Meal Or Myth

taxexile

i was talking to someone yesterday who had recently returned from a trip to some of the more out of the way places in asia. he told me of a delicacy that he encountered , either in laos or in india , i cant remember exactly.

has anybody else heard of or come across this delicacy ?

a chicken is killed and left in the heat of the sun for one day.

it will soon become covered with flies.

it is then placed on a dish under a glass cover.

shortly afterwards , maggots (from the flies) hatch and begin to devour the flesh of the chicken.

soon there is nothing left but a heaving mass of maggots.

eventually the maggots start eating themselves until all that is left is a very small number of very large and very succulent well fed maggots.

it is these maggots that are prized and considered a rare and valuable delicacy to be eaten live and raw.

sound disgusting i know , but has anybody else heard of this , or was it just a travellers tale from someone who has spent too long in the sun ?

i was talking to someone yesterday who had recently returned from a trip to some of the more out of the way places in asia. he told me of a delicacy that he encountered , either in laos or in india , i cant remember exactly.

shortly afterwards , maggots (from the flies) hatch and begin to devour the flesh of the chicken.

eventually the maggots start eating themselves until all that is left is a very small number of very large and very succulent well fed maggots.

it is these maggots that are prized and considered a rare and valuable delicacy to be eaten live and raw.

sound disgusting i know , but has anybody else heard of this , or was it just a travellers tale from someone who has spent too long in the sun ?

Sounds feasible. It's protein.

Come'on man.... RARE? You can just put a chicken under the sun by yourself and will get these maggots...

I would say definately a traveller's tale for entertaining his chums in the Carpenter's Arms on those cold and dark winter nights.

Canniballistic super maggots. :o Yeah, I can see it now. World traveller decides to take some home for his friends to try out but they escape from his luggage halfway through a 12 hour flight. :D Could make a halfway decent movie starring Mr Bean. :D

The fly life cycle is composed of four stages: egg, larva (commonly known as a maggot), pupa, adult. The eggs are laid in decaying flesh, animal dung, manure, or pools of stagnant water - whatever has ample food for the larva, generally in a moist area. After 8-20 hours, the egg hatches and the fly enters the maggot stage. It begins to feed on whatever the egg was laid on, usually decomposing flesh. The maggot gorges itself with food until it is ready to enter the pupal stage, at which point the maggot travels away from the food source to a moist spot, therfore in order for the "megaMaggot" to eat the remaining maggotts, surely the other maggotts would have to die......

Therefore its a myth, but send it in to Mythbusters, good for a laugh

The fly life cycle is composed of four stages: egg, larva (commonly known as a maggot), pupa, adult. The eggs are laid in decaying flesh, animal dung, manure, or pools of stagnant water - whatever has ample food for the larva, generally in a moist area. After 8-20 hours, the egg hatches and the fly enters the maggot stage. It begins to feed on whatever the egg was laid on, usually decomposing flesh. The maggot gorges itself with food until it is ready to enter the pupal stage, at which point the maggot travels away from the food source to a moist spot, therfore in order for the "megaMaggot" to eat the remaining maggotts, surely the other maggotts would have to die......

Therefore its a myth, but send it in to Mythbusters, good for a laugh

You left out the imago stage. Anyway, not important, do tell, where is this place? I can't wait to wade into a bowl of witcheties. Yummeeeeeeeeeeee.

The fly life cycle is composed of four stages: egg, larva (commonly known as a maggot), pupa, adult.

You left out the imago stage.

The adult is the imago.

Quite feasable.................they say that the maggots in very mature blue stilton taste of the cheese, but their flavour is enhanced when swilled down with a good vintage port

Never found any maggots in my stilton ! Only fungus.

The fly life cycle is composed of four stages: egg, larva (commonly known as a maggot), pupa, adult.

You left out the imago stage.

The adult is the imago.

Sorry PM, I just liked the way the word rolls around the tongue. Like megamaggots. Yummeeeeeeeeeeeeee. :o

Quite feasable.................they say that the maggots in very mature blue stilton taste of the cheese, but their flavour is enhanced when swilled down with a good vintage port

Never found any maggots in my stilton ! Only fungus.