Advice about trip to HK

waxpro

Hey guys,

we are going to attend an event in Hong Kong by thr end of August,

the venue: Hyatt Regency Hong Kong, Tsim Sha Tsui.

we looking to make a booking for a place with reasonable price and close to Hyatt Recency,

done some search already, but do not much trust pictures on sites, 

used to book some hotels in KL and was terrible experience, with no cancel, no refund options.

so we need to avoid facing such experiences,

anyone of you been there before and stayed in a clean place with reasonable price, average 1000 - 1500/per day,

thank you for sharing, your advise highly appreciated!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

If that's THB,you quote and not $, try Chungking  Mansion on Nathan Road,

very good location,lots of small "hotels" inside,last time I was there quite a

few years ago a rat chewed into my bag to get at the Chocolate. maybe things

have gotten better ?

regards Worgeordie

Thanks, yeah, personal experience is very important,

the last year experience in KL, cockroaches running on the wall and above my head,, unbelievable how neglectful to be,

I am worrying to make full booking from now, or just book for 1 or 2 nights, then extend later? we'll stay for 6 days,

Thanks for the sharing

10 minutes ago, waxpro said:

the last year experience in KL, cockroaches running on the wall and above my head,, unbelievable how neglectful to be,

I am worrying to make full booking from now, or just book for 1 or 2 nights, then extend later? we'll stay for 6 days,

Thanks for the sharing

Not sure exactly where you need to be close to but I stayed at  South Pacific Hotel once in 2016 and the place was fine, clean and the room was a  "reasonable" size as many are very small. Wasnt overly expensive either. Just a  quick look and it seems 2-3000 a  night, maybe too  much for you?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294217-d305931-Reviews-South_Pacific_Hotel-Hong_Kong.html

Edited by kannot
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, kannot said:

Not sure exactly where you need to be close to but I stayed at  South Pacific Hotel once in 2016 and the place was fine, clean and the room was a  "reasonable" size as many are very small. Wasnt overly expensive either. Just a  quick look and it seems 2-3000 a  night, maybe too  much for you?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294217-d305931-Reviews-South_Pacific_Hotel-Hong_Kong.html

I mentioned to be close with Hyatt Regency hotel, the event venue,,

1000-1500 baht in HK is a very small budget. Look for a place in Mirador Mansions you should get a tiny room slightly bigger than a double bed and tiny bathroom, aircon and probably no windows. Mirador Mansions is always better choice than Chung King Mansion as there are many lifts and stairwells.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, waxpro said:

Thanks for the sharing

Personal experiences are indeed very important....so, you are ok with rats ....over cockroaches,...555

• Like 1

I go to some events there. Not many cheap plac s when there is an event on.

i check on line through Google on "Hotels Combined"  or Booking.Com.

they give a very large selection.

The taxis are very cheap and the underground railways are very good.

get you enywhere 

• Like 1

I doubt you'll find much at 1000-1500฿ in Kowloon. We stayed in Sav Hotel in Kowloon only 2 months ago - new, clean, handy to shops & cafes & restaurants, but our room was tiny. Can't remember the exact price but it was around $A100 a night so roughly 2400฿.

• Like 1

The Hyatt Regency is right next door to an MTR station.  The MTR lines can get busy but, from memory, start around 0530 ish and finish after midnight.  Broaden your search to other hotels next to an MTR station and you might decide it's worth the commute of 20-30 minutes for the cheaper hotel.  Use a search engine with your cost parameters then find out where the place is.

I lived in HK for over 30 years and happy to answer any queries you have by PM.

• Like 1

For at least 20yrs. I have regularly stayed in the Kimberly Hotel. It is very well located on Kimberly Road about 1 and an half blocks off Nathan Rd.  It is very clean, comfortable, and I feel modestly priced.  There is a free bus stop across the street which will take you to conveniently to the airport train station or take you to the hotel from the airport if you are arriving by plane.  Harbor City shopping is within an easy walking.distance.  I look forward to staying there again in a few months.  Hope this helps! 

