Extension based on having a child in LOS

About to go and do my yearly extension of OA visa based on having a child for the first time. Previously extended based on retirement.

I am legitimised in the courts and its registered at the amphur. His mother and I were not married and left long ago for parts unknown. He lives with me full time. 2 years 6 months. Ive had over 400k thb in the bank for 3 months...tho I beleive the requirement is only required in the bank on the day you apply...

I understand I will need to take all legitmacy docs, his thai birth certificate, all my docs, copies of everything afforementioned of course....photos showing my son lives with me, Tabien baan.....

Anything Ive forgotten?

Lady said I can apply 45 days before stay until date...is that correct?

Birth certificate and all other docs originals but only have a copy of the Tabien Baan. Is a copy TB OK?

They gave me a yellow form to fill out I assume detailing whats required but its in Thai. Is there an English version I can download?

Im not in contact with the mother. I am hoping I dont need her signature or approval?

Any other advice appreciated

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Good luck Kenny.

I believe a copy to be sufficient because I recall doing an extension/non O for 3 months based on child and not having tabien bahn original as it is with my Mrs family.

The only differences is my extension/visa was done for a 90 day visit.

Just to confirm is this a non O yearly which you will be obtaining outside thailand?

If so, where will you be obtaining it?

Will you be taking the child to obtain it?

Just want to open this up to more scrutiny in terms of process so you are prepared.

For example; if your taking kid outside thailand are you going to get hassle if they try to say you need your ex's consent even if you have secured legitimate rights?

Perhaps you already have that consent from the ex?

Good luck Kenny.

I believe a copy to be sufficient because I recall doing an extension/non O for 3 months based on child and not having tabien bahn original as it is with my Mrs family.

The only differences is my extension/visa was done for a 90 day visit.

Just to confirm is this a non O yearly which you will be obtaining outside thailand?

If so, where will you be obtaining it?

Will you be taking the child to obtain it?

Just want to open this up to more scrutiny in terms of process so you are prepared.

For example; if your taking kid outside thailand are you going to get hassle if they try to say you need your ex's consent even if you have secured legitimate rights?

Perhaps you already have that consent from the ex?
I already have an OA visa which I obtained in Australia 4 years ago. Previously did yearly extensions based on retirement. Nothing to do with leaving the country etc. Just want to know what I should take with me.

Can I apply 45 days before my stay until date Joe? (22nd September). If I apply now does that mean my new extension kicks in now or starts 22nd again?

27 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Can I apply 45 days before my stay until date Joe? (22nd September). If I apply now does that mean my new extension kicks in now or starts 22nd again?

Not sure Khon Kaen immigration allows applying 45 days early. For most offices it is 30 days.

You extension will start from the 22nd no matter how early you apply.

You will be given a under consideration stamp with report back date 30 days from September 22 (done at most office in Isaan others from the date you appy).

You may have a house visit by immigration during after the extension application accepted.

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

I already have an OA visa which I obtained in Australia 4 years ago. Previously did yearly extensions based on retirement. Nothing to do with leaving the country etc. Just want to know what I should take with me.

45 days is fine.

You cannot switch from extension of stay on a retirement visa.

you must leave the country, obtain a new non-O visa then begin the process of getting the extension based on a Thai child. 

I did the switch 4 years ago. Not that complicated. 

Main thing you need is the court order confirming your parental rights.

other than that not real complicated.

2 benefits over retirement.

you can get a work permit

you only need 400k and you don’t have to age it.

1 minute ago, Mike Harley said:

you must leave the country, obtain a new non-O visa then begin the process of getting the extension based on a Thai child. 

That is incorrect info. All that is is needed is a non immigrant visa entry which he got from his non-oa visa some ago. Not sure who told you that you had to go out for new non-o visa.

• Like 1

On a related subject, OP,

Since Thai law gives 100% authority to the mother (whether the father is Thai or not, whether the paternity is legitimized or not), and since you say the mother has disappeared, I would suggest that you go to the family court and get FULL custody of the child.  Otherwise, they will be nagging you for the mother's signature for various school-, health-, and travel-related procedures.

I will admit that I am not an expert at this.  But as the non-official guardian of a Thai child, I know how often I've had to get the mother's signature.

Keep us posted, if you don't mind.

I did the switch 4 years ago. Not that complicated. 

Main thing you need is the court order confirming your parental rights.

other than that not real complicated.

2 benefits over retirement.

you can get a work permit

you only need 400k and you don’t have to age it.

