourist industry if the law and order in your country in in partnership with scammers and thieves?

you mean scams in songkhla-haadyai, trang, pattani, yala, can you elaborate?

Yes good point. I mean the tourist centres in samui and phuket and the likes... i just never think thailand in general is that bad for scams, but of course they are there. Bar girl or "good thai girl" scams are another matter.

The philippines could never take a tourist industry to the levels that thailand has and be where thailand is today. They would ruin it before it got off the ground....starting with these annoying taxi touts on arrival.. It has got some of the best beaches in the world (Boracay) and English is widely understood. A crap room in Angeles cost us 2200 pesos (1800 baht) which would have cost about 500 baht in Thailand. Boracay..they wanted 3000 peso (2400 baht??) for a room without hot water in peak season... someone is making money and they don't care too much about the customer. Too much money is too few hands.. not enough ordinary people with access to capital to get businesses started I guess.

I have lived & worked in Philippines for 2 years & live at least 4 months of the year now in Thailand.

My thoughts : Philippines is a better place if you like beaches, diving & music. It’s more difficult to get around but worth the effort. It has an edgy raw kind of feel as soon as you land at the infamous airport. This is not a place for soft mainstream type tourists but it’s safe enough if you are careful. As mentioned many times you have to get away from Manila/Angeles/Barrio Baretto to see the real country , although it’s fun there too. My favourites are ; Bohol/Panglao island & Puerto Galera. Baguio & the central cordillera are spectacular. Cebu & nearby provinces have some of the best beaches and fascinating Spanish culture , also Northern Luzon (Vigan) Most places are not overrun with foreigners and the people are welcoming. The food can be great but you have to know what to order and where. If you are a seafood lover like me it is heaven.

I have a beautiful Thai partner & I’m happy in Thailand however Philippine girls are really special , in the past I have brought Philippines girls to Thailand on holiday , it is interesting to see their reaction to Thailand , both times I have done this the girls have liked Thailand more than their own country,,,,,,,,,,,,

I don’t disagree with you. I think there are simply big plusses and big minuses to the Philippines, but not much in the way of minuses in Thailand. Yes, Baguio is lovely and quite unique. I had a wonderful time in Bohol and the diving set up there was quite special. Puerto Galera I think is OK. A friend of mine tried to live there, but like most he ended up back in Thailand.

I am interested in this topic as I am playing with the idea of doing some business in the Philippines. One problem in the likes of Boracay is that there is no problem demarcation of land titles. In Thailand business is a non starter. Too much competition in any of the usual stuff that expats get up to and as I am married to a Filipina, it is difficult with work permits. To run a decent hotel in the Philippines I can’t see how you could fail. Comments please! There is a lack of good accommodation here and what there is much more expensive than Thailand. It is just that I don’t think I could hack living here. Once you have found your paradise (Chiang Mai), why leave?

The Philippines just doesn’t have the same charm as Thailand. You drive from Chiang Mai to Issan and journey is across boring landscape, but you always have magical experiences at the most simple places. I just don’t get them right now here in San Fernando, where we are now! This place is like Blackpool in the winter time..except the weather is perfect. You have to be British to understand that. They chucked out the Americans from here and the beach is deserted and there is precious little in the way of entertainment. It is a big city but there are no flights here as there are not enough people with money. There are though, big expensive resorts costing around 6000 baht a night. It makes no sense. There’s a little surfing area with Australians. I have no idea how that came about.

At the end of the day, I think well over 90% of Filipinas want the hell out of the Philippines and over 90% of Thais never want to leave Thailand. That says something.