Mercedes Benz GLC 250d Review

15 hours ago, frankphuket said:

The air circulation always switches off and you need to push the button again in order to keep it circulating inside...annoying.

Any smart car works this way to avoid moisture. Why do you need air circulating ? Benz have good filters for exterior air.

I do not buy diesel and I understand your "The car has grown on me, or rather it feels smaller than my initial thoughts". because even the S-class feels too small after few months...

204 hp/3800 rpm is a bit on the low side, but it's the minimum acceptable to have an interesting car to drive.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2018 at 1:09 AM, gaff said:

Any smart car works this way to avoid moisture. Why do you need air circulating ? Benz have good filters for exterior air.

I do not buy diesel and I understand your "The car has grown on me, or rather it feels smaller than my initial thoughts". because even the S-class feels too small after few months...

204 hp/3800 rpm is a bit on the low side, but it's the minimum acceptable to have an interesting car to drive.

Problem is that the car does it randomly and mostly I know it because i can feel odors coming in, so even Benz "might" have great filters, my nose is 'better'! :p Most other cars you are in control, and switch the circulation on/off as you please...Benz thinks it MUST do it for you whenever it thinks necessary. Sometimes i feel cars are getting too smart....or maybe i am getting old.

I do quite like Diesel engines, they have good shove in most regular driving conditions and fit an SUV rather well; not fond of the noise though. 

Would prefer the new GLC43 AMG too....hehe, but a bit out of budget. 

• Like 1

Interesting review Frank.  The transmission control and air ventilation are the same on some other Benz models.  The air con filter is no where near good enough in Thai traffic to keep fumes out.  The gear lever design is a very good copy of an indicator stalk.  Very easy for those not familiar with this to accidentally get N when indicating to overtake.  You do get accustomed to these qirks but they are not good design.

The F-Pace is a bit plasticy and the rotary gear selector is also a little clumsy.  The Jag air re-circulation will latch on but it must be selected on every start, like the stupid auto start stop.  I do like the F-Pace exterior styling a little better than the GLC, but that's just me.  Some things were better controlled with simple switches.  

I recall a poster complaining about some issue with tyre scrub on sharp turns with the GLC.  Have you encountered this?

i have a Merc AMG63 ML wagon, since new 2009, has been a good vehicle, some minor problems that go with age

still running strong.

when i arrived in Phuket Mercedes dealer was useless... i even had to buy mine in Bangkok at an authorised Mercedes dealer as the sales people or whomever in Phuket would never return my call and when i arrived for a service they looked stunned...

there was an enormous language difficulty in the beginning when i pointed out items that needed repairing or replacing and many times i would turn up and the service was done but no repairs so the vehicle had to go back again, the thing that annoys me the most and its not just with Mercedes but also Honda and Ford, if you need a part they want a deposit and then they order stock from Bangkok, whereas we are use to having vehicles just fixed and when we collect we pay in total, they holding the vehicle so whats the problem. Ford didnt even have a brake bulb in stock for a Ford Ranger... i just laughed and walked out.... Honda oh we have to order battery from bangkok i just took car and went to the nearest battery shop and had one fitted for much less the cost.

Mercedes have improved alot, maybe because more and more mercs are sold and in Phuket, the language has become much better and to make sure i write a list out and stick it to the inside of the window what needs to be done.... sofar so good.

Honda told me the other day my car was ready to be collected, i had a faulty brake switch under peddle which only cost thb300 but the vehicle was also booked in for a new Navigation screen as this one went faulty and cost about

25K, they ahd vehicle for a week called its ready to pick up.... arrived bill only thb300, whereas the invoice for navigation screen, then you get the cashier and girls doing the Thai Dance looking around at each other, obviously it was done, oh its coming then why did you call me, i had to take the vehicle as needed to collect my wife from hospital..... car was dirty and filthy when they gave it back to me as it must have been sitting out the back all week not even a quick wash down... i took it back 2 days later at 9.00am told them i will go to central for breakfast and shopping and will return 1200 please make sure its ready and invocie ready. arrived back all done, but cannot process as cashier back from lunch 1.30 so i had to sit and wait... anyway this is thailand..... 

• Haha 1

I could never justify to myself buying such an expensive car while locally made cars are so much cheaper, but I do like seeing them driving around as it is something different and they are just beautiful to see. 

