Nonsense English exam answers

mii maker

13 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

I'm afraid that you forgot to mention the biggest group of foreign teachers in Thailand. Those who made it happen to receive a teacher's license, unfortunately, many based on forged documents. Most of these teachers have got a teacher's license from Khurusapha, but you'll hardly find Caucasian teachers with such a license. 

Everyone in my office has a full teaching licence. I'm on my third. We stopped using agencies a while back as the backpackers just couldn't cut it and many left after a few months. 80% of the teachers now are non-native speakers, as there are many more of them who qualify to get the full teaching licence. 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Everyone in my office has a full teaching licence. I'm on my third. We stopped using agencies a while back as the backpackers just couldn't cut it and many left after a few months. 80% of the teachers now are non-native speakers, as there are many more of them who qualify to get the full teaching licence. 

Are you on your third 5-year license, or on your third provisional teacher's license? Sorry, when I'm asking, but it's often mixed up with the waiver, that's only good for two years.  If everyone in your office has got the 5-year teacher's license your school seems to be an exception. 

2 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Are you on your third 5-year license, or on your third provisional teacher's license? Sorry, when I'm asking, but it's often mixed up with the waiver, that's only good for two years.  If everyone in your office has got the 5-year teacher's license your school seems to be an exception. 

No, the third 5-year licence....most of us have qualifications; one teacher passed the 4 Thai exams. Our newest teacher will have been in the school two years, but he will retire at the end of this academic year. A few have been here 5 years, while the rest of us are between 10 and 17 years (mix of native and non-native speakers). It's just attrition as to why we are the ones left who have licences. I'm almost certain if I quit I will be replaced by a non-native speaker, as there are very few qualified and experienced native speakers left here....or they could be here but the starting salaries are not enough to attract them.  

It’s unfortunate as I’ve never been a school teacher I don’t know if there’s measures in place to make sure teachers are teaching correctly and efficiently.

Not only Thailand but other APAC schools the country only requires an 8th grade education. Further education 9-12 grade student has to pay a fee. If I’m incorrect please correct me. 

With very few few exceptions there are not many people in the world that will be prepared (some what) to take care of themselves with only 

a 8th grade education.

As parents,Teachers,Adults etc. We need to make sure the children have at basic/enough education to have the slightest chance of surviving. 

To the the best of my understanding and I may be incorrect. minimum age to work is 18 yrs.old, Working in a bar 20 yrs old. Only added bar as in the NE this seems to be one of the fewer work options available.

If a person doesn’t have the funds to continue eduction after 8th grade 

(A guy age 13-14 yrs. old). When finish school until legal age what do the children do. Understanding some may work on farm but from looks 

of it not a lot work the farms at this age. 

Some will take it upon themselves to read and learn. Some will work farms. Some will look for trouble. Some will unintentionally get in trouble. In the village most shops will sell to anyone any age. I know sometimes I ask the nephew or niece to buy me alcohol, soda whatever. 

One is 6 years old. They never come back empty handed. 

My my point is School be mandatory through high school (17-18 years old) there should be free education until you finish high school. If not a system in place to provide funds for families that can’t afford it. 

Read this yesterday in US news. Amazing! And good on them to offer this. It’s available to anyone and everyone seeking education in this field 

New York University School of Medicine announced that it will give all medical students free tuition

Just now, DavisH said:

No, the third 5-year licence....most of us have qualifications; one teacher passed the 4 Thai exams. Our newest teacher will have been in the school two years, but he will retire at the end of this academic year. A few have been here 5 years, while the rest of us are between 10 and 17 years (mix of native and non-native speakers). It's just attrition as to why we are the ones left who have licences. I'm almost certain if I quit I will be replaced by a non-native speaker, as there are very few qualified and experienced native speakers left here....or they could be here but the starting salaries are not enough to attract them.  

Thank you very much for your answer. Honestly speaking, I've had around 3,000 baht more ten years ago and I  partly blame the agencies for it. They were the ones who started to pay Filipinos 10 K/month. Of course, did many schools follow and many foreigners are not able to pay all the bills that are much higher than they were ten years ago. 