Thanks Joe. And thanks Mike for the info re work permit. I didnt know that.

As far as ageing yes technically you only need the money in the bank on the day you apply. My imm office KK however are insisting on 2 months. Dont know why but they wont budge on it. Have seen similar reports of 1 - 2 months requirement of money in the bank too. Could possibly argue the point but last people I want to make waves with are immigration

On a related subject, OP,

Since Thai law gives 100% authority to the mother (whether the father is Thai or not, whether the paternity is legitimized or not), and since you say the mother has disappeared, I would suggest that you go to the family court and get FULL custody of the child.  Otherwise, they will be nagging you for the mother's signature for various school-, health-, and travel-related procedures.
I will admit that I am not an expert at this.  But as the non-official guardian of a Thai child, I know how often I've had to get the mother's signature.

Keep us posted, if you don't mind.
Ive looked into it mate re full custody. Its expensive (70-100k thb) and thats only if there are no issues and the mother agrees. 2 different lawyers have told me 2 different stories. One told me with her history (3 other abandoned kids, 2 failed marriages, mental health history, very bad family, very bad work history and basically a train wreck of a life) it would be a cake walk. Another told me even with all of that stuff unless I had rock solid evidence and history of drug use or physical abuse to the child...if she contested would be a 50 / 50 chance at best. Apart from that my sons only 2.5 yrs old and very hard for Thais to beleive a man can take care of a child that young. Ive taken care of him since he was 4 months old.

The mother is contactable to a point and still living in Thailand. She sticks her head up every now and then but for the most part I choose not to have any contact with her

1 hour ago, Mike Harley said:

Incorrect.

You can switch between an extension based on retirement/marriage/Thai child at Immigration provided you match the criteria and the financial requirements.

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

Ive looked into it mate re full custody. Its expensive (70-100k thb) and thats only if there are no issues and the mother agrees. 2 different lawyers have told me 2 different stories. One told me with her history (3 other abandoned kids, 2 failed marriages, mental health history, very bad family, very bad work history and basically a train wreck of a life) it would be a cake walk. Another told me even with all of that stuff unless I had rock solid evidence and history of drug use or physical abuse to the child...if she contested would be a 50 / 50 chance at best. Apart from that my sons only 2.5 yrs old and very hard for Thais to beleive a man can take care of a child that young. Ive taken care of him since he was 4 months old.

The mother is contactable to a point and still living in Thailand. She sticks her head up every now and then but for the most part I choose not to have any contact with her

Not quiet true if you have the OK from the mother it should not cost you that much

Only cost me 10000 baht for a lawyer and 2000 for an interpreter 

Not quiet true if you have the OK from the mother it should not cost you that much
Only cost me 10000 baht for a lawyer and 2000 for an interpreter 
Understand all that but very unsure that I would get her ok. Shes still holding out hope we'll get back together. In the future of coarse Ill broach the subject. She has other children that she hasnt seen for years living with the father and hes asked her the same question for years. Part of it her stupid beleif that she is maintaining control of the child and in her old age the children will want to take care of her. The childs welfare wont come into it

On 8/16/2018 at 7:24 AM, ubonjoe said:

A copy of the child's tambien ban will be accepted.

Not sure what the yellow form is for. It may be a statement you need to complete.

You may need proof you have custody of your child.

Do you know if there is an application form I can download and fill out to take with me to save time or is this done at immigration Joe? I had a look on the Thai imm website but the list of forms and applications that can be downloaded are all in Thai 5555

14 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Do you know if there is an application form I can download and fill out to take with me to save time or is this done at immigration Joe? I had a look on the Thai imm website but the list of forms and applications that can be downloaded are all in Thai 5555

To apply for the extension of stay it is the standard TM7 form used for all extensions. Fillable TM7 form.pdf

On 8/17/2018 at 10:19 AM, Kenny202 said:

Understand all that but very unsure that I would get her ok. Shes still holding out hope we'll get back together. In the future of coarse Ill broach the subject. She has other children that she hasnt seen for years living with the father and hes asked her the same question for years. Part of it her stupid beleif that she is maintaining control of the child and in her old age the children will want to take care of her. The childs welfare wont come into it

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and maybe my message will be rejected by the moderators... but here goes.

You may be able to motivate your child's mother in some way... if you know what I mean... If the motivation were big enough, you might get her to sign the papers to award you full custody.  If her concern is with her old age, well, there are certain options.

