What is That above a car number plate ???

Tchooptip

What I did not mention, when I took the picture with my telephone a Thai man came running to me, looking very angry, telling me why take photo? cannot, with a big smile, in Thai, sorry I was just curious because I never saw that before, I intended to ask a friend, new big smile, no problem I will delete it, new big smile. So he turned on his heels without another word. 

But due to some answers, the police do not care about this device not really discreet?

1 minute ago, johng said:

No the police don't care...because its just some LED lights to illuminate the number plate at night.

Of course...if its true,  but some previous answers seem to be different, that is why I said so!  

55 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

I suspect the man may have been more concerned about the plate. This is a very old plate. He has either purchased it or it's fake.

What's wrong with the plate?

Green on white, completely normal for a 2 door pickup.

Here from Songkla province.

And if it's 20 years old it is still not exceptional.

On the lower right you see the embossed seal of the DLT.

Fine to me.

2 hours ago, johng said:

L.E.D  lights  maybe the owner thinks the lights can blind the traffic cameras...so they can speed and jump red lights with not a care.

LED lights yes. Purpose blinding? Might be. Uncertain.

5 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

What's wrong with the plate?

Completely normal for a 2 door pickup.

Here from Songkla province.

There's nothing wrong with it. It is the number of letters and number of numerals that tells me it is an old plate. Does its date of issue match the age of the pick-up? If not, it is a purchased plate (Thais call them "beautiful numbers"). They command a high price. Due to the value aspect, there is, unsurprisingly, a market in fake plates, not necessarily to commit armed robberies, just either to show off or to sell as the real thing with fake documents.

Since the owner got all shirty about photos, I am speculating there is a possibility he is concerned about the plate not the camera or LED set up.

Edit : I have just noticed the two blurred-out extra numerals. Ignore the plate theory.

Nothing wrong with the plate. I have the same 2 letters 4 numbers, ( not the same as this one) ?? Different province. Looks like it has had a bit of a hard life. 

What I have noticed a lot lately is plates where the numbers seem to be rubbed back to the same color as the plate. Very hard to see. Either the black on white or the green on white. If I get a chance I look at the other plate and it's the same. Another camera scam or hard to read at speed. 

On 8/15/2018 at 3:07 PM, Briggsy said:

There's nothing wrong with it. It is the number of letters and number of numerals that tells me it is an old plate. Does its date of issue match the age of the pick-up? If not, it is a purchased plate (Thais call them "beautiful numbers"). They command a high price. Due to the value aspect, there is, unsurprisingly, a market in fake plates, not necessarily to commit armed robberies, just either to show off or to sell as the real thing with fake documents.

Since the owner got all shirty about photos, I am speculating there is a possibility he is concerned about the plate not the camera or LED set up.

Edit : I have just noticed the two blurred-out extra numerals. Ignore the plate theory.

"am speculating there is a possibility he is concerned about the plate not the camera or LED set up".

You'll notice that I've erased the last two numbers just in case, but in the end, I still do not know for sure what was the point of this weird thing  ...While recognizing that it does not matter at all. :smile:

On 8/15/2018 at 1:00 PM, secondfusilier said:

It's a tilting license plate holder.

The brand D1 Spec) is a boy racer type brand.

1.jpg?2029

It looks like he has added his own gordy LED lights to it.

Probably a "rear" plate holder that would of course incorporate lights to illuminate the plate, possibly missing a cover/reflector. Who knows why somchai has put it on the front.

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:07 PM, Briggsy said:

Numbers on "green" plates have next to no value to owners of normal cars. 

Nothing wrong with the plate. I have the same 2 letters 4 numbers, ( not the same as this one) [emoji3][emoji3] Different province. Looks like it has had a bit of a hard life. 
What I have noticed a lot lately is plates where the numbers seem to be rubbed back to the same color as the plate. Very hard to see. Either the black on white or the green on white. If I get a chance I look at the other plate and it's the same. Another camera scam or hard to read at speed. 

Thais put gold leaf from the Temples over to Nos to fool the Camera to.[emoji327]

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

I like the high quality wiring. 

This looks like the front of vehicle? Cameras take photos of rear plate or front plate?

I just realise it was at the front, I reckon I'm not a good observer, it should change a lot of the guessings.

Supposedly I will see it again if the chap is not far I will ask him this time. With, plenty of smiles and a little polite joking one can ask almost everything in this country. I do not say I'll get the right answers of course, but just there is no danger to ask like that.

13 minutes ago, elgenon said:

What kind of vehicle has a "grill" in the back? 

13 minutes ago, elgenon said:

What kind of vehicle has a "grill" in the back? 

None:smile:

see my answer I do not know how it was published I edited it, of course, it was at the front

Archived