Very annoying is the fact that more and more schools hire unqualified teachers and let them work as trainers or teacher's assistant. My license will be at my school in a few weeks but if that continues I do not know if I'm willing to cope with all the bs from year to year. If nothing is changing and things get worse, I'll go back and forget about teaching in Thailand. We are all different, but we can't eat stones. 

16 hours ago, DJ54 said:

It’s unfortunate as I’ve never been a school teacher I don’t know if there’s measures in place to make sure teachers are teaching correctly and efficiently.

Not only Thailand but other APAC schools the country only requires an 8th grade education. Further education 9-12 grade student has to pay a fee. If I’m incorrect please correct me. 

With very few few exceptions there are not many people in the world that will be prepared (some what) to take care of themselves with only 

a 8th grade education.

As parents,Teachers,Adults etc. We need to make sure the children have at basic/enough education to have the slightest chance of surviving. 

To the the best of my understanding and I may be incorrect. minimum age to work is 18 yrs.old, Working in a bar 20 yrs old. Only added bar as in the NE this seems to be one of the fewer work options available.

If a person doesn’t have the funds to continue eduction after 8th grade 

(A guy age 13-14 yrs. old). When finish school until legal age what do the children do. Understanding some may work on farm but from looks 

of it not a lot work the farms at this age. 

Some will take it upon themselves to read and learn. Some will work farms. Some will look for trouble. Some will unintentionally get in trouble. In the village most shops will sell to anyone any age. I know sometimes I ask the nephew or niece to buy me alcohol, soda whatever. 

One is 6 years old. They never come back empty handed. 

My my point is School be mandatory through high school (17-18 years old) there should be free education until you finish high school. If not a system in place to provide funds for families that can’t afford it. 

Read this yesterday in US news. Amazing! And good on them to offer this. It’s available to anyone and everyone seeking education in this field 

New York University School of Medicine announced that it will give all medical students free tuition

Education in Thailand is provided mainly by the Thai government through the Ministry of Education from pre-school to senior high school. A free basic education of fifteen years is guaranteed by the constitution.[4]

Compulsory education ends with Mattayom 3 (grade 9), after which pupils can pursue an upper-secondary education in a university-preparatory track, or continue their studies in vocational school programs.[5]

If you want to bring your child to a"better school", even if the school only has got a good name, it's getting expensive. They'll ask you for at least 20 K, but it could also be 50 K, depending on the structure and how many people are involved in this scam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Thailand

This is a great example in the result of most good English teachers leaving the country due to the insane requirements needed now to stay in the country. So they fill the positions with Filipinos and pay them 10,000 baht a month. Very sad indeed.

24 minutes ago, jimcarr65 said:

This is a great example in the result of most good English teachers leaving the country due to the insane requirements needed now to stay in the country. So they fill the positions with Filipinos and pay them 10,000 baht a month. Very sad indeed.

Where are you getting the 10k baht figure?

Filipinos are making a little more than double that.

On 8/18/2018 at 10:06 AM, jenny2017 said:

Please visit the school and have a chat with the director. Your daughter is most of the time right, and her teacher is so wrong that it already hurts. The teacher has absolutely no idea about the English language at all. Let the girl know that she did well, no matter what grade the teacher will give her. 

Please be aware that the judges of speech competitions are often corrupt and let the best paying parents' kid win. I've seen it with my own eyes, no hearsay. 

Great advice @jenny2017. I have been there done that many times. I have talked to the Director of my son's Private School numerous time. They nod their head but nothing changes. 

Needless to say my son now goes to a different school.

14 hours ago, JWRC said:

What a complete and utter mess. I would be interested to know what nationality the English teacher is. I will have a guess at this and say Fillipino or Thai.

Filipino teachers are far better than you're giving them credit for.

Could also be German, French, ,or some where in Africa teachers.

5 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

Where are you getting the 10k baht figure?

Filipinos are making a little more than double that.

The minimum for a Filipino teacher (2018) is 15,000 which they are trying to push to 20,000.  It can vary a lot depending upon qualifications and experience.  Some Filipinos who have been teaching here for several years can earn up to 30,000.

