No copies of ID cards needed at govt agencies from September: PM Prayut

webfact

No copies of ID cards needed at govt agencies from September: PM

PNPOL610814001000601.jpg

BANGKOK, 15 August 2018 (NNT) – The Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha confirmed that all government agencies and ministries will stop calling for copies of ID cards from September. 

Government Spokesman Lt Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd said the premier urged all ministries to proceed with the policy to stop requiring the general public making contacts with government agencies to produce a photocopy of their ID card or house census paper. 

Government agencies were instructed to follow such policy by the end of August and to evaluate the new service which may need some refinements. 

The premier assured each government agency has to deploy an official responsible for the identity verification of people by inserting their ID card into a reader connected to a central database. This process will have to be done with high security measures to protect personal information.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-08-15

14 minutes ago, kotsak said:

Hopefully the immigration can learn something from this so we don't need to bring copies of everything that has remain unchanged for the past decades.. My file at their office starts looking like a encyclopedia Britannica volume. But TIT so..

I agree. I notice you say 'hopefully' but..

29 minutes ago, webfact said:

"premier urged all ministries to proceed with the policy to stop requiring the general public making contacts with government agencies to produce a photocopy of their ID card or house census paper."

Firstly I see it only says "urged", and secondly this is for Thais, for "identity verification of people by inserting their ID card into a reader."

Perhaps it might be of help for ferangs with a pink ID card, but immigration are interested in passports and visas.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

I am happy to concede giving a big tick to the PM on this initiative. But I will hold back and wait to see if his plan succeeds. His track record suggests it won't.

Track record? How about this one, the 'six months' was up yesterday. I know it was Prawit who used it as Ye Olde Photo and PR Opportunity. Oddly enough I haven't seen anything publicising it, even though the TM6 is now no longer in use, everyone is being fingerprinted...oops, my mistake.

They're hoping everyone has forgotten about it:

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

They may not see the funny side of that. :shock1: :giggle:

Probably not at this time! wait a few years - in China now you can use "wechat" (Chinese whatsapp) as proof of social status and financial wellbeing, everything we do is tracked, may as well use the tracking now rather than later ?

• Haha 1

Meanwhile, the administration is looking for ways how to forthwith give soon-to-be-idle bureaucrats and other assorted paper pushers something meaningful to do. An ideal solution discussed to resolve the problem has been to simply increase the amount of document copies foreigners living in the country are required to submit during each and every single visit to a government office. "They are already used to producing a whole ream of documents anyway and certainly won't mind having to hand in a few additional copies of everything from their passports to their birth certificates and anything in-between," an official asserted, speaking on condition of anonymity. 

• Haha 2

In OZ they want everyone to sign up to a health card. I am on some strong pain management meds. I don't believe I will be better off with the medical staff knowing my history.

Thursday week ago, I went in for a sleep study. The short story was that the manager patronised me. The first time I asked he not speak to me like that; second time I said that is not nice to say; third time I just said get the f### out of my face. Ran off yelling back at me I will get security and your out of here. He said he read my file? Any way 4 security guards later, Mexican standoff. I just said I want to speak to the doctor in charge and if anyone touches me I would sue there backsides off. I was not shown my rights and short of being tared and feather they were in the wrong. Yes I got to stay and do the study. And I haven't finished with this treatment.

I get scared when Government wants to know more than what you want them to know particularly when you have no rights. That's just me.

7 hours ago, kotsak said:

Hopefully the immigration can learn something from this so we don't need to bring copies of everything that has remain unchanged for the past decades.. My file at their office starts looking like a encyclopedia Britannica volume. But TIT so..

I always wonder where the warehouses are the hold the forest worth of paper submitted to immigration.

A big step towards total control of everything !

No copies needed as the data goes directly [in real time] into the system !

... Technocracy is coming fast [And people are stupid enough to think it's a good thing !!!]

A wet dream come true for any Government. All data available in real time at any time everywhere.

7 hours ago, kotsak said:

Renewing work permits another good example. 

Plus all of these copies quickly go somewhere to be stored, that storage must be costing billions of Baht a year.

1 hour ago, brain150 said:

... Technocracy is coming fast [And people are stupid enough to think it's a good thing !!!]

A wet dream come true for any Government. All data available in real time at any time everywhere.

Governments have nothing on facebook, google, etc. We're all already profiled and under surveillance all the time.

9 hours ago, Stradavarius37 said:

One small step in making the huge amount of stupid paperwork a little less.....

As a farang, I have my reservation on this policy.  Can you imagine each time you have to ask your landlord for his original ID to to go to the Immigration Dept to do a TM30 report?  Worse still he has to be there in person to verify his identity!

13 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Firstly I see it only says "urged", and secondly this is for Thais, for "identity verification of people by inserting their ID card into a reader."

Perhaps it might be of help for ferangs with a pink ID card, but immigration are interested in passports and visas.

Who or what is a ferang?

4 hours ago, Puccini said:

Who or what is a ferang?

You don't live in Thailand then? Hmm, I see you joined TV nine years ago, you must surely have seen it on the forum in that time, and in 1,560 posts?

It's a very commonly used word in Thailand, even allowing for the various spelling options - ferang, farang, falang, etc,.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farang

On 8/15/2018 at 9:02 AM, bluesofa said:

Well.. They have the passport scanners/readers already.. Although I doubt they can see any usable data, like visa or residence. But they could build a database and link to the passports. But then again, that would be work. Better to have the foreigners do that, copying everything every time. Even though I wonder about all that paperwork sometimes. It must be a vast ocean of papers building up with numerous sets of identical papers.

4 hours ago, Lowryderen said:

Well.. They have the passport scanners/readers already.. Although I doubt they can see any usable data, like visa or residence. But they could build a database and link to the passports. But then again, that would be work. Better to have the foreigners do that, copying everything every time. Even though I wonder about all that paperwork sometimes. It must be a vast ocean of papers building up with numerous sets of identical papers.

see my post #6 earlier in this thread:

<sarcasm alert>

It's all in hand - in fact it must have been work for the past two days now according to Prawit's statement six months ago.

</sarcasm alert>

• Haha 1

On 8/15/2018 at 10:23 AM, stanleycoin said:

Nah

The paper work is only going to increase , same as it does every year or so.

What you reckon next.

Medical cert ? Plus 10 copies.

Insurance cert ? Plus 10 copies.

Birth cert ? plus 10 copies.

Finger prints, plus 10 copies.

Retinal scan, Plus 10 copies.

GPS Tracker test cert, plus 10 copies

DNA, sample , plus 10 copies

Stool and urine sample, Plus 10 copies. ( will leave under pants at desk ) :giggle:

They have loads of options to choose from.

If they need a sperm sample, just leave your pants as well!