Sukhumvit Middle East takeover?

CG1 Blue

Sorry if this has been done before.

Just spent a couple of days in Sukhumvit, staying in Soi 11. The hotel was rammed with Muslim families, with women in hijabs and niqabs at every turn. It was a similar picture out on the streets; there and all the surrounding sois.

I always knew there were pockets of Suk dedicated to the Arabs, but for the first time I felt they were the majority.

I have two questions for learned TV members; firstly could this have been a one off, or is it like this all the time now? And secondly, why would women from that cultural background want to spend time in a place like Sukhumvit? I mean, no offence to those who live there, but if you take away the party scene and all the drinking holes you’re left with a smelly, congested, rat infested part of town. And those robed women are not there for nights at Nana Plaza!

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Life under muslim rule of islamic sharia laws are tough and rigid, what they can do hear and get away with it noway near to what they be allowed to do over there, and for hem Thailand is a welcome break from all the scrutinising eyes back in the old country... see Pattaya where the boys from the gulf and the emirate and Saudi are really letting their hair down there big time...

39 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I have two questions for learned TV members; firstly could this have been a one off, or is it like this all the time now? And secondly, why would women from that cultural background want to spend time in a place like Sukhumvit?

Not sure... but I do know there's more sex toys for sale around there than you can shake a pink stick at. 

14 hours ago, dabhand said:

This is the hot season in the Gulf. The exodus is a yearly event at this time of year. You will find similar hordes in KL and certain parts of London with their flashy cars.

Bingo.  July and August can see temps well in to the mid 40s in the Middle East so folk in that part of the world venture to the likes of Thailand for the comparatively "cool" weather.

I spoke to several of them at the smokinglounge Dubai airport where they were sitting with 20 taxfree bags...They told me it was too hot so they all go out...Those guys have plenty money so why not?

What i don't understand is why they go to sukhumvit BKK instead of any better place on earth. What can they do on sukhumvit if they're not allowed to drink and even bring their wives.? I guess they come for shopping, mostly see them in Central Chidlom which even plays arab music over the speakers for them.

30 minutes ago, Thian said:

What i don't understand is why they go to sukhumvit BKK instead of any better place on earth. What can they do on sukhumvit if they're not allowed to drink and even bring their wives.?

It's a patriarchal culture, so the women aren't making the decisions. And pretty much the entire district around soi 3 allows them a quick and discreet "massage" while their wives are shopping.

Archived