What I always wondered: do you get supercar parking with it (the special spots at hospitals and shopping centers) or do you need to ask, and have you ever got refused? Always wondered how that works especially for drivers of hi-so cars that are not clearly "supercar".

• Like 1

Thanks for the review Frank. 

Funny enough I have a new e-class and everything is great except for noisy wipers. They ‘skip’ instead of sweeping making a very loud noise. I didn’t have this issue with my last Benz so I took it in for service. Only the drivers side was doing it. After the service now both sides are making the noise so I’ll have to take it in again! 

Did you do anything special to get it finally fixed? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

I could never justify to myself buying such an expensive car while locally made cars are so much cheaper, but I do like seeing them driving around as it is something different and they are just beautiful to see. 

What I always wondered: do you get supercar parking with it (the special spots at hospitals and shopping centers) or do you need to ask, and have you ever got refused? Always wondered how that works especially for drivers of hi-so cars that are not clearly "supercar".

The malls have a guideline for the guards about what is supposed to be able to park there. Mercedes normally isn’t special enough unless it would be something unusual.

I had a Lotus before and was able to park in the supercar spots. Some guards aren’t familiar with cars and I have seen a Toyota MR2 with body kit in the supercar parking and last time in Paragon an old and cheap Jaguar. Some ‘common’ Porsche’s like Macan are sometimes not permitted. 

• Like 2

On 8/25/2018 at 9:29 AM, aussieinphuket said:

i have a Merc AMG63 ML wagon, since new 2009, has been a good vehicle, some minor problems that go with age

still running strong.

when i arrived in Phuket Mercedes dealer was useless... i even had to buy mine in Bangkok at an authorised Mercedes dealer as the sales people or whomever in Phuket would never return my call and when i arrived for a service they looked stunned...

there was an enormous language difficulty in the beginning when i pointed out items that needed repairing or replacing and many times i would turn up and the service was done but no repairs so the vehicle had to go back again, the thing that annoys me the most and its not just with Mercedes but also Honda and Ford, if you need a part they want a deposit and then they order stock from Bangkok, whereas we are use to having vehicles just fixed and when we collect we pay in total, they holding the vehicle so whats the problem. Ford didnt even have a brake bulb in stock for a Ford Ranger... i just laughed and walked out.... Honda oh we have to order battery from bangkok i just took car and went to the nearest battery shop and had one fitted for much less the cost.

Mercedes have improved alot, maybe because more and more mercs are sold and in Phuket, the language has become much better and to make sure i write a list out and stick it to the inside of the window what needs to be done.... sofar so good.

Honda told me the other day my car was ready to be collected, i had a faulty brake switch under peddle which only cost thb300 but the vehicle was also booked in for a new Navigation screen as this one went faulty and cost about

25K, they ahd vehicle for a week called its ready to pick up.... arrived bill only thb300, whereas the invoice for navigation screen, then you get the cashier and girls doing the Thai Dance looking around at each other, obviously it was done, oh its coming then why did you call me, i had to take the vehicle as needed to collect my wife from hospital..... car was dirty and filthy when they gave it back to me as it must have been sitting out the back all week not even a quick wash down... i took it back 2 days later at 9.00am told them i will go to central for breakfast and shopping and will return 1200 please make sure its ready and invocie ready. arrived back all done, but cannot process as cashier back from lunch 1.30 so i had to sit and wait... anyway this is thailand..... 

No problem in BKK except that the idiot there told me that I couldn't put the S-class in my name because I didn't have a work permit 555. What a team of retarded, this is why I do not stay at fiver stars hotels, too many idiots working there compare to EU or US.

still running strong.

Why was language a problem, didn't the people at Mercedes speak proper Thai but only Southern Thai?

I never experienced any of the other problems you describe BTW.

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Why was language a problem, didn't the people at Mercedes speak proper Thai but only Southern Thai?

I never experienced any of the other problems you describe BTW.

You drive a Truk not a Benz.So you say in other posts.

15 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

You drive a Truk not a Benz.So you say in other posts.

So they clean trucks and not cars and spare parts for trucks are all on stock and for cars all have to be ordered from Bangkok? Service for cars is <deleted> and for trucks good? Salespersons for trucks speak proper Thai and for cars only southern Thai?

Bad troll attempt this time mate.

Edited by stevenl

So they clean trucks and not cars and spare parts for trucks are all on stock and for cars all have to be ordered from Bangkok? Service for cars is and for trucks good? Salespersons for trucks speak proper Thai and for cars only southern Thai?

