Nonsense English exam answers

mii maker

19 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

In Canada, US, and UK we have huge numbers of immigrants.

Governments trying to help them assimilate offer ESL classes in all sorts of community centres.

I've said this before: Thailand is an EFL environment, NES countries are ESL environments.

Entry level "qualifications", including CELTA, will not make you aware of the difference. CELTA is an ESL qualification for teaching adults in NES countries.

Thailand government schools require EFL teachers for children.

I've had numerous "teachers" who have applied for jobs who are not even aware there is a difference.  And I've never seen these professional issues discussed on this forum either. It seems to be taboo to discuss professional issues on this forum.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

Define qualified.

Simple, qualified to work as a teacher in a government school in your own country.

And I'll even try a definition of "semi-qualified": enough to get a waiver in Thailand for a few years, but below the level of qualifications required of the Thai teachers that you work with.

27 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

I've said this before: Thailand is an EFL environment, NES countries are ESL environments.

Entry level "qualifications", including CELTA, will not make you aware of the difference. CELTA is an ESL qualification for teaching adults in NES countries.

I've had numerous "teachers" who have applied for jobs who are not even aware there is a difference.  And I've never seen these professional issues discussed on this forum either. It seems to be taboo to discuss professional issues on this forum.

No Thai teacher would understand the difference between ESL and EFL either.

I fully understand the difference between ESL and EFL. 

To me the strategy of teaching to a class all from one culture is an easier adjustment than  teaching ESL where everyone is from many cultures.

You adjust.

I don't quite get why you call most foreign teachers here hypocritical.

You have also not stated the criteria of what makes a foreigner "qualified" in your opinion.

3 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

No Thai teacher would understand the difference between ESL and EFL either.

I fully understand the difference between ESL and EFL. 

To me the strategy of teaching to a class all from one culture is an easier adjustment than  teaching ESL where everyone is from many cultures.

You adjust.

I don't quite get why you call most foreign teachers here hypocritical.

You have also not stated the criteria of what makes a foreigner "qualified" in your opinion.

> Thai teachers have never been taught the ESL method have they! So why would they need to learn the difference.

> Your posts to date show you to be a classic ESL teacher with no understanding for example of L1 in the classroom.

> Farangs here adjust? Read more widely the history on this forum. Not much evidence of adjustment, but plenty of evidence of hypocrisy.

> Yes I have given you the definition of qualified, but on a separate post to avoid confusion: qualifed teacher = qualified to teach in a government school on a mainstream programme in your own country; unqualified = enough to get by for a couple of years on waivers in a Thai government school, but below the standard of qualification required of the Thai teachers you work with.

1 minute ago, My Thai Life said:

> Thai teachers have never been taught the ESL method have they! So why would they need to learn the difference.

> Your posts to date show you to be a classic ESL teacher with no understanding for example of L1 in the classroom.

> Farangs here adjust? Read more widely the history on this forum. Not much evidence of adjustment, but plenty of evidence of hypocrisy.

> Yes I have given you the definition of qualified, but on a separate post to avoid confusion: qualifed teacher = qualified to teach in a government school on a mainstream programme in your own country; unqualified = enough to get by for a couple of years on waivers in a Thai government school, but below the standard of qualification required of the Thai teachers you work with.

Thai teachers just spout rote learning of grammar, but foreigners need a higher level?

Why don't you come out and say you're insisting on BEd's from home country?

You would remove 95% of NES teachers?

You are actively advocating for this with the MOE?

Death to the English programs in Thailand.

Have you ever taught side by side with a Thai English teacher?

No, thought not.

Just now, duanebigsby said:

Thai teachers just spout rote learning of grammar, but foreigners need a higher level?

Why don't you come out and say you're insisting on BEd's from home country?

You would remove 95% of NES teachers?

You are actively advocating for this with the MOE?

Death to the English programs in Thailand.

Have you ever taught side by side with a Thai English teacher?

No, thought not.

> Just because I think the majority of farang teachers are ill-equipped to teach in government schools in Thailand does not mean I think the majority of Thai English teachers are better.

> I'm not insisting on BEds. you asked me for a defintion of qualified, I gave you a simple generally accepted definition of qualified.

> I've said before, I think farang teachers in government schools are an ineffective and expensive overhead. Woud you employ a foreign teacher in your own country who can't speak your language - of course not!

> Yes, I regularly teach with Thai teachers. I have also coached several hundred.

Duane, you and I are not going to agree about this, we are off topic, and I don't want the mods to feel obliged to delete all this (as I think it's an interesting and relevant discussion) or issue warnings, so let's just agree to disagree, ok. Have a good night, cheers.

It's almost comical to react to these stories.

My stepson, who since I'd been in his life since he was 4, hence speaks perfect American English as does his Mom, (although she has this weird Thai/Chicago accent, but I still love her,) and he eventually managed to graduate college in the US, used to come home with some of the most ludicrous critiques of his English homework

I remember one memorable moment when me and my wife went to visit the school and the 'english' teacher.

I speak Thai, so we did the pleasantries, but then me and my wife switched to English. The 'english' teacher went into that Thai deer in the headlights look. If it hadn't been so serious it would have been hilarious

1 hour ago, My Thai Life said:

Why should either set be aware of the other in order that their own performance is to standard in their field?  I agree though that it would demonstrate a lack of professional awareness from any particular candidate which would make me think twice unless they were new to the game. 

Meanwhile, as I mentioned earlier the experienced teachers who were here for years have mostly been replaced by these very 'waiver-runners' you are complaining about.  They lack your holy grail of home-country QTS qualifications or any experience.

4 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Duane, you and I are not going to agree about this, we are off topic, and I don't want the mods to feel obliged to delete all this (as I think it's an interesting and relevant discussion) or issue warnings, so let's just agree to disagree, ok. Have a good night, cheers.

You're right. we won't agree.

I would be very much interested in your solutions or suggestions to improve English in Thailand.

Teaching qualifications/licenses do imply BEd's. Far too much money for gov't schools.

I do value your opposing view to mine...it's how we learn. 

Cheers.

Just tell the teacher that teaching English is not her cup of tea. She should get another job and meanwhile the school should consider teaching French instead of English. Why? Because French is just as useful as English and more elegant too.

From work travel to french speaking north Africans countries, I find that the students make less mistakes in their french both spoken and written I was amazed.

I am sure Thais can speak french better than English, particularly suitable for transvestite , gay, transexual, because of its soft spoken nature of the language.

The education should given it serious consideration, because Thai language is itself soft spoken so it is suitable for Thai to learn french.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to inject a little lighthearted 'banter', When I was teaching, I loved giving the students the following non punctuated sentence and asking them to punctuate it:

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher

Give it a go if you're bored.  "Answers on my desk in the morning!"

And about these...sentences ..

1. A ship-shipping ship ships shipping-ships.

2."Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo." 

3. Police police Police police police police Police police.

4. Can-can can-can can can can can can-can.

5. Will, will Will will Will Will’s will?

6. Rose rose to put rose roes on her rows of roses.

7. If it is it, it is it; if it is it is it, it is.

8. That that exists exists in that that that that exists exists in.

I'm not native english ;

we can find similar examples in other languages such as french

3 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

That just shows all the words joined up with underscores!!

The correct answer is:

James, while John had had "had", had had "had had"; "had had" had had a better effect on the teacher.

It just shows that cheating sometimes backfires!

Archived