My concerns are with the child.  If you're the de-facto single guardian, then it would be best that you have full freedom to raise the child as you see fit.  It kills me that I cannot take mine abroad (I am not a blood relative, nor even an in-law, so no way possible, it looks like child trafficking, we tried), and it would be shame for you to be blocked from showing him/her the world.

Motivation.  What might motivate the mother?

Good luck to you.

Just one more thing Joe, talking to my friend yesterday and he is living here indefinitely, but under 50 so doesn't qualify for retirement. He does have a 50% Thai child who was born in Australia but has Thai nationality too. She is fully grown and living in Australia. He makes a yearly visa based on having Thai family....but is required to leave the country and return every three months. His daughter doesn't even live here and she certainly doesn't live with him. He couldn't really explain to me how this works.

He says he doesn't need to provide proof of income etc and only shows a copy of his daughters birth certificate at immigration when returning.

Not now, but It could be a suitable option for me in the future.

Could you tell me a bit about this visa?

1) I assume I would have to forfeit my retirement or current OA visa?

2) Would I apply for this in Thailand or would need to apply from Australia?

3) Are there any requirements to apply? Money in the bank, son living with me everyday etc?

4) Is it something you can do indefinitely?

Any other info you can provide appreciated

17 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Could you tell me a bit about this visa?

He is getting a multiple entry non-o visa that allows 90 day entries for one year from the date of issue based upon being the parent of Thai.

Since he says he does not need financial proof I suspect he is applying for it in Australia. The only nearby location that will issue one is Penang and they want to see 400k baht in the bank.

The apply for the multiple entry non-o visa would only require their birth certificate and a copy of their house book registry. No need for anything more other than financial proof dependent upon where you apply for it.

He is getting a multiple entry non-o visa that allows 90 day entries for one year from the date of issue based upon being the parent of Thai.

Since he says he does not need financial proof I suspect he is applying for it in Australia. The only nearby location that will issue one is Penang and they want to see 400k baht in the bank.

The apply for the multiple entry non-o visa would only requires their birth certificate and a copy of their house book registry. No need for anything more other than financial proof dependent upon where you apply for it.

Might be getting my wires crossed. Is there a 3 month visa based on family available at any border just by showing a birth certificate? If so will they renew it indefinitely ie visa run

10 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Might be getting my wires crossed. Is there a 3 month visa based on family available at any border just by showing a birth certificate? If so will they renew it indefinitely ie visa run

You cannot get a visa at any border crossing.

Vientiane and Savannakhet will issue a single entry non-o visa based upon being the parent of a Thai by showing your child's births certificate and a copy of their house book registry.

Many people are the getting the single entry non-o visa, then extending the 90 day entry from it for 60 days to visit their child and then another non-o visa.

Went to immigration to lodge everything today. Thought I had all my stuff together based on what they told me last week but seems the info they required was more specific. I wish they would have told me..I'll share here for the benefit of anyone contemplating the same thing...

3 photos....all of me with the child....Front of our home, in the bedroom and the living room

A hand drawn map of where I live. A google map printed no good according to them. That one will be interesting as our main road is simply called "Rural Road" and I don't write or read Thai so difficult to add landmarks such as schools or temples

My son has to be present. They clearly told me last week this wasn't required. 

I went to the bank this morning and got a statement going back 3 months showing I had maintained a balance over 400k THB last three months. I got this signed and stamped by the bank.

This was rejected. They want a "retter" from the bank stating my balance has been over 400k THB last month. Signed and stamped. They also want a print out of my passbook. I had enough trouble just getting a statement from the bank this morning. The bank was looking at me like this was highly unusual. Staff pow wows ensued. The supervisor was summoned. I had to sign three papers and provide a copy of my passport and pay 100 baht commission. Took 30 minutes to get a bloody bank statement. They will spin off into orbit tomorrow when I ask them for a "retter". Really annoying as I clearly remember taking a copy of my passbook last year ...they rejected it and sent me back to get a signed statement.

By the way, I was under the assumption the money only had to be in on the day when doing an extension for a child. The told me last week 2 months. Today they said one month ok.

I'm sorry now I didn't just go to Bkk and get a stat dec from the embassy. A visa issued to the parent of a Thai should be the easiest to obtain and most legitimate reason you could have for living here. 