But it has been reported that many Filipino teachers are returning to their home country because of the way they are treated here.  Some say that salary is paid according to your skin colour.  It goes without saying that physically it's difficult to tell the difference between a Filipino/Filipina and a Thai person.

9 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Here's the exam with the right answers. Some typos do exist, but it's shocking how bad the teacher is. 

You'll need a good PDF reader, I was using Nitro 11 Pro. Please let me know if you can see the answers, it will be easy to change the format. 

1088207746_Englishexam.pdf checked.pdf

It's Sunday morning and I was bored so I checked your test. Sorry but you got a few wrong:

15-4, 16-4, 20-1, 38-1, 42-1, 49-3, 50-2, 62-4, 92-4, 94-3, 95-3, 96-2.

You maybe in a bit of a frog there.

Lucky she's getting her exams back. I never get to see them. If my marks seem to be reasonable why question it.
On the other hand, the learning result or feedback equals to zero because you never know what answers you did wrong and how to improve yourself.

On 8/18/2018 at 11:47 AM, Chrisdoc said:

I guess the teacher is from the Phillipines. It must be pretty easy to get a degree there which makes the requirement for a degree to teach in Thailand a joke. My niece's teacher at an expensive international school is from the Phillipines and after half a year she can't even have a "Hello, How are you conversation?". I guess the new teacher is better than the Thai one at the government school. After 4 years of English she knows nothing.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Hear, hear.

Had a M2 class. Mostly girls, eager to learn. Most couldn't read. I approached the HoD and offered help, but needed a Thai to help. Well, you can guess the outcome. We are letting the kids down!

OTOH, I've met several 5 year olds who can speak well. Parents seem to understand and take matters into their own hands.

An English teacher at a village school (just a few hundred kids) cannot hold a conversation, but has been pulling about 45 k THB.

Last week, I was observed by someone who needed Google translate. and no, the school has not managed to clarify what exactly they want me to do. (My boss demands grammar. someone else says to stick to conversation).

Stir-fried tofu or a grilled chicken? The internal communication at schools often stinks.

If it was just one or two, I would say maybe the teacher made a mistake. 

But with so many wrong when it is easily correct, it clearly looks deliberate. 

It's obvious the teacher either doesn't like your daughter, or the other student was already prepicked and the teacher helped her along a bit. 

You better get used to it, they do it to my son all the time. If you want your daughter to enter competitions, you can enter her as an independent and go on your own. I do that with my son, and we win all the time. 

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You are misunderstanding the Thai education system,

Quite a lot of English teachers are Thai floosies of important government officials, parked there to draw a wage while banging the 'influential person'. Which is essentially why they can't teach English. Pointing out their failings to the director will probably result in bad results for your pupil.

I have a close association with two native English speaking Thai children, one aged 20 is classed as 2nd best English speaking pupil in Chiang Mai, failed her year in High school because she spoke better English than the 'pretty' who was her teacher. Another aged 7, fully bilingual, classed as 'slow' by his class teacher who can't speak one word of English, and 'poor' by his elderly untrained American English teacher who bores him so much that he doesn't participate in the class.

I may be a bad teacher, but one thing I've done is try my best to  m o t i v a t e  all students. Harsh, abrasive words => that ain't no way to make them like English.

Nobody is perfect. Let's help the Thai kids relax and lose their fear & inhibition.

I think you'll find that the Filipinos would put any Thai to shame with their English.  It is an official language in the Philippines and is widely spoken.  In fact, it's the third largest English speaking country in the world!  All court records, technical manuals, medical books etc, are in English. English TV shows and movies are never dubbed like they are in Thailand.
I know several Filipinos in Thailand and every one without exception speaks very good English. 
Choice between a Thai teaching English and a Filipino, the obvious answer is the Filipino every time! 

You must be thinking of some other country.
I don't see how you think I am comparing a Thai teacher to one from the Phillipines? I am saying that someone who is a native English speaker would be a better teacher than a non native English speaker. I have friends from the Phillipines who are very good with English but they also have very good jobs in the Phillipines and I don't think that ones who find their way to teach in Thailand are as well equipped as a native English speaking teacher. I can only go by my experience with my niece at an expensive international school. I dont believe her English language teacher from the Phillipines is competent. Maybe she speaks English well but is not competent as a teacher. I assume her degree is in teaching not English language.

