Video: Big bike and small bike collide on way into Bangkok - three in hospital

webfact

Video: Big bike and small bike collide on way into Bangkok - three in hospital

10pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Head cam footage from the expressway section (lower level) of the Bang Na-Trat highway showed the moment a Yamaha M-Slaz collided with the back of a Honda MSX.

Thai Rath said that the rider of the bigger bike was Suphalert Kaewklom, 23, who had swapped bikes with another in his party.

Suphalert and the two women on the Honda - Duangjan Janreuang, 36, and Wijit Bunsong, 37 - all ended up in Jularat Hospital.

Duangjan was about to make a U-turn around 9pm last night.

The accident occurred on the inbound road at KM 35 in the area of Bang Pakong.

Thai Rath made a video of the accident and the aftermath at the local police station.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-14

28 minutes ago, missoura said:

U-turn?

Yes.

One night in Bangkok, RPM and steroid to the max.

uturn.jpg

Another victim of those damn U-turns.

When you see the sign be on HIGH ALERT.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Can't tell for sure but from the description and comparing to the video the accident might have happened around here (seen in daylight, construction work on the left and U-turn blocked at the time of capture):

https://goo.gl/maps/dPHRRHoB2Sx

It's under the Bang Na - Trad expressway.

It my assumption is right then it is another very dangerous U-turn without separate lane and space on the opposite.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yes.

One night in Bangkok, RPM and steroid to the max.

Another victim of those damn U-turns.

When you see the sign be on HIGH ALERT.

I would guess it helps to look at if the traffic in front of you are slowing down. Thought that was something that can´t be blamed on U-turns.
The driver is just blind.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Get Real said:

I would guess it helps to look at if the traffic in front of you are slowing down.

Of course but particularly when you see one these alarming U-turn signs.

I have looked through that stretch of road on streetview and indeed the U-turns are just gaps in the central reserve/divider. So the "fast" right lane will come to a full stop in many cases.

Very prone to such accidents.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kerryd said:

The "big bike" had been in the middle of the right lane and you can seen he moves to the left (right onto the same lane divider) when he sees the scooter ahead signalling that it is turning right. He was probably expecting the scooter to keep moving to the right like they were signalling that they were going to do. Had it done so the big bike would have breezed by on the left side of the scooter.

However it looks like the scooter didn't move and the big bike plowed into the back of it.

Yep, see this all the time, Thais just make assumptions about what another rider/driver is going to do.

Bikers in the West always assume the worst, Thais always assume the best. Cause of many accidents in Thailand.

• Like 1

I watched it a few times. Difficult to see exactly what happened.

I will pick up on 2 obvious driving errors that, in my opinion, were key to causing the accident.

1. The MSX's meandering drift right towards the U-turn was poor in many aspects. The speed differential was inherently dangerous. He appeared to be going perhaps 60 kmh slower than the traffic. He appeared to meander, perhaps through indecision, perhaps through the weight of his pillion passengers on a tiny bike. He totally failed to have a mental picture of the completed manouevre before he began it. He was just hesitantly edging across, using his indicator as a type of 'right of way' light. As a result he failed to get over hard right which is the place to be if you are turning right. The manouevre should probably have begun far earlier. (There is a safer more advanced way to deal with these difficult U-turns on fast-moving highways but this is beyond MSX man)

2. The M-Slaz (not a big bike by the way, it's a 150cc) faced with an idiot doing a dangerous manouevre failed to take any defensive driving action. Look behind? No. Brake early? No. What he did do is try to maintain his speed and keep going halfway between "I don't care, I have right of way" and "I'm having a blast with my mates" and "I reduce margins for error to millimetres". He only braked at the very last moment. Perhaps not paying attention too.

So, MSX made the initial problem and M-Slaz failed to avoid. BANG.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

The M-Slaz (not a big bike by the way, it's a 150cc

So annoying that, isn't it?

Read the headline, get to the meat of the matter and we are talking about a <deleted> 150cc transformer bike. Again.

Basically a learner legal bike in Europe & the West.