• Like 1

It's school holidays in HK now until early Sept so hotels are expensive. ..anything half decent is going to be around B7-10,000+ per night in the TST area.

Just try Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda etc. Most have no up front payment and cancellation up until 24hrs before original booking date.

• Like 1

Yes the MRT makes travel from Kowloon to HKK very quick and cheap. Also very easy to use for english speakers. Use Agoda.com or booking.com and look for their "deals" you can also look around Central but more expensive than Kowloon

• Like 1

Whatever you do, avoid Chungking Mansions like a plague - a disease you could possibly catch by staying there and it's the ONLY place you'll get something at around your budget, Hong Kong is expensive.

Last time stayed at the Cityview, it's about 2,300 a night, close to transport and a nice hotel. You'll struggle to get anything below 2,000 a night. 

• Like 1

Virtually impossible to beat the prices in Chungking Mansions and probably impossible to get anything as cheap as close to your venue.

Yes there are bad places in C. M. But a lot of good ones too, they are on average around ¼ the price of regular hotels. For convenience get one of the hotels/ guesthouse/hostels on the 2nd 3rd or 4th floors so you don't have to wait for the lifts.

Some people hate C. M. quite possibly because of a bad experience, personally I like it and have had fun there.

Prices on line start at about 180 HK$ For a room.

• Sad 1

Nothing in your price range near the Hyatt or anywhere else in or near Central. Suggest AirBNB or raise your budget to about 6000 THB per night and that will be hard to find. Nomad (Ovolo) on Queens Rd. Central was the best I could find about three months ago.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2018 at 7:49 AM, worgeordie said:

If that's THB,you quote and not $, try Chungking  Mansion on Nathan Road,

very good location,lots of small "hotels" inside,last time I was there quite a

few years ago a rat chewed into my bag to get at the Chocolate. maybe things

have gotten better ?

regards Worgeordie

Chungking Mansions have been there 50 years and still use the same mattresses!! seriously it is a dump nowadays!

7 hours ago, AsiaHand said:

Try The Chung king Mansions on the Kowloon side. Cheapest in Hong Kong. Next the The Salisbury Hotel (was before The YMCA of Hong Kong.Once again on the Kowloon side.

Terrible place nowadays, cockroaches and rats everywhere, I'm not kidding!

Don't forget August is very, very  high humidity, so a clean air conditioner is a must!

Edited by Pdavies99

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Virtually impossible to beat the prices in Chungking Mansions and probably impossible to get anything as cheap as close to your venue.

Yes there are bad places in C. M. But a lot of good ones too, they are on average around ¼ the price of regular hotels. For convenience get one of the hotels/ guesthouse/hostels on the 2nd 3rd or 4th floors so you don't have to wait for the lifts.

Some people hate C. M. quite possibly because of a bad experience, personally I like it and have had fun there.

Prices on line start at about 180 HK$ For a room.

I've lived in Hong Kong, believe me Chungking Mansions is absolutely disgusting...Rats and cockroaches everywhere, read other post! 

Don't forget August is very, very  high humidity, so a clean air conditioner is a must!

On 8/14/2018 at 2:52 PM, CNXBKKMAN said:

1000-1500 baht in HK is a very small budget. Look for a place in Mirador Mansions you should get a tiny room slightly bigger than a double bed and tiny bathroom, aircon and probably no windows. Mirador Mansions is always better choice than Chung King Mansion as there are many lifts and stairwells.

Thanks, I booked at mirrador already, as said 9 sqm, with window, that's good enough, comparing to all around that area single rooms sizes between 5 - 7 sqm.

3 hours ago, waxpro said:

Thanks, I booked at mirrador already, as said 9 sqm, with window, that's good enough, comparing to all around that area single rooms sizes between 5 - 7 sqm.

I have stayed Mirador Mansions many times and spent the money i have saved on shopping instead. Good location right next TST MTR station, Kowloon Park is a stones throw away and a 10 min walk down to the harbour front and the Star Ferry. Chung Mansions is useful for changing money. Don't use the money changers near the street, walk right in and have a good look around, Best rates are found inside.