52 minutes ago, Chrisdoc said:

I don't see how you think I am comparing a Thai teacher to one from the Phillipines? I am saying that someone who is a native English speaker would be a better teacher than a non native English speaker. I have friends from the Phillipines who are very good with English but they also have very good jobs in the Phillipines and I don't think that ones who find their way to teach in Thailand are as well equipped as a native English speaking teacher. I can only go by my experience with my niece at an expensive international school. I dont believe her English language teacher from the Phillipines is competent. Maybe she speaks English well but is not competent as a teacher. I assume her degree is in teaching not English language.

You assumed the English teacher was a Filipina because of the bad marking.  We are in Thailand and commenting on a Thai school so you were automatically comparing with a Thai teacher and implying that the Filipina is even worse that Thai 'English' teachers.

2 hours ago, Petchou said:

I think the student answers are the ones with pencil circled.  it's impossible that a teacher get everything wrong.   

Nope, the OP has already indicated above the circled answers are those of the teacher.

And that teacher didn't quite get "everything" wrong, but they came pretty close to that.

On 8/19/2018 at 4:08 PM, jenny2017 said:

Here's the exam with the right answers. Some typos do exist, but it's shocking how bad the teacher is. 

You'll need a good PDF reader, I was using Nitro 11 Pro. Please let me know if you can see the answers, it will be easy to change the format. 

1088207746_Englishexam.pdf checked.pdf

Thank you very much.

Finally, The teacher has realised that the answer key is wrong and told the students to recheck their exam today, but the student who confused about the correct answers and gave me the exam paper forgot to bring the exam paper to school, so she had to retake the exam. She gets 71/100 after taking the same exam paper given by her teacher and checked by her teacher.

She supposed to get more than 80 points because she had studied the correct answers from this pdf and input them on her new exam paper and the new exam teacher gives to her is the same.

Maybe, The teacher's new answer key doesn't match the choice she has answered? Because there is more than one possible answer on some questions.

You assumed the English teacher was a Filipina because of the bad marking.  We are in Thailand and commenting on a Thai school so you were automatically comparing with a Thai teacher and implying that the Filipina is even worse that Thai 'English' teachers.
No. I was commenting on my niece's teachers.. She went to a government school for 4 years and learnt nothing from Thais teaching English. Now she is at an international school and has a filipino English teacher. The year started in May and she has learnt nothing in 4 months. Which is the worst teacher?The Thais who taught her nothing in 4 years or the filipino who taught her nothing in 4 months? It would be funny if it wasn't a child's education we are talking about. She is proficient at other subjects.

Now. She feels uncertain with correct answers on this one, most items seem to make sense to me except, item no. 13.

Also, she needs accurate explanations for every item on this sheet.

She couldn't understand the grammar explanation on her sheet (given by her teacher). Could anyone suggest any good, accurate grammar books written in English? I wanna teach her grammar.

201808201925561002.jpg

201808201925561003.jpg

clauses.pdf

201808201925561000.jpg

201808201925561001.jpg

On 8/19/2018 at 7:00 PM, jimcarr65 said:

And they get what they pay for.

1 hour ago, mii maker said:

Now. She feels uncertain with correct answers on this one, most items seem to make sense to me except, item no. 13.

Also, she needs accurate explanations for every item on this sheet.

She couldn't understand the grammar explanation on her sheet (given by her teacher). Could anyone suggest any good, accurate grammar books written in English? I wanna teach her grammar.

201808201925561002.jpg

201808201925561003.jpg

clauses.pdf

201808201925561000.jpg

201808201925561001.jpg

Re: No 13- It's a shortened version of "The fact that I am not always right is quite obvious," if that makes the logic any easier.

EDIT:  A lot of the grammar that is being tested in the first couple of pages of the exam is archaic as well as being complex for a beginner/ inter level student.  I will be happy to explain it to you by PM if you drop me a line.

Archived