Bad troll attempt this time mate.

More waffle from that horrible little island thats a Car Owners Hell for finding a good dealership. They know the ferangs are a bit dim , and those who can speak Thai run a Cafe or Backpack Hiltons and only buy cheapo trucks. Hua Hins a different story real money and good Dealerships there, wonder.Been that way for 25 years , Phuket old hands still come up here to deal.!.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 8/23/2018 at 10:53 PM, Jitar said:

Interesting review Frank.  The transmission control and air ventilation are the same on some other Benz models.  The air con filter is no where near good enough in Thai traffic to keep fumes out.  The gear lever design is a very good copy of an indicator stalk.  Very easy for those not familiar with this to accidentally get N when indicating to overtake.  You do get accustomed to these qirks but they are not good design.

The F-Pace is a bit plasticy and the rotary gear selector is also a little clumsy.  The Jag air re-circulation will latch on but it must be selected on every start, like the stupid auto start stop.  I do like the F-Pace exterior styling a little better than the GLC, but that's just me.  Some things were better controlled with simple switches.  

I recall a poster complaining about some issue with tyre scrub on sharp turns with the GLC.  Have you encountered this?

no tyre scrub with mine....just the wipers were annoying enough...but fixed now. I also wish they would leave us (users) the option to choose, rather than to let the cars make those decisions. I fully agree some things were better controlled with simple switches...BTW i like the styling of the F-Pace too....and indeed the gear lever has been used for indicators a couple of times in the beginning....a bit scary.

On 8/25/2018 at 10:34 PM, Crash999 said:

Thanks for the review Frank. 

Funny enough I have a new e-class and everything is great except for noisy wipers. They ‘skip’ instead of sweeping making a very loud noise. I didn’t have this issue with my last Benz so I took it in for service. Only the drivers side was doing it. After the service now both sides are making the noise so I’ll have to take it in again! 

Did you do anything special to get it finally fixed? 

yes i insisted with Benz here that this can't be kept like this....made several videos of the noise and send it 3 times. They always say they have polished the window again, but only the last time they "apparently" got some more specialized equipment from BENZ overseas. I have researched and this issue is a worldwide issue with GLC, C and maybe some E series. Was rather disappointed with that, but showed BENZ Phuket my findings on google...so it is not an imaginary problem. I also think the wiper motor is pushing the wipers to strong to the windshield. For me it was mostly the drivers side doing...like a 20 years old wiper which has never been changed! GRRRR

still running strong.

BENZ Phuket, sales staff was good and professional all the way; however the service with the Wiper issue was not handled properly and I saw that the sales staff also got quite sensitive with the issue as i believe i was not alone facing the problem. My car was always cleaned after service...so no issue with that. I do believe the Phuket dealership has a big space problem, it is just too small to deal with all the cars.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2018 at 8:58 AM, frankphuket said:

yes i insisted with Benz here that this can't be kept like this....made several videos of the noise and send it 3 times. They always say they have polished the window again, but only the last time they "apparently" got some more specialized equipment from BENZ overseas. I have researched and this issue is a worldwide issue with GLC, C and maybe some E series. Was rather disappointed with that, but showed BENZ Phuket my findings on google...so it is not an imaginary problem. I also think the wiper motor is pushing the wipers to strong to the windshield. For me it was mostly the drivers side doing...like a 20 years old wiper which has never been changed! GRRRR

Thanks for the background. 

Yeah its it’s very frustrating to be in a quiet nice car cruising along and suddenly BRRRRRP... BRRRRRP... 

The forums seem to suggest this is a problem with RHD cars for whatever reason. Lots of theories why- windshield supplier, blades, motors, etc. 

Looks like I’ll have to keep taking the car back again until they figure it out. 

3 hours ago, mogandave said:

My first guess would be inserts

nope, they exchanged the wiper blades (rubber) twice, as this was my first thought obviously, didn't do one bit....only after the 3rd procedure of window glass treatment (means they somehow apparently have to polish the glass and than treat it again)....it got better and now i am nearly "noise free"....let's say it is better by 95% which i can live with. From what the service guy explained me they had to get specialized equipment for it....but you know, i am not really taking his word for that, might have just been that Benz Thailand didn't give them the go ahead of doing some other treatment....who knows.