Surely it is in the interests of the mother and the child that the father is living here, whether separated or not. If the father is here he would under normal circumstances be providing support and care for the child. I am his sole carer, have been since 4 months so no question he lives with me full time. I was wondering what a father would do if he was under the 50yo retirement age and maybe share cared the child? 

Anyway, when has logic or rational thinking ever come into anything here. Supposed to be retired. I spend half of my life arsing about with government stuff. Visa, licenses, registrations, vehicle transfers. 3 days a couple of weeks ago just to transfer a motorcycle into my name. There was no problem...everything straight forward. When the women could see I was getting agitated after the 2nd day she kept saying...step step

Edited by Kenny202

2 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Went to immigration to lodge everything today. Thought I had all my stuff together based on what they told me last week but seems the info they required was more specific. I wish they would have told me..I'll share here for the benefit of anyone contemplating the same thing...

3 photos....all of me with the child....Front of our home, in the bedroom and the living room

A hand drawn map of where I live. A google map printed no good according to them. That one will be interesting as our main road is simply called "Rural Road" and I don't write or read Thai so difficult to add landmarks such as schools or temples

My son has to be present. They clearly told me last week this wasn't required. 

I went to the bank this morning and got a statement going back 3 months showing I had maintained a balance over 400k THB last three months. I got this signed and stamped by the bank.

This was rejected. They want a "retter" from the bank stating my balance has been over 400k THB last month. Signed and stamped. They also want a print out of my passbook. I had enough trouble just getting a statement from the bank this morning. The bank was looking at me like this was highly unusual. Staff pow wows ensued. The supervisor was summoned. I had to sign three papers and provide a copy of my passport and pay 100 baht commission. Took 30 minutes to get a bloody bank statement. They will spin off into orbit tomorrow when I ask them for a "retter". Really annoying as I clearly remember taking a copy of my passbook last year ...they rejected it and sent me back to get a signed statement.

By the way, I was under the assumption the money only had to be in on the day when doing an extension for a child. The told me last week 2 months. Today they said one month ok.

I'm sorry now I didn't just go to Bkk and get a stat dec from the embassy. A visa issued to the parent of a Thai should be the easiest to obtain and most legitimate reason you could have for living here. 

Surely it is in the interests of the mother and the child that the father is living here, whether separated or not. If the father is here he would under normal circumstances be providing support and care for the child. I am his sole carer, have been since 4 months so no question he lives with me full time. I was wondering what a father would do if he was under the 50yo retirement age and maybe share cared the child? 

Anyway, when has logic or rational thinking ever come into anything here. Supposed to be retired. I spend half of my life arsing about with government stuff. Visa, licenses, registrations, vehicle transfers. 3 days a couple of weeks ago just to transfer a motorcycle into my name. There was no problem...everything straight forward. When the women could see I was getting agitated after the 2nd day she kept saying...step step

Just to be clear. I think retter means a letter.

Good luck with it all it sounds like it will be solved soon enough. Worth it I'm sure.

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 7:12 PM, Kenny202 said:

Hi Kenny,

Why would you want to go down that road, having to leave your child and the country every 90 days. When if you keep the extension of stay you only have to report to the Immigration every 90 days

34 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Just to be clear. I think retter means a letter.

Good luck with it all it sounds like it will be solved soon enough. Worth it I'm sure.

Hi Kenny,

I bank with the SCB, they have a standard template letter which the have prepared for the immigration. I just pop in and explain to the person on the counter that I am attending the immigration office for visa extension renewal, and require a letter. Normally it takes around 15 minutes tops. Last time at Khon Kaen immigration they asked for copy of the passbook updated that day. I just nipped across the road to the University ( nearest ATM), an updated the pass book.

Kenny,

I  gave up trying to get the "retter" from my local bank branch.  It was always a hassle. 

If your bank has a branch office at the government complex at Chaeng Wattana (most of them do), you can get the bank statement (it's a letter, actually) there.  It's always 100 baht.  Before asking for the statement/letter, be sure to have them deposit some money into the account, so you have a transaction on the day of requesting anything from immigration (immigration requires that, 100 baht is the standard amount).  And in the branch at Chaeng Wattana, they know the drill, so they will graciously give you a photocopy of the statement/letter AND a photocopy of the bankbook.

Keep up the good fight, Kenny, it will be worth it in the end!

22 minutes ago, heretostay said:

If your bank has a branch office at the government complex at Chaeng Wattana (most of them do), you can get the bank statement (it's a letter, actually) there.

He is in Isaan so it would be a very long trip to do it at Chaeng Wattana.