Areca lodge or Dvaree jomtiem

Mattybyrne88

First time In Thailand and staying in Pattaya for 4 nights. My last change my bookings for free. First 3 nights in Bangkok then 4 in Pattaya and last 4 in Bangkok.  All the action seems to be happening around the Areca but the Dvaree looks nice. I'm here for the women and partying and shopping. Should I book an extra night in Pattaya and should I do all nights in Areca 

skip the first 3 days in BKK and start right in Pattaya, especially if you arrive in the day and can take a bus from the airport to Pattaya. Taxis are not that expensive and you can arrive and take one at any time of day.  If the first trip I suggest it is better to arrive during the day and travel during the day so you see your way around a bit better.  BKK has plenty of things for you to try, and it sounds like staying anywhere along the BTS skytrain and experiencing Soi cowboy and Nana might be your primary goal.

2 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

skip the first 3 days in BKK and start right in Pattaya, especially if you arrive in the day and can take a bus from the airport to Pattaya. Taxis are not that expensive and you can arrive and take one at any time of day.  If the first trip I suggest it is better to arrive during the day and travel during the day so you see your way around a bit better.  BKK has plenty of things for you to try, and it sounds like staying anywhere along the BTS skytrain and experiencing Soi cowboy and Nana might be your primary goal.

Straight to Pattaya ? It really is a difficult decision as I most likely won't be in Thailand again for a very long time. Booked a hotel near asok in Bangkok but now with only 2 days before I can change books  I'm having second thoughts. Is going direct to pattaya worth it ? Or would 4 nights be enough 

2 minutes ago, Mattybyrne88 said:

Straight to Pattaya ? It really is a difficult decision as I most likely won't be in Thailand again for a very long time. Booked a hotel near asok in Bangkok but now with only 2 days before I can change books  I'm having second thoughts. Is going direct to pattaya worth it ? Or would 4 nights be enough 

In my opine 4 nights is not enough.  My first trip was 10 days, second trip was 14 days, then subsequent trips worked my way up to two months at one point.  In Pattaya a day trip by speed boat to Ko larn the island and some water fit for swimming.  a night or two of playing pool with the girls can be fun, a night of drinking and karaoke can be a blast, soapy massage, of course foot massage or oil massage every day.  Take a girl to TIffany show or the other place.  It is different.  Hire a girl with a motorbike for two days getting around town.   Ride up to big buddha.  I recommend a day at nong nooch garden just because it really is pretty and relaxing.  A day of walking around, lounging at the hotel pool.  Thai barbecue at Big C with that killer barbecue sauce tabletop.  A hot day.. take in a movie, or hit one at night for a few hours.  Two nights at walking street will leave a lot unseen.  Plenty of side streets to experience. 

5 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

In my opine 4 nights is not enough.  My first trip was 10 days, second trip was 14 days, then subsequent trips worked my way up to two months at one point.  In Pattaya a day trip by speed boat to Ko larn the island and some water fit for swimming.  a night or two of playing pool with the girls can be fun, a night of drinking and karaoke can be a blast, soapy massage, of course foot massage or oil massage every day.  Take a girl to TIffany show or the other place.  It is different.  Hire a girl with a motorbike for two days getting around town.   Ride up to big buddha.  I recommend a day at nong nooch garden just because it really is pretty and relaxing.  A day of walking around, lounging at the hotel pool.  Thai barbecue at Big C with that killer barbecue sauce tabletop.  A hot day.. take in a movie, or hit one at night for a few hours.  Two nights at walking street will leave a lot unseen.  Plenty of side streets to experience. 

My head is melted now lol. Pattaya seems like an ideal place for me but I don't want to regret not seeing much of  bangkok. I don't know if I could fit everything into 4 days in bangkok. If I go to pattaya for 7 days I just don't want to get bored. 

Just now, Mattybyrne88 said:

Any other recommendations

Well, I had practically stayed in every hotel in Pattaya including those two. And yes, I did in fact get food poisoning during a "Chinese horde" buffet breakfast in one of those hotels.

I don't know your budget, but what I usually do is go to orbitz, try to use their coupon if I can and look for 4 star hotels that are deeply discounted for the week. Personally I like to stay at Woodlands and they have recently renovated the breakfast area and it looks quite nice.

Flipper house or flipper lodge are OK.  Have gotten a bit pricey.  Eastiny Place was my first hotel in 2004 and stayed again in 2010.  The pool at Eastiny place is not great though because it is in the middle of the hotel and not much to look at.  Opey Place right up the street from Areca Lodge is OK.  Lek Hotel is OK.  Nothing fancy but better than 3 star motel 6

Definitely select the Soi Diana area whee Areca is over Jomtien if you are here for girls as you state.  Any hotel along the baht bus path of Beach Road and Second Road is good from Walking Street to Soi 3.  Where Areca is located is an ideal spot but there are other nearby hotels which are nicer.  What is your nightly hotel budget?  You can try the Baraquda on 2nd Road or one of the LK hotels like LK Empress, LK Residence, or LK Metropole.  You can get a room at View Talay 6 condo.  There are many.  Many cheaper options on Soi 7 and Soi 8 near Central Festival.

I wouldn't stay in Jomtien if you want to be near the action as you hinted at.

4 days Pattaya and 3 days BKK are ok but I would come straight to Pattaya then decide how much you like it and head to Bangkok if you get bored.  

3 hours ago, Mattybyrne88 said:

WENT AND BOOKED APRIL SUITES FOR 3 nights.

All booked now so 7 nights pattaya and 4 night Bangkok ???✈️

Four nights is good for Bkk, can always push the pace when sightseeing in a city. Switching rooms from central Pattaya to Jomtien after four or five nights wouldn't have been the best way to go if you were enjoying the nightlife. 

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

Four nights is good for Bkk, can always push the pace when sightseeing in a city. Switching rooms from central Pattaya to Jomtien after four or five nights wouldn't have been the best way to go if you were enjoying the nightlife. 

Unless your going in peak season Jomtien is a 10-15 minute, ฿10 ride by baht bus to Walking Street. After my initial vacation I always stayed in Jontien. Better options for chilling out during the daytime at Jomtien Beach too. I think you will enjoy your time in the Pattaya area as long as you have the stamina. 

9 hours ago, pegman said:

Unless your going in peak season Jomtien is a 10-15 minute, ฿10 ride by baht bus to Walking Street. After my initial vacation I always stayed in Jontien. Better options for chilling out during the daytime at Jomtien Beach too. I think you will enjoy your time in the Pattaya area as long as you have the stamina. 

I'll be doing 5 days in Pattaya which should be enough. Jomtiem is ideal for last two nights to relax 

13 hours ago, Mattybyrne88 said:

I'll be doing 5 days in Pattaya which should be enough. Jomtiem is ideal for last two nights to relax 

Jomtien is a gay resort. Russian families, brit retired guys characterless and pointless.  A waste of time. NO reason to go there. So boring it's painful.

2 hours ago, The manic said:

Jomtien is a gay resort. Russian families, brit retired guys characterless and pointless.  A waste of time. NO reason to go there. So boring it's painful.

I would describe it as the best area in Pattaya, but then I am a retired characterless Brit. Apart from a few restaurants I have no reason to go to Pattaya itself, and it's nice not to have the traffic where I am.

4 hours ago, The manic said:

Fine, you stick with the smog and noise and we will do just fine without you. Bye the way, where is BoysTown? 555!

On 8/21/2018 at 9:15 AM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

And yes, I did in fact get food poisoning during a "Chinese horde" buffet breakfast in one of those hotels.

At the Areca???

Chinese hordes in the Soi Diana area?

Areca for cheap charlies?

I must have missed a lot over the years.

2 hours ago, pegman said:

Fine, you stick with the smog and noise and we will do just fine without you. Bye the way, where is BoysTown? 555!

Boystown is in Pattaya. There is also the equivalent is in jomtien including many gay bars, resorts and  a gay beach. There's nothing wrong with that but it's useful to know for first the time visitor. Jomtien is fairly ghastly and a first time visitors has no reason to visit.

10 hours ago, Mattybyrne88 said:

Breakfast is never a problem as I'm usually awake by 1pm with my head in a mess

Think you mentioned somewhere you're coming in from the UK... if so don't worry about about adjusting your body clock or any jetlag strategies, just stay on UK time and you'll be fine. If you like to sleep around midnight and get up late morning back home, do exactly the same here and you'll be getting in at dawn and enjoying breakfast an hour before sunset...

1 hour ago, The manic said:

Boystown is in Pattaya. There is also the equivalent is in jomtien including many gay bars, resorts and  a gay beach. There's nothing wrong with that but it's useful to know for first the time visitor. Jomtien is fairly ghastly and a first time visitors has no reason to visit.

It's somewhere different and not to far from central pattaya and it will be perfect to relax and cure my alcohol poisoning before my onwards journey to Bangkok 

Archived